Early Capris (71-78) okay?

GreenLocust

They meet the wheelbase (100.3") and they say Mercury on the nose (not Merkur, XR4Ti's can't play.) I would like to move from autocross to a road class but I don't want to bump into the made in the USA rule. They were made in Germany but badged Mercury. The F-bodies and GTOs are foreign too but I'd like some consensus before moving forward.

That's too bad. If I wanted to run a Mustang I'd run AS. I think they're missing the mark on the foreign made double standard with the F-bodies and Holdens but not letting the German Fords in. The XR's and Capris are well developed club racers in Europe-far more developed the F-bodies. Maybe relaxing the wheelbase rules and letting in Pintos, Vegas, Corvairs, Fieros and FWD 80's Mopars would bring a little a variety and mass appeal to AI and NASA in general.

I agree. The Pintos and Mustang Dueces were told no becaus they don't really follow the spirit of what the class is all about. I had thought that Capris and the like could be a class similar to the U-2 class in the old Trans-Am series, ALFA-Romeos, Porsches and Datsuns fighting it out on the same track as the Cudas, Camaros and Mustangs.

• 6 years later...

I used to own a capri back in 86-90... it was a pretty cool little car. Mine was a '76. I actually put a Ford Mustang 5.0 engine in it. -it fit great and was very fast. I used to blow 944's away all the time. -as well as mustang 5.0's since my capri was lighter.

Ford / Mercury made the capri. They were sold in Europe as well as the US from about 1974 to 1987. They came in 4 or 6 cylinder models. They shared the same engines as many other cars of the day.. the 4 cylinder used the same 2.3 engine as was in pinto's and the like. The early Capri's (early to mid 70's were pretty cool cars and had a unique look). Sometime in the early to mid 90's Ford/Mercury re-launched the capri line ...it was a pathetic attempt to bring back the once popular car. The capri of the 90's looked nothing like the earlier versions... I think Ford was trying to compete against the super popular Miata of the early 90's. -it was a lame and feeble attempt. My friends and I would refer to the Capri of the 90's as a "Crapi".

Honestly I can't see Ford/Mercury bringing back the Capri. Although a cool car in it's day, I don't think the Capri has as much brand recognition w/ today's buyers... heck 1/2 the people on this forum didn't know what a Capri was. -why bring it back?

A good place for them is ST. AI is for Muscle Cars and those cars just don't fit that criteria. A Pinto with a Cleveland doing wheelies down the straight would be cool though.

The Pintos and Mustang Dueces were told no becaus they don't really follow the spirit of what the class is all about.

"Spirit of the rules" aside, the Pintos and Pinto-stangs do not meet the 100" minimum wheelbase rule, at 94" and 96", respectively.

On edit: I just noticed that somebody dug up a 6+ year old thread.

Mark

Honestly I can't see Ford/Mercury bringing back the Capri.

That's a pretty safe bet considering Ford $hit-canned the entire Mercury brand. The final Mercury rolled off the line about three weeks ago.

Dammit..."Brie" is a spammer (the link in the signature just tipped me off, albeit a bit late). That entire post was copied from a Camaro website, and was posted in January 2008. Alerting the authorities now...

Mark