Infineon 4/12-13

AustinG

huh, looking at the schedule that was posted this morning...I noticed some interesting things.

5 different race groups now

Thunder roadsters and Legends have their own run group now.

Group A has: PT, ST, HC, Spec E30, 944, USTCC

But here's something new:

Group E has a 15 min qualifying on Saturday(Spec Miata)

Group A has a 20 min qualifying on Saturday(vs. 25)

Group A has a RACE that's only 20 min long on Saturday(vs. 25)

Group A has a 20 min qualifying on Sunday(vs. 25)

Group A has a 20 min RACE on Sunday(vs. 25)

So Group A loses a total of 10 minutes of race time between Saturday and Sunday, as well as a total of 10 minutes of qualifying time on Saturday and Sunday.

I've signed up for the Competition License Evaluation, the car now has a log book, and as long as things go well, should be out there in H4 on Sunday, if not it'll be backward Thunderhil in May.

I'm having my local graphics guy do #23(my birth date and secondary sports number) since I found out that someone had used #21 for the first time in a few years.

~3 weeks before the event, but I'm working on making sure that all of the loose strings are tied off before the event.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slammed_93_hatch

• ekim952522000

• AustinG

• Redstone

I won't be racing anymore until I build my new car. I don't see the point of spending money driving my brothers car when I can save and build my own. My brother will be licensing and hopefully race with you all in H2. I may jump in from time to time.

huh, looking at the schedule that was posted this morning...I noticed some interesting things.

5 different race groups now

Thunder roadsters and Legends have their own run group now.

Group A has: PT, ST, HC, Spec E30, 944, USTCC

But here's something new:

Group E has a 15 min qualifying on Saturday(Spec Miata)

Group A has a 20 min qualifying on Saturday(vs. 25)

Group A has a RACE that's only 20 min long on Saturday(vs. 25)

Group A has a 20 min qualifying on Sunday(vs. 25)

Group A has a 20 min RACE on Sunday(vs. 25)

So Group A loses a total of 10 minutes of race time between Saturday and Sunday, as well as a total of 10 minutes of qualifying time on Saturday and Sunday.

You forgot one other change:

Race Entry Fee $349 (vs $299)

huh, looking at the schedule that was posted this morning...I

And $50 dollars more for the track fee.

I won't be racing anymore until I build my new car. I don't see the point of spending money driving my brothers car when I can save and build my own. My brother will be licensing and hopefully race with you all in H2. I may jump in from time to time.

bummer... when is the new car gonna be ready? did you find an EK hatch yet?

have you decided if your gonna run H1 or H2 yet?

prices going up $50 and loosing 5min per session is not cool. More money for less time on track.. doesnt seem right to me!

Brian Z or M. Lock.. any insight on why the change on price or session length? seems like we're getting screwed here.

Ouch that price increase is going to hurt, that combined with needing new wheels, parts for Lenna's car and buying a trailer. This month is going to be rough.

i will be there. Got the wicked tunning SB stuff installed, and have to replace my drivers side rear 3011 because the threads are jacked up. But i will be there.

I don't think i am even going to go out on track for the warm-up. The past two events it has just been retarded, and an effort in NOT getting your car taken out, Now that it is down to 10minutes it should be that much more!

I am going to go out on limb here and say that this is because of what we saw at T-hill. With just group A and C there was over 90 race cars. Then another 20SM and a long with the 40 or so big bore groups, and i think NASA NorCal is seeing more race cars then in recent years. Group A a lone had 76 car in the race at T-hill, that is a lot of cars!

Combine that with the fact that every HPDE group is filled up and waitlisted, NASA norcal has a big job on its hands of pleasing every one.

Me personally i'd like to see the parade laps pulled and give the time back to the racers. But I think that is 'lunch' time for the officials, if it is then it needs to stay.

Jerry explained the fee increase on the NASA email list; I'm not at home so I don't have the exact details.. It was reasonable, IMO.

The loss of track time is through the additional race groups, the parade laps are good for nasa as a business (as are the additional race groups). Remember, this is a for profit venture.

Marcus

bummer... when is the new car gonna be ready? did you find an EK hatch yet?

have you decided if your gonna run H1 or H2 yet?

No I haven't found one yet. But I am looking everywhere. I am leaving on another mission this Saturday so I'll continue searching when I get back. Hopefully one will pop up soon. And most likely I will stay in H1 but that is still up in the air.

wow.. just looked further into the schedule and noticed we only get a 10min practice in the morning!

i don't even see a point in going out.. thats only enough time to do 4 laps if everything stays green! i think i'd rather sleep-in longer in the morning and just qualify and race later in the afternoon.

I'm not sure how the rest of you feel, but $175/per day for 50 minutes of track is pretty miserable.

i don't really mind the raise in price for the weekend, but the loss of time sucks. I know we bitched and moaned that we should not run w/ the Legend's and Thunder Roadsters, but having our track time cut down to a miserable 10min practice and 20min qual and race is almost just as bad.

No I haven't found one yet. But I am looking everywhere. I am leaving on another mission this Saturday so I'll continue searching when I get back. Hopefully one will pop up soon. And most likely I will stay in H1 but that is still up in the air.

I thought you said you already found a shell?

Since you haven't-

Why don't you just buy my 4 door Civic? It's ready to go....or if you don't buy my Civic, and since you're still gonna be racing in H1, why don't you buy my B20 shortblock? It makes gobs more power than your B18-

jmeris

I thought you said you already found a shell?

Since you haven't-

Why don't you just buy my 4 door Civic? It's ready to go....or if you don't buy my Civic, and since you're still gonna be racing in H1, why don't you buy my B20 shortblock? It makes gobs more power than your B18-

jmeris

I had a coupe and decided to sell it and go with a hatch. As for the motor I haven't decided what engine I am going to run. But I will keep the B20 in mind. Thanks for the offer tho bro.

wow.. just looked further into the schedule and noticed we only get a 10min practice in the morning!

i don't even see a point in going out.. thats only enough time to do 4 laps if everything stays green! i think i'd rather sleep-in longer in the morning and just qualify and race later in the afternoon.

I'm not sure how the rest of you feel, but $175/per day for 50 minutes of track is pretty miserable.

i don't really mind the raise in price for the weekend, but the loss of time sucks. I know we bitched and moaned that we should not run w/ the Legend's and Thunder Roadsters, but having our track time cut down to a miserable 10min practice and 20min qual and race is almost just as bad.

completely agree on the practice session!

I think we kept are collective bitching and moaning about them to ourselves. It was the simple fact that 100 race cars on track just isn't going to work. Maybe by years end NASA will have to separate race and HPDE weekends.

Just for understanding, here were the group sizes from the Saturday and Sunday race at Thunderhill:

Saturday:

Spec Miata - 20

Legends/Thunder Roadsters - 25

HC/USTCC/Spec E30/PTB/PTE/PTF - 41

SU/CMC/AI/ST/FF - 42

Porsche Racing - 32

Sunday:

Spec Miata - 19

Legends/Thunder Roadsters - 20

HC/USTCC/Spec E30/PTB/PTE/PTF - 44

SU/CMC/AI/ST/FF - 36

Porsche Racing - 28

If you add in a growing Spec E30 class, as well as another 4-8 HC guys, we'll be well over 50 cars in our group. I spoke with Derek Welch, and he should be out racing at the backwards Thunderhill, so that's 1 more, add in Lena which is another, Graham, Jmeris, myself...that's 5 more HC guys.

By mid-year, HC should have a group of ~20-25 cars, at the moment it's sitting at ~13-15 cars per weekend.

How large would the HC field need to get to in order to get it's own run group?

H1 - 9

Andrie Hartanto

Bob Gill

Brandon Kraus

Devin Raynal

Graham Downey

Jonathan Meris

Mike Lock

Neil Vanni

Robert Arguelles

H2 - 9

Al Locket

Chris Smith

Dan Wright

Dave Wright

Lenna Moore

Liam Downey

Mike Uhlinger

Tommy Lo

Vitaliy Alexeev

H4 - 5

Brian Zoraster

Chris Lock

Jimmy Chilcott

John Almazan

Coming soon-2

Austin - H4

Derek (what group is Derek planning on racing)

That gives us 25 racers figure about 5 not showing on any given weekend that puts us at a average of 20 I don't think NASA will give us our own run group with 20.

The cool thing is Austin once you start every group will be getting the maximum toyo bucks.

I hope maybe the same amount as the Miatas. But they have a full group at every event. HC hasn't shown a consistant amount of cars to even consider our own race group. Assuming those numbers are correct. Maybe the Spec Miatas could combine with the roadsters which would even out the field. They would have 40 in group same as the other groups. That would free up track time for all race groups. Loosing track time does really suck. However, From the looks of it. NASAs race groups have almost doubled or tripled within the last year. So scheduling all of us is not an easy task. I'm sure hours are being put in on the schedule trying to work it for the best. If any of you are in charge of scheduling at work like I am, you will understand the headace it can be. So I have nothing but props for them.

Another suggestion I have is. If everyone was on board with the 10 min warmup not being worthwhile to run. Then cancel the warmup session and add the 10 min to the race. You would get 20 min qual and 30 min race. If all groups agrees to it then I think everyone will get optimal racing time on track. Because in 10 minutes you might get 2 maybe 3 clean laps and a total of 4 laps in the session. I would rather have more time in the race.

The concern: People running out there cold in qualifying. Well from what I hear most of you are not going to bother with the warmup session. Therefore, will be going out there cold in qualifying regardless. Thats just a suggestion that could be brought up to the people in charge, and/or maybe race group leaders. I don't know.

Other than that I can't wait to watch the next round of good racing. You all put on a good show at T-hill. I'm hoping for a repeat. See you at Infineon.

Edited by Guest

H1 - 9

Andrie Hartanto

Bob Gill

Brandon Kraus

Devin Raynal

Graham Downey

Jonathan Meris

Mike Lock

Neil Vanni

Robert Arguelles

H2 - 9

Al Locket

Chris Smith

Dan Wright

Dave Wright

Lenna Moore

Liam Downey

Mike Uhlinger

Tommy Lo

Vitaliy Alexeev

H4 - 5

Brian Zoraster

Chris Lock

Jimmy Chilcott

John Almazan

Coming soon-2

Austin - H4

Derek (what group is Derek planning on racing)

That gives us 25 racers figure about 5 not showing on any given weekend that puts us at a average of 20 I don't think NASA will give us our own run group with 20.

The cool thing is Austin once you start every group will be getting the maximum toyo bucks.

Derek runs H1.

Spec Miata is guaranteed their own run group for the entire year, no changing that at all.
Oh, I figured that could be the case but it doesn' t hurt to bring up suggestions.

this next weekends Redline Time Attack at Buttonwillow sounds much more fun to me now than running HC with NASA.

Redline gives you 5 sessions per day. 115 min on saturday & 160 minutes of track time on sunday! thats over 4.5 hrs on track all for only $400!

i hope this next weekend out at Infineon turns out to be ok. With really only two 20min session per day that's really not much driving at all. If it's anything like Thunderhill was (full of yellows and a red flag) we'll be lucky to get 10 laps completed!

yes, it sounds like im doing alot of bitching and complaining, but im not happy about the shortened track time.

The schedule for the May Thunderhill event looks much better, as there are quite a few less race groups...no Factory Five, no CMC, no PRC, no USTCC. 4 race groups, which includes the Formula Mazda Challenge.

Back to the 20 min practice, 20 min qualifying, and 30 minute races.

this next weekends Redline Time Attack at Buttonwillow sounds much more fun to me now than running HC with NASA.

Redline gives you 5 sessions per day. 115 min on saturday & 160 minutes of track time on sunday! thats over 4.5 hrs on track all for only $400!

i hope this next weekend out at Infineon turns out to be ok. With really only two 20min session per day that's really not much driving at all. If it's anything like Thunderhill was (full of yellows and a red flag) we'll be lucky to get 10 laps completed!

yes, it sounds like im doing alot of bitching and complaining, but im not happy about the shortened track time.

But that is just like doing an HPDE, it's not racing!

as long as this isn't a reoccuring issue, then I don't think it would be a problem. If Higher costs and lower track time becomes the norm, then we've got a big problem. I think I can deal with it once.