Tire Quandary

bryanrome

I will be heading down to Buttonwillow on the 26th and recently noticed a very tiny finishing nail in a block of tread of one my track tires. First of all, I have no idea whether it even pentrated all the way into the tire. But should it have, I need to know whether I can properly patch this tire from the inside and run it on the track or whether I will need to replace it. Furthermore, if I do replace it, will I have to replace both tires on the axle? They're 2 year old Falken 615s and the current set has seen some wear.

I was talking to my father about it and he realised that it was probably a 1/4" brad that he used on his MG which I picked up in his driveway. So I'm hoping it didn't penetrate very far, in which case I would still patch the inside of the tire. But I'd still like some opinions on what to do if it punched through.

Patch from behind is fine, but not sure what the tech inspectors will think (if they know). Pull it out, probably didn't go through.

Turns out that it was a long nail. I took it to the tire shop to have it patched. But I will replace the tire: does it sound appropriate to run tires of differing tread depths?

The old ones have about 10k miles, including five track days and a dozen or so autoxes, worn evenly, still off the wear bars, but not by too much, maybe by 1/16th or two. They are about 220 or 200 treadwear.