Intro and Rookie Questions

pmcrespo

Hi Everyone,

New greenest of the green rookie GTS hopefuls here. I will likely be running races mainly in the Northeast with the occassional excursion to Great Lakes and Mid-Atlantic regions. Looking forward to May 31/June 1 races at Pocono.

I am trying to find a recommended Dyno Facility. Ideally, it would be great if it also had corner balance/car weighting capability. I looked at the "Dynojet" list, but before I jump on to schedule with one of them (none that I personally know), I wanted to ask you in case there are any recommendations. I am in Philly, PA area so any place within an hour or two can work. Especially if I can take business to a fellow NASA racer or shop owner.

Thanks for all the help and great support by all I have met and communicated with over the last year. I am truly looking forward to racing with you and I promise I'll keep my slow butt out of your way as much as possible!

Cheers,

Pulling on the same thread... the Dynojet 248 is the recommended Dyno. I understand that they may tend to read higher than other Dyno Models. Which is good as it will yield a conservative weight-to-power calculation....

Do most of you use the 248? Or does anyone prefer to use a different model? Is the 248 what is used at all events?

I may end up choosing to run GTS2 in lieu of 3 to start and later then progress. To do this I will have to put in some ballast. I have not found any aftermarket products to facilitate ballast installation (floorboard instal for example).

Can anyone recommend a method or available system/product?

Thanks,

I've seen lots of different way to add ballast. The most popular seems to be using weight plates:

30927434-177x150-0-0.jpg

They're fairly cheap, especially from a used sporting goods store, and come in different weights.

I saw one car that had a series of dumbells attached along the passenger side with U-bolts through the floor.

Hex-Dumbells.jpg

The most important thing is to make sure they are securely attached.

LOL.... I guess in the back of my mind I knew this could be the response...

Lead I am sure is harder to come by and more expensive if one wanted a more "compact" solution....

Could the ballast be outside the car? Like underneath the floorpan? (Yeah... I know... the answer is in the CCR... I have to go look it up.. ..)

Thank you Tim. I am on the fence between GTS2 and 3. Depending on what dyno and final weighting shows, I may add some ballast to start in GTS2 first and then move up and ease my way into the faster class. Except for catback, chip and airbox, engine is still stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a specific place where the GTS decals are supposed to go? I can't find it in the rules? I presume one "GTS3" on in each side... How about front and back?

I think where ever you want on the side. I have mine infront of the door. I started at the rocker and moved up 1 decal at a time.

Mike

Is there a specific place where the GTS decals are supposed to go? I can't find it in the rules? I presume one "GTS3" on in each side... How about front and back?

Another decal question: Are those available at the track for when drivers attend Comp School, or do they need to be ordered in advance?

Another decal question: Are those available at the track for when drivers attend Comp School, or do they need to be ordered in advance?

I ordered mine from the GTS Challenge website. http://www.gtschallenge.com/decals.htm. If you don't get any by then and they don't have them at the track, look me up as I have extras I can give you for GTS 2 and/or 3.

I ordered mine from the GTS Challenge website. http://www.gtschallenge.com/decals.htm. If you don't get any by then and they don't have them at the track, look me up as I have extras I can give you for GTS 2 and/or 3.

Thanks Pablo! I will order some ahead of time so you can keep your extras for spares just in case.