Roll Cage Tech Question

Enzo

I am currently installing a roll cage in my 944S2 to run in GTS2 this upcoming season. Per the rules I have 2 horizontal doorbars on the drivers side (1.75" x .095" like the rest of the roll cage). Between the upper and lower door bars are (3) 1.25" dia vertical tubes that connect them together for additional reinforcement. Is this legal?

I thought there is something in the rules stating that additional "reinforcements" must be of the same diameter and thickness as the main cage.

If I cut them out, I know the car will meet the rules (but will be less safe). I cant seem to get a clear ruling on this. Can anybody help?

Picture is attached.

Thanks,

Enzo

Enzo,

I dont think the smaller bars will cause you to fail tech. Make sure all welds are 360 on all the joints. They will fail you at tech and they will check. Good to see another S2 in GTS. I think we are going to have a good GTS 2 field this season!

Why don't we just look at the rule:

15.6.17 Additional Reinforcement

Any number of additional reinforcing bars are permitted within the structure of the cage provided that they are installed strictly for safety and do not violate CCR Section #15.6.2 Intent. This rule does not permit reinforcements in classes with spec cages. All required bars must be made of the same material and meet with at least the minimum specifications for size and thickness.

And the overruling Class rules say:

Additional roll cage bracing and construction is allowed and recommended. Tube Frame cars will be classed according to the “Non-DoT” class numbers. “Tube Frame” is defined as any car that does not utilize the stock manufacturer’s unit body or chassis. Modification of suspension and drive train mounting points alone does not constitute at Tube Frame. Tube Frame cars running on Non-DoT tires will be bumped one class.

Where is the rule you think you are violating????

BTW - make sure your main hoop diagonal brace is one piece and that the horizontal bar that intersects that is two piece. Just a heads up - though not really clear in the rules, it kept me from getting a log book.

We'll here is the dilema again - this week I reviewed this with 2 different Certified NASA tech inspectors in the Great Lakes Region. One said it was OK, the other one said it was NOT OK - so still no clear answer on this. The last thing I want to do is be at the track and have a disagreement over an interpretation issue (which apparently still exists). I understand the vertical reinforcements are not required, but then why are "required bars" mentioned under section 15.6.17 -"ADDITIONAL REINFORCEMENTS". We already know that all REQUIRED bars must be of the correct dia/thickness per 15.6.18. Does anyone know of any additional reinforcements that are REQUIRED? If not, then the last sentence should be removed from 15.6.17 because it is redundant/misleading.

I have since cut-out the 1.25" vertical tubes and replaced with 1.75x.095" just to avoid any more confusion / frustration over this issue....probably safer anyhow.

Enzo

Refer the tech inspectror to the post above from "Grumpy", Jim wrote the rules. Those vertical bars are not "required" so they only need to meet the safely installed portion of the rules. And as the author of the GTS rules, I will tell you that they are OK by GTS standards.