2008 Miata with automatic folding hardtop

mwenning

I searched and could not find the answer to this question. Would this car be ok for HPDE's? Would it have to run with the top up (which I'd probably do for safety)? I was at Barbers and saw both add-on hardtops and topless out there.

Thanks.

First, I am just a driver - I would drop down to the SE section and PM wildhorseracing (Jim P - regional director)

Barber has different rules from the other tracks in the SE.

Convertibles must run approved roll bar and 5 pt harnesses. Top up or down is your choice.

Other tracks in the SE, top up or down - your choice. Roll bar or factory approved rollover protection. Stock belts fine.

I don't know if a hard top negates any of Barber's rules for a miata, or if it negates the rollbar needed at other tracks. And the new 08 auto top I don't know if the question has even been asked yet.

The SE rules have changed a little bit over the past couple events - so we are all trying to keep straight what is legal.

Thanks. I was going to ask Mr. Pantas at Barbers but they were really busy. I never thought about email. Tnanks again.

Barber has different rules from the other tracks in the SE.

Convertibles must run approved roll bar and 5 pt harnesses. Top up or down is your choice.

Other tracks in the SE, top up or down - your choice.

Only for the sake of comparison, NASA-FL requires that HPDE convertibles all run with their tops down in order to reduce the risk of being skewered by one of the convertible top support braces in the event of a rollover.

Mark

and that used to be the case with SE, but they've subscribed to an updated study AFAIK and feel like top up and keeping the occupants constrained is now the way to go

best way is to go with a true tin-top car, but that isn't an option with a factory delivered Miata right now