American Iron style suspension mods

ajmacdon

I read back through threads vintage 2005 and didn't find this subject, let me know if it's been covered elswhere.

In regards to this rule (similar to AI verbiage about front and rear frame rails):

Every vehicle must retain its OEM front clip, floorpan, and subframe. Tube-frame

chassis conversion (partial or complete) is not permitted without a waiver from the

National ST Director.

1. In AI a strut suspended car (mustang) is allowed to fabricate an SLA style suspension as long as the frame rails and strut towers are not compromised. Is this legal in ST?

2. Looking at pictures of some races I assume that front clip doesn't mean body panel material?

3. could a front crossmemeber be cut/modified to accept an engine swap or steering rack conversion?

All of these questions can probably be answered when I finally make it out to a NASA weekend by just looking at cars but I'm in the planning stage and need some basic info on the ST class. It's a bit hard to interpret weather this rule is to really keep the suspension/steering/body in a completely stock configuration or just to prevent a full tube car.

Thanks,

Alex

• National Staff
I read back through threads vintage 2005 and didn't find this subject, let me know if it's been covered elswhere.

In regards to this rule (similar to AI verbiage about front and rear frame rails):

Every vehicle must retain its OEM front clip, floorpan, and subframe. Tube-frame

chassis conversion (partial or complete) is not permitted without a waiver from the

National ST Director.

1. In AI a strut suspended car (mustang) is allowed to fabricate an SLA style suspension as long as the frame rails and strut towers are not compromised. Is this legal in ST?

2. Looking at pictures of some races I assume that front clip doesn't mean body panel material?

3. could a front crossmemeber be cut/modified to accept an engine swap or steering rack conversion?

All of these questions can probably be answered when I finally make it out to a NASA weekend by just looking at cars but I'm in the planning stage and need some basic info on the ST class. It's a bit hard to interpret weather this rule is to really keep the suspension/steering/body in a completely stock configuration or just to prevent a full tube car.

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks for asking Alex. We were just discussing these issues at NASA National.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

As long as you maintain the integrity of the OEM frame rails and strut towers, you are ok. Front fascias, fenders, and hoods can all be modified for aero, tire clearance, cooling purposes, etc. Crossmembers can be cut or replaced with tubular crossmembers, but one must be careful not to cross the line of building a tube-frame conversion where the suspension is now supported entirely and relocated by a newly built tube frame.