pmcrespo

Buttonwillow

pmcrespo

Hi,

I will be visiting Buttonwillow (#13 CW) for the first time during the weekend of June 7-8.

Understaning the variables (driver, car, etc), how difficult is this track to learn and be reasonbly fast? Is it a very tricky technical track? How many hours of track time would you say a reasonably skilled driver needs to become "fluent" at BW?

I am a Northeast GTS rookie this year. Watkins Glen and Pocono Raceway (all configs) have been my "teeth cutting" tracks over the last year and a half.

Thanks,

Alonso

Well, last month I attended my first HPDE at Buttonwillow and in my rookie opinion most of the track was fairly easy to learn in the 4 sessions we had through the day. In fact by the third session I was confident enough to be on the track on my own, and by the fourth session I was flying around the track.

The only corner sections that I could not nail down seemed to be buttonhook which we were told at our HPDE downloads that its too technical of a corner to be worried about mastering it at our level (HPDE 1& 2). I also had trouble with the bus stop because I could not figure out how much or how little braking to do before turning in. At first I thought I was braking to much and felt that my exit speed wasn't fast enough, so the next time around I tried to simply lift but then I dropped a tire.

JoshC

My first time there was last October and I thought it was on the long side of typical in terms of learning time. It took 2 or 3 sessions to feel comfortable enough to race; having studied the track map and watched some in-car footage prior to going out.

mcolangelo2005

Welcome to the left coast!

Here's a well done instructional video on how to do Buttonwillow #1 CW: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AejHQ6iV-F8"

Track configuration #1 CW is very similar to #13 CW except that #1 has the Star Mazda turn instead of the sweeper. Aside from that, everything else is the same.

Here's a nice video of an S2000 being driven on #13 CW: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GaJYlLDRflY"

If you are looking for a race car to rent (even for HPDEs) there are several shops that rent out cars. Sevens Only (http://www.sevensonly.com) is a race car prep shop at Buttonwillow and they rent out Spec Miatas and Pro 7 race cars.

pmcrespo

Thanks everyone.... I will definitely review the videos at length. Last night I also found a turn by turn description by Coastal Driving School that I stumbled upon at http://www.trackpedia.com.

The track does seem to have a few technical/compount turns that may take some time to nail down.... But certainly overall the track looks pretty awesome and I am looking forward to my first ever left coast event!

Now.... If I could just "teletransport" my car from Philadelphia....

pmcrespo
You can find more videos for the tracks out here on our website: http://www.edomoto.com/videos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome! Thanks. Downloading now...

325racer

I'd actually say closer to 10-20 hours, depending on what level your starting at as a driver.

ButtonWillow #13 Clockwise is actually a very technical track to drive consistently fast. You could alway just enroll in the JMC Motorsports Budget Race School. Then you'll be almost there by the end of a set of rental car tires!

Here is some Video from our last school run #13 CCW.

http://blip.tv/file/551961/

Bueller
Well, last month I attended my first HPDE at Buttonwillow and in my rookie opinion most of the track was fairly easy to learn in the 4 sessions we had through the day. In fact by the third session I was confident enough to be on the track on my own, and by the fourth session I was flying around the track.

The only corner sections that I could not nail down seemed to be buttonhook which we were told at our HPDE downloads that its too technical of a corner to be worried about mastering it at our level (HPDE 1& 2). I also had trouble with the bus stop because I could not figure out how much or how little braking to do before turning in. At first I thought I was braking to much and felt that my exit speed wasn't fast enough, so the next time around I tried to simply lift but then I dropped a tire.

I dont know what this noob in HPDE 1 is talking about. Or maybe we got ourselves the next big thing with this guy.

Im going to have to agree with 325racer when he said, "its a very technical track to drive consistently fast." There is also the obvious, ie some tracks initially work better with some people, whereas not so much with others.

Bart Carter
I dont know what this noob in HPDE 1 is talking about. Or maybe we got ourselves the next big thing with this guy.

Im going to have to agree with 325racer when he said, "its a very technical track to drive consistently fast." There is also the obvious, ie some tracks initially work better with some people, whereas not so much with others.

There is always room for improvement. At any level. The more you know, the more you realize what your real capabilities are. When you are starting, you feel you are close to optimum, but you have no idea how far off you really are.

I ran a 1:47.xx last event. It sounds great, but what's depressing is I know I could go another 3 or 4 seconds faster. The car is always faster than the driver, only the driver doesn't know by how much.

Data acquisition really helps though.

pmcrespo

I have to agree as well. At least from the videos I have been watching (thanks mcoangelo and ultimate..) and the writeups on the lines, the track does look pretty technical to consistently (key word) drive fast. I was going to do the SpeedVentures weekend before but decided against it as I did not want to sacrifice the race weekend at Pocono (counting towards Nationals).

What I will do is be there on Friday for Open Track and put in as much track time as possible. I was also contemplating finding an instructor/coach (any suggestions?) to drive around with me on Friday so I can learn as much as I can by Sunday's TT. I may also start on my 16s (training wheels with R6s) and then move to the18s.

And of course.... simply know and accept that I will invariably be 4-5 seconds slower than the car.....

Bueller
I have to agree as well. At least from the videos I have been watching (thanks mcoangelo and ultimate..) and the writeups on the lines, the track does look pretty technical to consistently (key word) drive fast. I was going to do the SpeedVentures weekend before but decided against it as I did not want to sacrifice the race weekend at Pocono (counting towards Nationals).

What I will do is be there on Friday for Open Track and put in as much track time as possible. I was also contemplating finding an instructor/coach (any suggestions?) to drive around with me on Friday so I can learn as much as I can by Sunday's TT. I may also start on my 16s (training wheels with R6s) and then move to the18s.

And of course.... simply know and accept that I will invariably be 4-5 seconds slower than the car.....

Learn as much as you can by Sunday's TT? Im not sure what you meant by that. I run in the TT series, and i know that there are no TT events for the June 7-8 Buttonwillow event.

pmcrespo

I guess I had not mentioned the one slight detail.... I got invited to participate in the Hankook Grassroots Motorsports Ultimate Track Car Challenge (UTCC). That is why I am trailering a race car 2,700 miles from Philadelphia to Buttonwillow, and also trying to learn the track as best I can by Sunday. I do not have a high horsepower car so momentum and good entry and exit speeds through turns are key. Thus, knowing a particular track well truly helps my times. I know I cannot possibly reach any levell of true proficiency by Sunday, but I'd like to make the car some justice as best I can.

Don't you guys run TT as part of your HPDE-4 at times? Sometimes I believe we do that in Northesat region.... I know HPDE-4 will be running on Sunday June 8th as well as separate UTCC groups.

JOECAT

Pablo, I'd be happy to help you out learning the track. I've been driving there a number of years and been

racing cars for 42 years along with teaching at many racing schools when i was younger. I'll be there Friday

testing for the enduro on sat., look for the red Audi TT #4, also i'll be driving in the UTCC in a IMSA GTO Buick

#80 white they should be pitted near each other. P.S. I see you have a PORSCHE, thats what i've spent most

of my years driving It's good your making the trip you'll have fun and will do just fine. IT'S JUST ANOTHER

TRACK If you want you can call me 949-554-4516

Thank's Joe

pmcrespo

Joe: Thank you very much for extending the offer to teach me a thing or two about Buttonwillow. One thing I have learned in the past 18 months is how little I do know, and how much I will be able to learn from others' experience for many, many years to come. I will definitely contact you and stay in touch as we get closer to June 6th.

Yeah.. I do have one of those P-cars... mine is of the slower type when compared to today's GT-2s, GT-3s, and many crazee boosted 951s.... I am looking forward to the experience as a whole...

I looked at your IMSA GTO Buick!!! Kool.... Watched the videos.... Pretty awesome...

WSRacer23

Also be prepared for severe heat. I just raced there and the track temp. was 152 with air temp. at 102, So get plenty of water, Or perhaps rent a garage space if they are still available.

pmcrespo

Thanks... I had not thought of weather at all... another item in the list.....

JOECAT

Pablo, what track were the video's at ? and where's the link ? It's not my Buick i just drive it for the owner

in the bigger events, the last race i did for him was last month at Laguna Seca and i didn't know anybody

was videoing. THANKS, JOE

Bueller
I guess I had not mentioned the one slight detail.... I got invited to participate in the Hankook Grassroots Motorsports Ultimate Track Car Challenge (UTCC). That is why I am trailering a race car 2,700 miles from Philadelphia to Buttonwillow, and also trying to learn the track as best I can by Sunday. I do not have a high horsepower car so momentum and good entry and exit speeds through turns are key. Thus, knowing a particular track well truly helps my times. I know I cannot possibly reach any levell of true proficiency by Sunday, but I'd like to make the car some justice as best I can.

Don't you guys run TT as part of your HPDE-4 at times? Sometimes I believe we do that in Northesat region.... I know HPDE-4 will be running on Sunday June 8th as well as separate UTCC groups.

Makes sense now. I think someone mentioned it earlier, at this level, it should be fairly easy to watch some footage of a particular track to be able to get up to speed. Here is a pretty good Buttonwillow 1 CW instructional video. 1 CW is identical to 13 CW, the only difference is that with 1 we run Star Mazda, instead of the Sweeper. Star Mazda is an extension past the Sweeper. Go to Buttonwillows website, and look at the different track maps. Youll see what im talking about there.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as our TT group in Socal, yes, HPDE 4 runs with us because they dont have their own separate group. Although, at the most, we usually only have a handful of HPDE 4 guys running with us. The most i have seen is no more than 10 guys. Everyone else stays in HPDE 3.

Since its a no-points weekend for us TT guys, i wont be coming. Otherwise, i would have offered to lend you a hand. So good luck and i hope you have fun. Buttonwillow isnt a high speed track, so youll have to use all your strengths in maintaining your momentum to get a clean/fast lap.

pmcrespo

Joe: I watched these two videos of an IMSA Buick at Laguna Seca Races. I may have mistakenly presumed it was you.

Thanks for the advice Bueller. I have indeed been watching a lot of vids. I am looking forward to the experience.

Shawn M.
As far as our TT group in Socal, yes, HPDE 4 runs with us because they dont have their own separate group. Although, at the most, we usually only have a handful of HPDE 4 guys running with us. The most i have seen is no more than 10 guys. Everyone else stays in HPDE 3.

This partictular event wont have TT competition for the weekend.

Think of it as an open track practice weekend and since there is no competition, the aggressivness level should be quite low. Thats what I expect from everyone in the HPDE 4 group. I expect alot of cooperation and friendly driving going on out there.

See you there!

pmcrespo
Also be prepared for severe heat. I just raced there and the track temp. was 152 with air temp. at 102, So get plenty of water, Or perhaps rent a garage space if they are still available.

Dude.. thanks for bringing it up and reminding me... I called and got the last garage available. Friday, Sat, and Sunday for 150 bucks is more than worth it. Especially after driving 2,800 miles just to get there.... Look me up if you are around... I owe you at least a few drinks!

I am also throwing in a double oil cooler setup now that I had otherwise postponed for later in the summer...

JOECAT

Pablo, I talked with the owner of the buick today and he reminded me that there were 3 camera's inside the

car. I HAD A BRAIN FART ! Old age I guess but Shawn will tell you i'm still a kid right Shawn? I did drive a second

car up there so i can't remember everything anyway have a good tow out here.

Thanks, Joe

P.S. thanks for the links i'll check them out hope i don't scare myself !

pmcrespo

LOL...Joe... Glad I can help bringing back some memories and an unsolicited self "driver audit" of some past races... I would not be too worried... nothing but open track in front of you until you start lapping peeps!

Thanks... I am hoping the drive goes smooth. I decided to tow an aluminum open trailer rather than taking an enclosed rig. Abt 2,000 in weight savings that I won't be hustling around. Should also be an easier tow and less painful on the gas card....

I look forward to meeting you there...

Gian Bowles

I expect alot of cooperation and friendly driving going on out there. quote]

es Dad!...lol