Wild weekend

mikew968

With all the cars and disparity of speed it was a wild couple of races. Now I know what Scott and Sean go thru!!!!!

Mike

There were about ~54 cars on the track (quite a bit for putnam). GTS-2 was the fast class with a big range of lap times. I was chasing a car while being chased. This was the case of most of the race. While this was going on we were trying to work thru all of the slower traffic. You had to push at every spot or risk getting passed or loosing touch with the car ahead. I will see if I can get some video posted.

Mike

There were about ~54 cars on the track (quite a bit for putnam). GTS-2 was the fast class with a big range of lap times. I was chasing a car while being chased. This was the case of most of the race. While this was going on we were trying to work thru all of the slower traffic. You had to push at every spot or risk getting passed or loosing touch with the car ahead. I will see if I can get some video posted.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Welcome to our world. Wonder why we are always pushing hard to get through traffic and stay in touch with each other. Those holes close up in a hurry, don't they Believe me the other group wasn't much better, actually a bit tougher at times, especially those roadster's and they have 4 mirrors.... . I'll take an all GTS run group any time.

-Scott

I agree with 3 run groups and an all GTS group. I think having to work thru traffic does improve your race craft!! I think I will watch my mirrors more when you guys are on the track!!!!!!!!

Good seeing everyone. The GTS2 battles were great. I must say the A/Lighting race group did a nice job considering the number of cars on track. From the sidelines it looked like everyone was heads up and mindful of what racing was going on in front and behind them.

My race was pretty clean assisted by the great accelleration of the two cars ahead of me on the start. Overall, the Saturday B/Thunder race was less than pretty. Lots of yellows, blocking, and carnage. It only takes a couple mistakes/bad decisions to really screw up a fellow racers weekend. I'm looking forward to being back among the GTS field where the racing is fast and clean dispite vast differences in lap times.

See all y'all in at Mid-OH!

Sean

I agree with having all the GTS cars in the same field and really enjoy running with the GTS3 cars on track. I will say I learned a lot this past weekend and can now understand why at times it seems like the fast 3 cars are making risky passes often. I found myself doing the same thing over and over with the Miatas, because if I didn't, there was a fast GTS2 guy right on my tail ready to make the same pass. All that said, I did enjoy running with the Miatas and think as a group they are excellent racers and we all coexisted just fine. It was a very fun weekend.

Brad

I agree with having all the GTS cars in the same field and really enjoy running with the GTS3 cars on track. I will say I learned a lot this past weekend and can now understand why at times it seems like the fast 3 cars are making risky passes often. I found myself doing the same thing over and over with the Miatas, because if I didn't, there was a fast GTS2 guy right on my tail ready to make the same pass. All that said, I did enjoy running with the Miatas and think as a group they are excellent racers and we all coexisted just fine. It was a very fun weekend.

Brad

I was a few seconds off the GTS2 pace, so I found myself in the Miata pack. Some good tough racing, though I did get a SM sandwich at one point (and have the damage to prove it!). But the SM racer that caused the incident came up after the race and apologized, which I was already cool with anyway. A good bunch, though I'd be happy just the same to be quicker and racing in my own class

I hope to post the vid in the next day or two.

I thought it was great racing with the Miatas. Considering how close their racing is, it's amazing how aware they all seem to be of faster traffic approaching from behind.

I know I had many instances over the weekend where I passed a Miata who was, in turn, passing somebody else and in almost every case they did it in a way that worked for both of us without costing either much speed or momentum.

Thanks to everybody at NASA for a terrific weekend!

Scott

I had a blast battling it out with Mike and Carl (thanks for the excitement). I can now fully appreciate what it is like to be in the fastest group on track- working through traffic while maintaining your race. I definitely grew up a little this past weekend. One step closer to my big boy undies. Hope to see you all @ Grattan. It will be good times.

Matt Markowicz

I had a blast battling it out with Mike and Carl (thanks for the excitement). I can now fully appreciate what it is like to be in the fastest group on track- working through traffic while maintaining your race. I definitely grew up a little this past weekend. One step closer to my big boy undies. Hope to see you all @ Grattan. It will be good times.

Matt Markowicz

Sean and I were watching your guys race. Which was kinda wierd when we're used to racing with you..... Any way you guys were have quite a battle, exchanging positions every few laps. Matt, just remember sometimes you got to protect the inside or those sneaky red p-cars will get you at the end of the straight......

Cheers, Scott

Nice job Matt. Good to see an Audi on the podium. Wish I could have been there, but unfortunately I didn't have my computer back in time. Not sure about Grattan yet, but I will be back for Mid-O in July for sure.

Good job matt!! That was quite a battle. There were definately places where each of us were faster!!

Mike

Thanks for the tip Scott. I'll add that to my secret notepad. It did feel weird watching GTS 3 and 4 from the front straight, but like like you said I'd much rather have an all GTS run group any day. It just feels right.... Mike, you had that great 9/10 combo that I'm willing to bet gave you an exit speed of 2-3 mph on me. I could really tell heading down the front straight and you put a nice pass on me on the inside before the turn in for one. I'll have to work on my 9/10 combo in October. As well as take Scotty B's advice.

Matt Markowicz