Better track - Barber or CMP?

sperkins

I'm making my first visit to each track this year. Barber is next month and CMP is in July. Which do you like better and why?

Also, any specific advice about each track is appreciated.

CMP has more runoff room, and with the new T12 I really like it better even though its flat... Barber is too point & shoot, not alot of linked corners, etc. CMP will likely be less crowded too (a bit less popular + 3 trips with SE this year vs 1 trip to Barber)

Though I'm sure you'll get alot of responses that will say the opposite

flip a coin, both aren't bad at all

CMP looks to me like a much better track for a less experienced driver like myself. Like you said, there's much more runoff room and it's much less technical. I've watched a ton of videos from Barber and there appears to be a lot of areas with blind spots. I sure hope the corner workers are on their toes when I'm there next month.

thcorvette1.gif

your brakes may like Barber just a bit more, but IMHO with the new T12 @ CMP... Barber is the new brake-killer in the SE

Let me first say I have NOT been to Barber yet.

I would say go to both and form your own opinion. I agree with Ken in that the improvements made to CMP have really pushed it up a notch in my book. The final part of the track is great.

Barber is supposed to be a 5 star facility from what I have heard. I wouldn't miss a chance to go there. It is really far for me, if you are at a reasonable distance, you need to go to both.

I've been to Barber once and CMP twice. With the new config at CMP, I like it better. Cmp is a much faster track in my Cobra. Seems like I barely grabed 4th gear at Barber, and I'm running a 3.73 gear. On a side note, Barber has that country club atmosphere that is a joy to experience.

John

I would guess that oil temps would be more of an issue at Barber due to the limited straights which would put me in 3rd a lot.

I was at CMP for the first time and enjoyed it but the new T12 however while helping brakes seemed to be pretty hard on tires.

Finally some people that agree with me.

I give CMP the nod for the track layout, it's more fluid and more fun IMO. On a scale of 1-10 Barber is a 9 and CMP is a 9.1, that's how close they are IMO.

However other than the layout, EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING (track surface, location, accomodations, paddock, facilities, bathrooms, scenery) is by far better at Barber.

So if you're going on vacation, barber has a nice museum. If you're all about the track, CMP is the way to go IMO. But you should certainly do both. You cant go wrong either way.

Edited by Guest

Alot really does come down to facilities.

Barber is beautiful, great camping, tons of hotels and food pretty close, bathrooms, scoring towers, A/C classrooms, showers, - all top notch.

CMP is way in the boonies, only a couple places to eat (but I like Gus's house o' pizza ). No real good hotels close. They have upgraded some stuff lately, but it is also 2 hours farther away for me. Not quite as good a track surface.

I think I like the layout at CMP just a bit better, but BMP is just such an easier, more relaxing weekend. And 4 hours less on the round trip. And when I get home, everything i brought isn't innundated with sand.

However other than the layout, EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING (track surface, location, accomodations, paddock, facilities, bathrooms, scenery) is by far better at CMP.

Did you mean to say Barber?

You can't be saying that the Kershaw, SC Hotels are better than Bham?????

However other than the layout, EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING (track surface, location, accomodations, paddock, facilities, bathrooms, scenery) is by far better at CMP.

Did you mean to say Barber?

You can't be saying that the Kershaw, SC Hotels are better than Bham?????

Of course I did, I looked at my post again before going to page 2 and was wondering if someone got it before I did. I corrected it. Surely no one would prefer whatever that Inn is in town by CMP over a real hotel. I couldnt imagine sleeping in there.

I suppose were on the opposite side of the fence. Barber is fantastic and flows very well, elevation change is great and the cork screw is a blast (mini laguna style). Don't get me wrong I like CMP too, but I like Barber more.

mpowers

The Colony Inn in Camden is do-able. But the places in Kershaw are scary. Darn cheap, but i would sleep under the EZ-UP first. Or in the car, a tent, on the ground......

I take it you prefer either one over Roebling huh.

Roebling is like a hot dumb blonde who takes you home. It is a really fun weekend. But you can figure it out pretty quick.

CMP and BMP are more like brunettes - a bit more to figure out.

(Not being sexist, trying to be amusing)

Then Road Atlanta has to be the red head of the southeast. She's fun, a blast to drive, fast and complicated. Then BAM! She steps up and bites ya!

Then Road Atlanta has to be the red head of the southeast. She's fun, a blast to drive, fast and complicated. Then BAM! She steps up and bites ya!

Yup, the redhead

+1 more for CMP now

Barber now *requires* 5 or 6 point belts and arm restraints for convertables. Track Rule, not a NASA rule

+1 more for CMP now

Barber now *requires* 5 or 6 point belts and arm restraints for convertables. Track Rule, not a NASA rule

Yeah it would have been nice if they would have let you guys know in advance. I heard a guy trailered his car for a couple of hundred miles and wasn't able to run. His fuel costs was enormous. Not cool.

100% the fault of the track. I don't like the track that much to start with, but I will definitely make sure they don't get any of my money by proxy anymore