WTB: Transaxle w/ Short 5th

loftygoals

I destroyed my transaxle during the race at Gateway last weekend. Ray has a 84 non-LSD transaxle that he's willing to make a deal on, but I thought I'd check if anyone has one with a short 5th before I pickup Ray's.

Thanks,

-bj

Its an 85 BJ for what ever its worth. I also have an 88 box lying around with 60 k on it. I might let that go, but it would kill me to do so. But for the right price I may let it go to have some spare funds lying around for the racing season. If you dont come up with one let me know. BTW I believe you have to change out the rear cross member when you change over the gear box they are mounted different. Its not just a swap one in one out.

BTW I believe you have to change out the rear cross member when you change over the gear box they are mounted different. Its not just a swap one in one out.

I just looked at the drawings and you're right.

-bj

BTW I believe you have to change out the rear cross member when you change over the gear box they are mounted different. Its not just a swap one in one out.

No not exactly..

The cross mounting is different on the 85.5 and newer cars as compared to the 83-85 cars and the 924S that part cannot be swapped. The later boxes use two mounts in line with gearbox and the early one use two ears on the sides. You cannot put the later crossmember in the early cars since it is welded in the early cars. You need to use the early mounts which unbolt from the gearbox. I believe they bolt up to the latebox in the original locations. Putting an early gearbox in later car means some drilling for the later mounts I believe.

I have a short 5th that I want out of my (street) 944S, but haven't gotton around to getting that swap done, and prob. won't in time. I too have a non-LSD, tall 5th tranny that's waiting for the short 5th from my 944S if I ever get it done. It's out of an '87, so it sounds like Ray's trans would be a better fit for you.

Just let me know BJ either way, I have to go to Peoria next Wed. to take my father in for a hip surgery. Its like half way to you, I could take it out and have it there for you to pick up if you want to meet me half way.

Just let me know BJ either way, I have to go to Peoria next Wed. to take my father in for a hip surgery. Its like half way to you, I could take it out and have it there for you to pick up if you want to meet me half way.

Nice to see 944 Spec teamwork in action.

BJ, make sure your clutch is not the underlying problem.

BJ, make sure your clutch is not the underlying problem.

The clutch seems fine. It is engaging and dis-engaging appropriately. When I check the travel of the clutch fork through the inspection hole, everything looks good. 1st shifts fine. 3rd is rough unless you rev match and 4th requires a lot of muscle. I can't get it into 2nd even when the car isn't running. 5th just grinds and then splits the lever back out. I talked to the premier Porsche shop here in St. Louis and they think it is the tranny, too.

-bj

You gotta learn how to shift those gear BJ. I could have my wife teach you on the rock crusher in the Chevelle. You wont be breakin that gear box.

You gotta learn how to shift those gear BJ. I could have my wife teach you on the rock crusher in the Chevelle. You wont be breakin that gear box.

Thanks. Actually I'm about 100% sure that the clutch fork killed my transaxle syncros. I think it was bending more and more over time, so dis-engaging less and less. This put a lot of where on the syncros. Sunday during practice my clutch pedal went soft. I was really grinding gears trying to get the car back to the paddock. It turned out to be air in the system. I think it was that event that push the transaxle over the edge.

As for your offer to have your wife tech me how to shift gears, I would consider it. Could I get a picture of her and then I'll get back to you with my decision?

Thanks,

-bj

That is too funny BJ, I would send you a picture but she would kick my butt if I posted her picture on the net anywhere. Give me a call I pm'd you my number and we can talk about the gear boxes.

....adding to what Joe said...

You can swap almost all the trannies by using the chassis's mounting system. The mounting hardware stays with the chassis. The cross member never gets removed.

The early car's trannies use the yellow ears on the sides.

The late cars use 2 13mm head bolts going through the tranny case on top. The early cars can have their ears removed, then utilize the 13mm bolts through the top of the case because almost all the trannies have the bolt tunnels on top. I say ALMOST ALL because the very early trannies didn't have these bolt tunnels at all. Those early trannies can only go into early cars using the yellow ears. You can also take a late tranny and swap the ears over to it, then install it into an early car.

Also, if you put an early tranny into a late car, you lose the speedo drive.

Good luck racing!

• 2 weeks later...

I've transaxles coming out my ears now. I have my origional 83 that is pretty much dead, the transaxle I bought from Ray, and a 924S transaxle with a short 5th that I won on eBay last night for $100!

-bj

I've transaxles coming out my ears now. I have my origional 83 that is pretty much dead, the transaxle I bought from Ray, and a 924S transaxle with a short 5th that I won on eBay last night for $100!

-bj

That's a steal!

As long as a functioning tranny is in your car for Putnam, we're good!

You won a 924s trans with a short 5th for $100 bucks what a deal. Good job on that one BJ.

Yep even if the rest of the tranny is bad the gear set alone is worth more than that. Of course the next thing we will fine out is his $100 cheap short 5th gearbox also has a good LSD in it. That would make it the buy of the century. Ok may be not as good as 88 924S won on E-bay for $330. Local car I went paid cash and dragged home. Took the 16" wheel off of it and sold them for $250. Sold the white on back gauge pod for $35 and then the torque tube for $40.

Car cost $330 Parts sold 250+40+35 = $325.

So $5 for a 88 motor & DME, short 5th gearbox, spare tub, spare suspension, I could go on...

Of course the next thing we will fine out is his $100 cheap short 5th gearbox also has a good LSD in it. That would make it the buy of the century.

Nope, no LSD. It's a QK transaxle, so I know for sure that it is open.

-bj