Few questions about hpde...

rmani

Thinking about signing up for the upcoming hpde at pocono on 8/28. just a few questions though:

What time do you have to be at the track? Can you show up whenever and just wait for your category to start running?

How is the day usually broken down?

Lastly when is the deadline to sign up (I'm still trying to convince a few friends to do it with me) ?

Thanks

All HPDE events that I went to had a driver's meeting first-thing in the morning - around 7:30 and everyone has to be there for that. It is also where you meet your instructor.

The day is broken down into 20-30 minute on-track sessions that cycles through the HPDE groups and race groups if there is racing that day. As an HPDE student, you will probably also have classroom sessions when you are not driving.

I have registered for events the day of the event, prior to the early-morning driver's meeting. However, you run the risk of the event selling out and not getting to run...

Here is a sample schedule for our region's upcoming Mid Ohio event:

http://www.racenasa.com/results/SCHEDULE_MIDOHIOAUGUST.xls

This isn't a normal weekend since the race groups are the entertainment for a completely separate, concurrent event, but you get the idea.

thank you very much for the information and help. for some reasont i'm not able to view the link you posted, but when does everything end? also is there a scheduled lunch break or do you just go eat/leave whenever you feel like it.

The link is to an Excel file. If you don't have Excel installed on your computer, it won't work. You can get a freeware Excel reader over on the Microsoft website. That's what I did because I am too cheap to pay for an Excel license. More money for my car.

As far as breaks are concerned, when you are not on the track or in the classroom, you are "on break". Chances are that 66%-75% of the day will be "a break". Some events will have lunch breaks (primarily to give the corner workers a break) and some events don't have them. I personally prefer to NOT have them to maximize track time.

The end time varies by track (sound restrictions). Typically, the end time would be anywhere from 4:00-6:00pm.

Here is a link to a series of introductions to HPDE at the NASA National site. Good information can be had here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

Check out the text at the link, then check out the addition info in the links at the bottom of the page.

At almost every track HPDE event, usually around noon the track shuts down for an hour to give the corner workers a lunch break.

]

If you don't do Pocono, consider Watkins Glen in Sept. Watkins Glen is the finest and fastest road course on the East coast.

I drive 4 hours to the Glen but rarely drive the 1 1/2 hrs. to Pocono

The Glen event is strictly HPDE, no racing sessions to use up all your track time.

At almost every track HPDE event, usually around noon the track shuts down for an hour to give the corner workers a lunch break.

]

If you don't do Pocono, consider Watkins Glen in Sept. Watkins Glen is the finest and fastest road course on the East coast.

I have run a number of tracks and my favorite is still Watkins Glen.

hmm great info thanks guys. What kind of speeds can I expect on the pocono track? I'll definitely try and go to watkins glen if I enjoy myself at pocono.

i'm a little unclear as to what you meant by watkins being solely devoted to Hpde. Do you just mean that at watkins you can pretty much be on the track all day no matter what class you're in?

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help and info.

At some of the NASA events in addition to HPDE they also schedule actual race groups for the same day this means shorter sessions as they have to get all the races in.

I have run HPDE at Summit Point and they schedule races also. Track time is minimal.

At Watkins Glen with only HPDE running you will get twice as much track time.

I don't know how they run at Pocono.

You will be assigned a run group and you run only in that group until your skill level allows you to move up.

OK, the actual skinny on Pocono is that:

1. Gates open at 7 a.m.

2. We are of ftrack by 6 p.m.

3. 1 Hour break at midday. (Pepsi Truck will be there to feed us)

4. We have HPDE but also a Comp School Group Saturday and ONE Race group Sunday. Track time will still be plentiful.

5. Speeds will depend on car. I see 115 mph in my Miata and have gone 140 in a Mercedes ...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, got signed up for the day at Pocono on the 29th (Sunday). Got my membership info in today's mail. Will I get information about the 28th, such as a schedule, but more importanly, a TECH SHEET?. I have a good idea on how the day goes, having done this before. Do I get the car pre-tech'd, or do you folk do that at the garage the day of the event?

Just did the DELVAL event, and there we pre-tech'd, and were final tech'd the day of the evetn. Ditto for PDA earlier this year. Is this form something I can download from one of your sites. I did a NASA event last year up on the south course, and really enjoyed the event.

slow_eddie

Eddie - did you intend to sign up and pay twice for the same day? let me know if you get billed twice for it!

You can download an HPDE Tech Form to get you going from the Forms Page at http://www.nasaproracing.com - the actual event Tech Form will go out in the email packet the week before the event. It's strictly a self-tech (except for HPDE1s who will be teched by their instructors.) so just bring the official completed form to registration.

We definitely don't want a tech line like at the DelVal event - which otherwise ran smoothly!

...but an authorized tech inspector -- either in advance at an approved shop or at the track the day of the event -- must sign-off on your car. In Nor Cal, our shops don't charge a fee, but a track-side inspection costs $20...

I assume your region operates the same way.

In any case, tech your car in advance so there are no surprises the day of your event: you would hate to miss track time because something had to be fixed before you could get on the track....

Dave R

HPDE3

Joe Lee, I really don't have a clone , so I only need ONE sign up for the 29th. Can someone who plans on the 28th switch to the 29th - I know of one fellow who might want to do this. Any ideas on how many miatae might show up- curious?

slow_eddie

Thanks, just one of me, my alterego, fast-ed , waisted away while on a diet . Anyhow, I do know if Mark is coming or not, but how many miatae to you expect? miatapaul says he's coming too, as well a Tim.

slow_eddie

Ed - we have 5 Miatae registered, including you. Add me and Sonny = 7. Paul is not registered yet -go bug him!

(Edit for another LVMOC entry!)

Hey, Joe or anyone else who might know this answer. Any specia dmotell rates or discounts for the night of the 28th? I have done PDA events, and have got the 'track rate', but don't know if this applies to NASA.

slow_eddie