Any pics / vids from HPDE @ Hyperfest?

NOT///MPOWER

I actually did watch the video and enjoyed it other than the sound...interesting how early you apex on 10...but you didn't do that every time so maybe you were just 'using the whole track'...either way it seemed to work for you.

There were a couple of late passes resulting in me taking T10 off-line, but I may have also just been apexing early too.

i hear you on the $$$ for audio visual stuff...not sure what camera you are using, but a tiny bit of microphone foam [or similar] over the audio intake may cut lots of the crackling and keep the engine/exhaust sounds...just an idea [that you may have already tried...]

JD

Haven't tried that yet! Thanks for the idea!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOT///MPOWER

• Renntag

• Gonz

• jon dawes

Here are some in-car videos from Group 2. Enjoy?!

Cool videos. That's the kind of instructor I like(d) having ! Very enthusiastic rather than the "nervous nelly" kind.

What's your tire rubbing ? or why is it rubbing? Is it because you run coilovers in the rear? If they would be any use to you, I've got a set of 1" H&R wheel spacers which I will probably never use.

If you are interested, let me know.

Anyway, I run 275 RA1 on a 17x9 rim (et28) and have not noticed any rubbing Some guys fit 315's back there on 10.5" rims.

Where were you paddocked at Hyperfest ? I would have liked to say hi & check out your race car. I parked in the only spaces left, which were almost at the T3 flagging station.

Gonz.

Cool videos. That's the kind of instructor I like(d) having ! Very enthusiastic rather than the "nervous nelly" kind.

It helps that my instructor ran in the front in CMC in the recent past I love being 'pushed' by my instructors.

What's your tire rubbing ? or why is it rubbing? Is it because you run coilovers in the rear? If they would be any use to you, I've got a set of 1" H&R wheel spacers which I will probably never use.

I have to investigate. Coilovers = illegal in CMC. It does that at VIR at the top of the roller coaster and in T4 and like crazy in 3 and 5 at SPR. I have an adjustable panhard bar that may eliminate the rubbing, or I may take you up on the spacers.

Where were you paddocked at Hyperfest ? I would have liked to say hi & check out your race car. I parked in the only spaces left, which were almost at the T3 flagging station.

Straight out from the tech shed, 3rd trailer in with a load of cars [4 mustangs and a miata]. Just look for the yellow #81 Mustang or my white #18 and I should be around! Soon, we'll have some banners and a big canopy like Phil's Tires has and you'll just look for the RENNTAG RACING paddock and there we'll be

I've spoken with you before about working on my 94 GT. I gave up on that and bought a race car instead.

JD

There is indeed a spot on the wheel well that is rubbed shiny from something, but it may not be the source. Probably just have to play with the spacers/panhard adjustment/blobbenstopper gorble.

We make sure the axle is centered. then hammer what ever spot is hitting. I had to do a little "3 pound sledge motivated inner panel massage" on my race car....perhaps yours needs the same treatment.

My car never made the noise that yours makes. That sounds to me more like "brake moan" which that brake/axle combo is known for, hence the "moan brackets" in the Motorsport catalog. i wouldnt install these brackets, there are other ways to quiet the demon.

Matt,

Thanks for the excellent instruction. We'll see what NASA thinks about my moving up. I think the continuing instruction is worth staying in group 2, but would hate to miss out on the experience of open passing (w/point-by) afforded by running in group 3. I think that I'm ready for it, or at least a taste of it.

Just because you're in 3 doesn't mean you can't take an instructor with you. That's my plan for the first couple sessions.

BTW, I was the all red Miata hard top in your group.

I was the all red Miata hard top in your group.

I believe there were 2 of those.

There was a black with red hard top Spec Miata and the there was a red open top street car. I didn't see any other all red hard tops although it would have been easy to miss going that slow in such a large group.

There is indeed a spot on the wheel well that is rubbed shiny from something, but it may not be the source...

maybe that happened during your T5 spin

I agree (with your boss ) it doesn't sound like tire rub. With a panhard bar, and no tail pipes and an SN95 body, it would seem odd that you'd be rubbing 255 on 8" rims. Sounds like you are taking a look at it soon enough.

So tell me this; at the end of the video, when you spin, the instructor says "do you know why that happened?" Then you said "went in too hot," Then he says what he thought caused it, but the audio was cut off.

Gonz.

I heard it clearly.

"you know why that happened?"

"...I went in too hot"

"...Because Chris was behind you."

actually I think it started going bad at turn in. Perhaps not looking far enough ahead for T6.

Once 2 wheels were dropped, instead of straightening it out, steering was kept in and possibly some throttle as well. Wooop ! around she went.

Glad there was no car to car contact after the fact.

Good job Jon !

Yeah what Colin said. Once the rears were in the grass, I shoulda gone straight to T6, but I tried to 'save' it [like a retard] and made things worse for myself. I ended the video there because that was the best place to end it to remind me where to keep my head and my eyes and where to focus my thoughts.

Re: tire rub. I don't think you guys are necessarily talking about the same thing I am. I am hearing several things, but one of them is the tire/wheel rubbing on something...it sounds like it would if you took a high speed sander and just touched it to a piece of wood, rapid contact of thing 'a' with thing 'b'. There is also a 'moan', but I'm more concerned about the rubbing. Whatever it is has been that way for several years of track events/races [i'm assuming this is the case but don't know 100% for sure, the car's traded hands several times, been wrecked several times, and was a CMC rental last year, so in the end I'm not overly worried [nor am I going to totally ignore the issue].

JD

BTW, I was the all red Miata hard top in your group.

Yup... I had attempted a pass between T9 & T10, but didn't have enough steam to overtake you, and I tucked back in, but you pointed me by again after T10 and kindly lifted to facilitate my pass on the front strait. I normally don't have too much of a problem passing miata's, but in this case... Thanks for facilitating the pass!

.... you pointed me by ... and kindly lifted ... I normally don't have too much of a problem passing miata's, but in this case... Thanks for facilitating the pass!

And Matt thought the Miata was a pig.

.... you pointed me by ... and kindly lifted ... I normally don't have too much of a problem passing miata's, but in this case... Thanks for facilitating the pass!

Even with the Conforti chip it's still waaaaay underpowered. But untill I can learn to REALLY drive it the way it is, I guess it would be a waste of money to upgrade to a larger engine just yet. If there's one thing I've learned so far it's that it's far more rewarding to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.

I would love to have a bigger engine, but this little 318is is so damned tossable I'd hate to mess with the weight distribution. But I'm going to have to put the six in it eventually.

Nascar bend (T3 @ VIR) is one of those places I like to play toss & catch with it. It's too damned fun!

I know how frustrating it is to be stuck behind slow cars. I tried to get as many people by as I could in the passing zones. I was giving points just after apex in turns 1,9, and 10 so that people wouldn't have to worry about losing momentum lifting.
More like a piglet. No weight, no power.
Nascar bend (T3 @ VIR) is one of those places I like to play toss & catch with it. It's too damned fun!
Try the climbing esses through south bend almost flat out with 250-300rwhp.

Listen to the guys with the engine in the wrong end.... DON'T LIFT!

I got a little chuckle from the mousy shriek right after the car landed on its roof.

More like a piglet. No weight, no power.

But on the plus side, nothing broke.

BB.

This is NOT my video, but certainly "interesting"

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure everyone in HPDE 2 got a good look at it.

Did he lift in the center of the turn?

Pretty sure... I think that's why he titled the vid "Do not lift (up & over)"

Got that part, still learning but i have seen a lot of spins in that corner. Does the new surface make it worse? or he just plain lifted to early................

Pretty sure... I think that's why he titled the vid "Do not lift (up & over)"

Got that part, still learning but i have seen a lot of spins in that corner. Does the new surface make it worse? or he just plain lifted to early................

I don't know for sure, but it looks like he went in too hot, and the car started to rotate, then he lifted & made it worse. IMO if he would have kept into the throttle and straitened his wheel a bit sooner that he would have been ok... possibly just running strait off at T5 into the grass. I could be wrong tho.