GTS cage rules

FlyingDog

I have read through NASA's rules several times and understand them (vertical main hoop less than 180* bends, front and rear downtubes, two doorbars, plus bracing). I also know that FIA style cages are allowed, but I think the car has to have a logbook from a sanctioning body that allows FIA style cages (please let me know if that is incorrect) ie: Grand Am. While spending a few hours with the wonderful people at Synergy Racing yesterday, I noticed a couple of the cars in the shop with FIA style cages had GTS stickers on them. I didn't ask where these cars primarily raced or who originally issued their logbooks. Would a car without a prior logbook with an FIA style cage be legal to race in NASA/GTS?

48 reads and no replies. Am I asking about something in a gray area that should be directed to a specific technical director?

15.6.1 ... These rules apply to all classes, unless otherwise superseded by the class rules. Vehicles

homologated by, or built to the specifications of, SCCA, IMSA, and Grand AM must

conform to these rules, or may conform to their respective current class rules for roll

cage requirements for guest groups and special events. Any vehicle that does not

conform to the NASA cage rules, yet conforms to cage rules of another recognized

sanctioning body (SCCA, IMSA, Grand Am, etc.), that wishes compete in NASA events

on a regular basis, should be ordered to make modifications within a time frame

specified by the Race Director and approved by the Regional Director....

I don't see anywhere in the CCR that says it is ok to have a FIA cage. Just because a tech steward allowed it somewhere doesn't make it "right" - and it might have only been done for a "special event". Also, a lot of readers (me included) may not understand the specific differences (I know in general) of an FIA cage design that you're trying to get at.

cheers,

bruce

I know that is what the CCRs say. GTS cage rules supercede NASA rules which is why I was asking if GTS rules make exceptions for this. After searching for pics to show what I am talking about, I discovered that it's is only special homologation factory cages designed the way I am thinking. Standard FIA cages start with similar basic design rules to NASA, then they add far more complex requirements. Oh well.

AFAIK, none of the series rules totally supercede the CCR in the cage design area - many make additional allowances, usually for structural rigidity purposes, but none can change the basic safety requirements in the CCR. That is what NASA's insurance coverage is based on. It is stated in the first paragraph of section 4 of the GTS rules.

cheers,

bruce

• 2 weeks later...

The GTS rules require that the cage meets NASA standards at a minimum. Any additional braces/bars/mounting points are allowed.

The CCR states that if your car was raced in another series, SCCA Pro, Grand Am, etc.. the cage must meet the current rules for that series. The exceptions are clearly stated in the first paragraph of the roll cage section of the CCR