A question concerning roll cage modifications.

151fab

I have a gentleman who has asked that I modify his existing cage because it did not pass tech at the last event. He has a 2008 Mustang with a six-point cage in it. He is planning on attending the event at Sears Point in two weeks so this is a very time sensitive issue.

Here are my questions:

The main hoop (B-pillar) has too many bends, currently 8 bends, in order to fix this I would need to remove the lower 18 inches or so of the hoop on both sides and replace it with a straight length of new tube. Does NASA allow me to internally sleeve the tube at the junction between the existing/new lengths and just replace the offending area or do I need to remove and replace the entire main hoop?

The rear braces currently form an 'X' and must be replaced or augmented with two straight tubes. The 'X' attaches just rear of the shock towers in the trunk via the required plates. I would like to extend the new bars to the inside-front area of the shock tower by adding a new plate that would wrap up the side of the shock tower slightly. Is this permissible or do I need to incorporate the existing plate from the 'X' into my additional bars?

The current cage does not have a diagonal brace in-plane with the main hoop. However, the owner stated that the tech did not scrutinize this and we need not worry about it. The cage does have a horizontal bar, about shoulder level and the previously mentioned 'X' bars going to the trunk area. Are these bars sufficient or should I plan on adding the diagonal while I'm doing all the other modifications as well?

Thank you, in advance, for the help. I can provide pictures and CCR reference numbers if that helps.

unofficially, but as someone who has been around tech a fair bit:

that diagonal is part of the requirements, starts near driver's head and ends at the opposite corner of the main hoop

did your main hoop have more than 180* of bends? afaik its the total degree of bends, not their count, that DQ's the main hoop

that plate idea for the main hoop supports should be fine to issue a log book, but you may want to check your class rules to make sure you're not screwing yourself there

*waits for 100% official person*

I was under the impression that you could only have four bends in the main hoop and that those bends cannot exceed 180 degrees total (=/- 10 degrees). I do not know what class he races in. I will find out; if you think that info is nessesary.

A one piece diagonal is required in the plane of the main hoop. The diagonal goes in first, then the two horizontal bars.

The main hoop must be made of one continous piece of tubing.

If those extra bends are needed to make the cage fit, the ENTIRE cage must be made of tubing one size larger than minimum.

The main hoop must be made of one continous piece of tubing.

So, just to be clear, I cannot cut out the offending portion, internally sleeve, add a new section, and weld it into the existing main hoop.

A one piece diagonal is required in the plane of the main hoop.

All cages must have the diagonal bar, in the same plane as the main hoop, regardless of the design of the rest of the cage.

If those extra bends are needed to make the cage fit, the ENTIRE cage must be made of tubing one size larger than minimum.

Four bends are the maximum for the main hoop unless the entire cage is made of the next larger tubing specs.

So, the final question is... Can I add a new set of plates for the rear braces because the current ones being used for the 'X' bars are not in a position to utilize while keeping the rear braces bend-less, per CCR:15.6.11? Do I need to remove the 'X' bar so that the cage will only mount to six points, per CCR:15.6.13?

The issues have been handled.

I'd like to post a huge thank you to Jim Politi.

He took time out of his obviously busy schedule to take my call and give my all of his attention until I had every answer I needed. As someone who has never dealt with NASA, this one experience has made me a huge fan of the organization. Great work guys! I am looking forward to any and all chances I have to associate myself with NASA.

• 2 weeks later...

I had another question and was refered to the CMC directors for this one. Tony Guaglione gave me guidance. Another great exchange over the phone. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!