• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOT///MPOWER

• Renntag

• Gonz

• jon dawes

We will have pics and vid shortly for group 1 and 2 as well as the Thunder Group.

One of our guys was in the red miata street car you passed.

Your car sounds great.

Thanks for the compliments! the 318 doesn't sound so healthy at idle tho!

I've got to say... point by's were given & taken well by eveyone this weekend. A real testament to the caliber of every student & the instruction at NASA.

I wish my car had that kind of power!

...at the end of the video, you can barely see what I'm guessing is Charlie Kiser's E36 against the tire wall between T8 & T9. Does anyone know if he's ok? I didn't see him the rest of the day. The front end of the car looked pretty beat up.

Thanks for the compliments! the 318 doesn't sound so healthy at idle tho!

you're welcome. My car doesnt idle well either, but it likes WOT.

I've got to say... point by's were given & taken well by eveyone this weekend. A real testament to the caliber of every student & the instruction at NASA.

That is great to hear! 3 of the guys you are out there with will be racing with me next year!

I wish my car had that kind of power!

who? what? mine? 215HP at the crank. I guess it's all relative. I had a Miata track car for a while, so I know what it's like.

...at the end of the video, you can barely see what I'm guessing is E36 against the tire wall between T8 & T9. Does anyone know if he's ok? I didn't see him the rest of the day. The front end of the car looked pretty beat up.

It was in fact a beautiful blue E36 M3. Seeing that took the wind out of my sails. I did a cool down lap and pitted in, with probably 3 or 4 laps to go in the session. The driver was OK enough to get out of the car on his own with his fire extinguisher in hand. The report during our class room session was that he complained about a stiff neck ( as you can imagine) and was taken for a medical evaluation.

Very sad to see that incident. Hope it's nothing worse than a sore neck.

Here is a short video from 3rd session on Sunday, Group 3. We got called in after 15 minutes for lightning. Fortunately only a few drops of rain fell ontrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw5Q7nktMCk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glad to hear he got out of his car under his own power. The car can be repaired / replaced.

That is great to hear! 3 of the guys you are out there with will be racing with me next year!

Hopefully I'll be racing in the Spec E30 series when NASA deems me ready!

who? what? mine? 215HP at the crank. I guess it's all relative. I had a Miata track car for a while, so I know what it's like.

better than 127 at the crank... (but then again my car weighs less than 2500lbs)

Any idea when you would like to be in comp school?

How many group 2 events do you have under your belt?

Any idea when you would like to be in comp school?

How many group 2 events do you have under your belt?

I have 2 weekends (4 days) with the audi club in yellow group (like group 2),

and 4 weekends (8 days) with NASA in group 2.

Total number of track days is 17.

So far as when I would like to be in comp school... I know I am not ready just yet. My situational awareness is good, but not perfect. Driving at 10/10ths is becoming automatic, but throw in traffic and that may be another story.

My ability to react to an abnormal situation on-track has yet to be tested, and I think would make for a great drill. Obviously, head up - eyes wide open helps to anticipate problems.

I am thinking comp school by the end of next season, which should realistically give me plenty of days in group 3 to fine tune my skills for wheel to wheel.

Your thoughts?

(btw all, sorry for the thread hi-jack... but it's my thread! )

That all sounds great. Not rushing yourself is also very good. It is important to iron out the bugs in the driver in group 2. You should be well aware of your bad habits and have a clear plan in place to eliminate them. This makes you a stronger driver at least from the physical end. HPDE is low stress, so the mental work out has yet to come.

One way you can prepare for the unexpected is to constantly evaluate what is going on with drivers ahead of you. See what their car is doing, perhaps what their inputs are and guess what is going to happen next. By staying in control of your own car while evaluating the cars ahead and behind, you are now expanding your mental strength while establishing stellar situational awareness. Being able to evaluate situations rapidly is the key to being successful in competition.

Once you are in group 3, it is time to work toward driving at the subconscious level. You should be able to drive atleast 9/10 without even thinking about it. When asked " how did you do that", or " what are you doing here to here"....you may find yourself not able to answer clearly with out really thinking about it.

Think about this....could you follow simple hand written directions to walk to a destination a few blocks away, if you had to think about flexing and relaxing each muscle in your body to make that happen? There would be no mental power left to read.

Once you are driving without thinking about it, you can start to think about how to work traffic, where is the other driver weak, where are they strong, do we have slower traffic ahead or faster cars behind. (?)

We have many fast drivers in our region and as such it is a big jump from group 2 to 3. Drivers find they are the fastest in 2 and then get a point-by work out the first few events in 3.

See how you feel and maybe push yourself to get into group 3 and really start to explore your potential. Come talk to me at the track or feel free to email/pm anytime.

I will be at the next two www.trackdaze.com events at summit point. Come on out and enjoy a great day of driving Summit Main.

Thanks for the advice! I look forward to seeing you at the track. I'll be at VIR next month, followed by SP in August & October, then back at VIR in November with the audi club. I think I'm gonna have to find a sugar-momma to support my track addiction!

Thanks for the advice! ...... I think I'm gonna have to find a sugar-momma to support my track addiction!

youre welcome, and you might just try living out of your race trailer or an RV ! ....LOL

Hey Fritz, it's your instructor Matt. Glad to see all went well on your solo session, you'll be up in group 3 before you know what happened. My personal opinion is that after another weekend in group 2 you'll probably be ready (but I can't promise anything). Ultimately it will be Dan Unkefer who decides if you're ready, I suggest you send him an email to discuss your goals and see if he can be sure to have an instructor evaluate you for group 3 in one of your upcoming weekends.

Some tips to help you (and anybody in group 2) get there :

Be the most aware driver on the track. This should include recognizing and responding to flags immediately. Recognize the lines the drivers around you are taking, and where they are going to make their mistakes. Recognize the lines that you'll be taking to catch them, or for the first few weeks in group 3, figure out the line you'll take to allow them by without interrupting your line/speed that much. Knowing how to use your hands to communicate to those around you.

Practice driving different lines, practice driving off line, practice in the wet and dry. Track surfaces are different everywhere, water collects in different places. Experience gives you this exposure to different conditions. On top of this, know where your safest runoff areas are.

Volunteering for NASA for a weekend is an outstanding way to gain you some experience with how the track operates and will get you better accustomed to the expectations of all the different run groups. I recommend that everybody try flagging for a weekend, it will give you an appreciation for what the flaggers are telling you, and the things that they can see that you cannot. The experienced flaggers that NASA brings in from SCCA are some of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to getting around a track fastest and safest. If you can't find a weekend to flag, at least try to find an hour or two to visit a flag station and see how they operate.

It was a pleasure instructing you this weekend, best of luck for the future.

Here's a video from a few laps in HPDE 4 from my car this weekend. 1995 Acura Integra GS-R, mostly stock with basic I/H/E, koni yellow adjustable shocks, stock springs, type r rear sway bar. Hawk HP+ brakes and toyo ra-1s to make me stop and turn.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a good weekend all around, but wasn't pushing it really anywhere. I was playing with different shift points around the track (the video is too short to show all the combinations I tried). On a typical lap I'm in 3rd gear around 1 &2, up to 4th for 3 &4, 3rd for 5-9, 4th for 10. But I tried 2nd in 1, up to 3rd in 2, 3rd in 3, 2nd in 5, 3rd in 6-8, 4th for 9 & 10 and combinations of all that.

Trying to find the balance between minimizing shifts and my cars limited torque curve has been difficult, but after watching my video I can clearly see I have runoff room in 9 and 10 where I can possibly carry more speed, telling me I should carry the higher gear and enter with a little less brake. I could possibly carry more speed into T4, but I don't trust my brakes to get the job done before T5. The car is 175k miles old, and doesn't like shifting mid corner, it will grind gears if I try shifting 2nd to 3rd in T2, so I usually hold 3rd gear through both T1 & T2. I have tried holding 3rd gear between T2 and T3, but I bounce off the rev limiter on the straight, or I shift to 4th, brake, and struggle to put power down up the hill. Typically I down shift to 3rd for 5-9, but coming out of 5 I played with 2nd gear and short shifting to 3rd before 6. If I hold 2nd longer than that I bounce of the rev limiter before 7 and have to shift mid turn (car doesn't like). I played with short shifting to 4th before 9, but it leaves me feeling under powered approaching the bridge. I'm pretty sure 4th is the correct gear for T10, if I down shift to 3rd I end up slower down the straight.

I'd be glad to hear any constructive input on how and where to find more speed out on track. Thanks in advance!

.... If you can't find a weekend to flag, at least try to find an hour or two to visit a flag station and see how they operate.

This is excellent advise and is now a requirement for comp school students.

unlistenable with the crackly sound...

Yeah, I know... The sound quality sucks. But money for more track weekends, followed by camber plates, sways, and m20 upgrade come first!

Hey Fritz, it's your instructor Matt. Glad to see all went well on your solo session, you'll be up in group 3 before you know what happened. My personal opinion is that after another weekend in group 2 you'll probably be ready (but I can't promise anything). Ultimately it will be Dan Unkefer who decides if you're ready, I suggest you send him an email to discuss your goals and see if he can be sure to have an instructor evaluate you for group 3 in one of your upcoming weekends.

Matt,

Thanks for the excellent instruction. We'll see what NASA thinks about my moving up. I think the continuing instruction is worth staying in group 2, but would hate to miss out on the experience of open passing (w/point-by) afforded by running in group 3. I think that I'm ready for it, or at least a taste of it.

It was a pleasure instructing you this weekend, best of luck for the future.

Thanks, Matt... I had a lot of fun. You (and all instructors) have a set of steel balls getting in a car with a driver you don't know, and trusting them to bring you back to your wife unscathed! I envy your bravery! Can't wait to be able to do it myself! There's a lot of kids out there who REALLY NEED IT.

unlistenable with the crackly sound...

Yeah, I know... The sound quality sucks. But money for more track weekends, followed by camber plates, sways, and m20 upgrade come first!

I actually did watch the video and enjoyed it other than the sound...interesting how early you apex on 10...but you didn't do that every time so maybe you were just 'using the whole track'...either way it seemed to work for you.

i hear you on the $$$ for audio visual stuff...not sure what camera you are using, but a tiny bit of microphone foam [or similar] over the audio intake may cut lots of the crackling and keep the engine/exhaust sounds...just an idea [that you may have already tried...]

JD

Nice job Jon.

The howl from the rear is either getting louder or your camera picks it up better than mine.

I had some Mexican food the night before...lol.

Not sure if you mean the tires rubbing [a 'buzzing' sound] or the diff howling. It all sounds the same as it always has to me, just more tire rub in 3 and 5 than I'd like.