New to road racing

sr240sx

I drive a '95 Nissan 240sx. I originally wanted a sporty daily driver and always new I'd pick a specific type of racing once I got another daily driver. Road course racing is what I decided to look into. When I decided on road racing I was worried I would need a better platform but have since then been informed that the 240sx is pretty good. So what I'm asking for is information and or advice on what I should do to do as well as possible and have the most fun.

Currently I have several mods on the car. 17"x7.5 (F) and 17"x9® Sportmaxx rims, Tein lowering springs w/ KYB struts and 300zx brakes. As for the engine, I have a Sr20DET swap with 550cc injectors, top mount tubular manifold, t3/t04e turbo, 2.5" down pipe to a Tanabe 3" exhaust, Greddy front mount intercooler, z32 (300zx) MAF, eprom tune Koyo radiator and ARP head studs.

Any info that would help me in any way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Edited by Guest

get the car reliable (including brakes) and just get out there and do some HPDEs

once you get to HPDE level 3, then worry about modifying the car to work towards w-t-w racing, time trials, or both

In addition to what has already been said, start attending some of the NASA races near you (if they're not already a part of the HPDE). Walk around, watch & learn as much as you can, and talk with people.

• Members

sr240sx, what they are suggesting is to orient on skills, not the car. You could come out in a mini-van and you would still gain the necessary skills, and have the same fun.

Bring your 240sx out and come have the greatest time of your life. You'll find that it's far more difficult and far more fun then you had any idea.

thanks for all of the advice. I plan on riding over to sebring with a few friends to get a better feel of what its all about. I really appreciate all the help. thanks for making me feel welcome. Last forum i was a part of turned into a 1/4 mile forum and i was sorta outcast because of my different interests, racing and car selection. I'm sure ill have any more questions in the mean time any little tidbits of advice are very welcome and will be much appreciated.

Daniel, I don't know if you meant real Road Racing or you're just using the term generically. In NASA there are High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) events where you can take your street car and learn high performance driving. There's also racing.

The HPDE events are for learning to drive on track in a relatively safe environment. IT'S NOT RACING. And you shouldn't confuse it with racing. NASA provides 4 levels of HPDE for beginning to advanced drivers. You're experience and skill are evaluated by volunteer instructors and you advance when you consistently demonstrate certain skills at each level.

Once you reach the advanced level you can apply for a Provisional License and attend a NASA Competition School. There are other paths to getting a Comp License but you should read about them in the Club Codes and Regulations (CCR).

If you're interested in racing, you should attend some events and talk to the racers. NASA has a bunch of classes so you need to decide early in what class you'd like to run. For your car it'll most likely be Super Touring or Performance Touring, which each have several subclasses.

Then you need to ensure your car will meet the rules for that class. You have to be really careful because some modifications may put you into a class where your car is not competitive.

Best of luck.

.... Road course racing is what I decided to look into. ...

Any info that would help me in any way would be greatly appreciated. ...

Daniel,

Welcome to NASA. Once you come out and play, you will be hooked. Sign up for HPDE as soon as you can. Events fill up shortly after registration opens. I know many people that have missed an entire season of driving with us because they wait too long to sign up.

All the advice above is spot on. You have to take the next step and sign up for an event.

If you havnt joined NASA yet, please do so as you may also be missing out on Grassroots Motorsports magazine that is included with your membership.

Best of luck.