Race Control Communication (Rookie Q)

rscheiring

Sorry in advance for the rookie question, but many of the rules use terms like "as directed/instructed by the Race Director" like how to restart after red, etc.

Aside from use of flags/sign boards, how else are these things communicated? Is there a one-way or two-way radio that can be used to communicate with Race Control? I'll be running solo and won't otherwise have a team/pit crew to advise me.

Thanks!

Rob

like how to restart after red

Majority of us run solo, Rob. But first things first: the flags (corner workers) are your other pair of eyes out on track. They see things you cannot. Always, always pay attention. Know where they are, so that in the heat of battle you won't have to guess. In the case of a red flag, come to safe, controlled stop within sight of a corner station and wait until another flag is thrown - which can be yellow or black.

Thanks Olivier. I'm with you on the corners and flags.

I was wondering if its required/optional to use something like "Raceceiver", but now that I've done some searching, I only see one post on the forums:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14139&p=90385&hilit=raceceiver#p90385

so I'm guessing its not. But that would be cool (but another $200 down the drain, and expense/effort for the already taxed volunteers/officials).

• 2 weeks later...

I think the procedures in general that you are thinking about are things that would be covered in the driver meeting, or would be consistently done within a region's races - they aren't usually decided on the fly, so you don't need a real-time receiver.

bruce

Sorry in advance for the rookie question, but many of the rules use terms like "as directed/instructed by the Race Director" like how to restart after red, etc.

Aside from use of flags/sign boards, how else are these things communicated? Is there a one-way or two-way radio that can be used to communicate with Race Control? I'll be running solo and won't otherwise have a team/pit crew to advise me.

Thanks!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot. That makes sense (and glad I don't have another purchase ahead of me - this prepping for racing really adds up!).