Trophies for Nationals

Clutchless Bastard

With the increase in entryfees does that mean we will get trophies worthy of a National Championship?

I never showed last year's trophy to anyone because I was embarassed.

I have won more elaborate trophies in Porsche Club autocrosses with a $10.- entryfee.

Karl

seconded

the drop from 2006 to 2007 was pretty stark... and with getting there and running rapidly approaching a budget of $3,000 that is a factor in consideration, doubly so since I rarely qualify for any contingencies running such a stock car

Personally I'd rather have a party closer to the 2006 one than the 2007 one instead of nicer trophies!

(Though maybe that's just because while I'm sure I'll get to party I'm not sure I'll get a trophy)

- Mark

I proposed and setup a possible scenario for NASA for the party. It would cost NASA about $6K which is substantial and I don't blame NASA if they aren't able to do it.

Ok, that was said. Anyway, I asked one of my sponsors, Shannon Curfman to do a concert at Nationals. She has an opening and isn't asking for anything but traveling expenses, and for NASA to setup the sound stage. She's a singer/song writer who plays guitar and sings in her band. She started when she was sixteen, and is now 22. She owns her own recording studio and has sang with greats like BB King, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Neil Young, Santana, Buddy guy, Jeff Healy, and the list goes on. She's played on Letterman, Leno, and her songs are played in shows like The Sopranos. She's a rocker with a little blues and is awesome in concert. Her latest album is called "Fast Lane Addiction". Seemed appropriate to us.

Anyway, I know that the powers that be want her to do a concert, but money is the issue and understandably so. There's a lot going on, and a lot of money being spent. Just thought I'd take this opportunity to see what the opinions were here about a potential concert as the party night and ask if anyone has any suggestions that might help NASA make this happen for us.

Opinions and suggestions would be great!

http://www.shannoncurfman.com

http://www.myspace.com/shannoncurfman

While a concert might be nice, my main thing would be to get to meet and socialize with drivers from the different regions. This doesn't have to cost a ton of $$. Last year's event just didn't seem as condusive to socializing as the year before (why - location, distance from track, shuttle options? - I don't know). For me though a large part of going to the track is the social aspect, and it is great to make some new friendships at Nationals.

- Mark

Lets not stray from the original topic/issue here ... trophies. Karl, you make a great point, the trophies/awards that get handed out at the end of a race weekend are pathetic, I don't even bother to collect mine anymore and thats not the way it should be. NASA needs to reach out and thank the teams and drivers for all the time and money we pour into these race weekends by providing a more acceptable award to the podium finishers. We sacrifice a lot to attend these events, the least NASA can do is provide a meaningful award that we can be proud to show our wives, kids and sponsors at the end of a race weekend.

E Fisher # 12

AIX

Lets not stray from the original topic/issue here ... trophies. Karl, you make a great point, the trophies/awards that get handed out at the end of a race weekend are pathetic, I don't even bother to collect mine anymore and thats not the way it should be. NASA needs to reach out and thank the teams and drivers for all the time and money we pour into these race weekends by providing a more acceptable award to the podium finishers. We sacrifice a lot to attend these events, the least NASA can do is provide a meaningful award that we can be proud to show our wives, kids and sponsors at the end of a race weekend.

E Fisher # 12

AIX

My thoughts exactly. No offense to the other guys but if I want to go to a concert or party I can do that for a lot less than what it takes to run Nationals. I don't have to prepare for it all year, I don't have to leave work and family for days and it sure doesn't cost anywhere near what we all invest to be at Mid Ohio.

I remember the slogan NASA had in '06.

" Be a part of history, be the first ever NASA National Champion"

Some of us made that goal a reality and what did we get?

Is it all about $$$$ and nothing else?

Karl

By party you're referring to the prison in '06 right?

What happens in prison is supposed to stay in prison, Allen.

Sorry I took the thread off topic - I will admit, it is a big accomplishment to win Nationals and the trophies probably should reflect that a little more closely.

Personally I liked the 2006 ones, I didn't get a 2007 one but from what I saw they didn't look as nice as the "best cellmate ever" awards from Mansfield Reformatory.

- Mark

By party you're referring to the prison in '06 right?

What happens in prison is supposed to stay in prison, Allen.

Sorry I took the thread off topic - I will admit, it is a big accomplishment to win Nationals and the trophies probably should reflect that a little more closely.

Personally I liked the 2006 ones, I didn't get a 2007 one but from what I saw they didn't look as nice as the "best cellmate ever" awards from Mansfield Reformatory.

- Mark

Actually, I think I brought it off track. I was just curious about the desire to have a better party and what the interest might be. I chose the wrong thread.

Personally, I'd just like to get a trophy and don't really care what it looks like. I have 50 plus trophies from my racing years and couldn't give a crap about what any of them look like while they are in their respective boxes. This includes a championship trophy. Having achieved it and remembering what it took to get there is the best trophy in the world.

On the other hand, cool trophies wouldn't hurt though and they aren't much money compared to the good size entry fee we all pay. When someone wins a race and shows off the trophy, it would show better for NASA to have one that looks good.

Sometimes, people need to take the bull by the balls. NASA does allot, but can't do everything.

For CMC, several of us had the same thoughts as you all - a better trophy to present to the National Champ. Instead of griping, we got off our collective asses, and and built our own National Trophy - several folks donated parts (there's one Chevy rod/piston and one Ford rod/piston, donated by Mitch Warren and myself), and time (Don Lariviere did the lion's share of the design with input from 4 or 5 CMC racers, and ALL the fabrication). Costs were not major, as several folks chipped in, plus we used a portion of our annual "series fund" to defray costs.

CMCNationalTrophy1.jpg

The "tire" measures 18" in diameter and is 9" wide. The center plaque will be unbolted next year when the previous year's champ hands the trophy over to its next holder. The Champ gets to keep that part each year.

CMCNationalTrophy2.jpg

Along the tire tread, the individual blocks screw on. Each year the new Champ's name will be immortalized on the trophy. There are spaces for 20 names, with of course two used. Seventeen years from now we'll just "widen" the tire by adding another ring! Recently, we implemented a "design change" - below the Champ's name will be the region he/she originates from, as well as a machined lip around each tread block to help it stand out from the rest of the "tire".

CMCNationalTrophy3.jpg

Here is the 2007 CMC Champ, Jeff Burch, having his first look at the trophy at our annual Texas AI CMC Awards Banquet, held January 2008 in Dallas at a local karting facility.

CMCNationalTrophy6.jpg

Jeff Burch and Todd Covini pick up the hefty 50lb trophy!

CMCNationalTrophy4.jpg

And here are a few guys wondering where they'll put that trophy...next year!!

CMCNationalTrophy5.jpg

We have a huge pool of talented people, from all walks of life, all types of disciplines, and all types of industries that race with NASA. And, that talented pool has untold access to various machinery/materials/time/etc to build something similar. Yes, we'd love to have NASA do this for us, but...really, we are ALL members of the sport, and giving back is part of the sport. As such, looking from within to "do for your fellow racer", and "do for the sport" will never be forgotten by those who race alongside you.

Thank God we have people like you Adam that can teach us all and show us the way.

NASA can and should provide a more appropriate trophy for the racers who work hard enough to get to the podium, that was the only point made here. I commend you on creating your own trophy, your a real Pioneer ( we all got the general idea right after your 12th picture ) we already privately fund trophies as well ... our POINT is that some racers feel that NASA should take on that responsibility/expense as a meaningful gesture to the racers who make NASA what it is today. This post was not a gripe nor was it intended as an insult to anyone .... it was simply a fair suggestion that you so conveniently turned into a criticism by manipulating the content of the post and implying that people other than yourself sit on their collective asses. Way to go Alice.

E Fisher #12

AIX

You're trying to tell me this:

.....Karl, you make a great point, the trophies/awards that get handed out at the end of a race weekend are pathetic, I don't even bother to collect mine anymore and thats not the way it should be. NASA needs to reach out and thank the teams and drivers for all the time and money we pour into these race weekends by providing a more acceptable award to the podium finishers. We sacrifice a lot to attend these events, the least NASA can do is provide a meaningful award that we can be proud to show our wives, kids and sponsors at the end of a race weekend.

Isn't a gripe?

Clearly, you took my suggestion as a criticism - and misunderstood it.

In CMC, we had the exact same conversation regarding a National trophy, and decided to take the matter into our own hands. As such, I thought sharing what we did would be beneficial to the group. My mistake, Elliott.

Adam thats cool for you guys

I think the rest want that $75 increase to partially go towards more than $1.50 trophies is all

Good gawly, no sour grapes or gripes here!

The trophy NASA gave me

moremisc%20024.jpg

along with the keepsake calander shot, the bottle of champagne, the Mid Ohio towel, the video, the photos with purdy girls and the whole experience was one of the greatest moments of my 46 years.

I can't understand while your experiences were different.

jb

ps

oh I forgot, the Toyo Champion cap, the Toyo Champions pic/page in GRM, the many writeups and pics in GRM, my sponsor ads/pics, the big ass CMC Toyo Tire Trophy AG mentioned above and the respect and admiration from peers and family.

It's been the gift that keeps on giving all year long.

Finding a cheap, tasteful, and cool trophy is tough but doable.

On the parties - In '06 & '07 I had so much fun, I want to keep coming. The whole experience is bigger than couple hrs on track. That's something to consider.

Any trophy is cool for about a month, then they collect dust. On the other hand, I'm still enjoying my contingencies today! Keep you eyes on the prize, boys.

easy to say when your class is big enough to have the entries and you run the right parts

I'll die of excitement when Kumho, Koni, Toyota, and Carbotech get off their kiesters and offer contingency prizes as well - but its only $. That nice piece of etched crystal still looks nice on my desk from 2006, though I've spent the Porterfield $$ long ago

Carbotech is one of CMC's BIGGEST sponsors.

jb

True.

Carbotech has been a HUGE supporter of HC, SM, CMC, AI, GTS and NASA and the NASA Championships as a whole for years.

Carbotech and other brake pad manufactures can't offer a officially recognized contingency for the National this year. Hawk is the brake pad of NASA (this year) and will be the only pad to offer a (official) contingency prize program that is promoted by NASA (via website, e-mails and other methods).

The good news for us Carbotech guys... Danny and team Carbotech are putting together a program to blow Hawk's little program off the map.

Off the record, I think this is a terrible move on Hawk's part. Makes them look desperate and afraid to let their products stand on their own merit.

JW- who will post the Carbotech program the minute I get it. I bet the program is gonna be huge and dwarf Hawk's little offerings.

Stay tuned.

as long as its none of this "need 100 cars in class" crap like the tire companies do, it'd be a little bit of help

- Ken, who wants the return of the 2006 trophies though, and wants people to remember thats what this topic is about

Carbotech get off their kiesters

- confused.

^ reason for my post was your statement/ question. Carbotech's 08 Natl. program that you asked about would have been out long ago.

Yeah, the 2006 trophy was much better.

See ya at the track, Ken.

JW