Question regarding Insurance for Vehicle Damage.

RAdMav

I have a 2 month old G37 that I would love to get on the track. It is on a lease so if it gets damaged and it isn't covered I'm stuck!. I read through the FAQ's.

So I checked with my ins. agent (State Farm) they said my car wasn't covered for track day or HPDE damage. But, I read this in the FAQ's:

Accidents:

Body damage to cars very rarely occurs, however you are encouraged to check with your insurance company regarding coverage. Most insurance companies cover damages to your car during the school (HPDE) portion of the event. Be careful if they tell that it is not covered. Agents have been wrong before. Ask them for a list of "exclusions" in YOUR policy and consult an expert.

Who is the expert I should consult? My agent said they should offer day coverage for the event. Is that available? If it is how do I get it? and how much is it? I'm looking for coverage for the unforseen mishap that causes significant damage > $1000. I've been around racing for a long time and I've seen some very strange accidents. Any insight would be helpful. Anyone have experience with State Farm? Just want some coverage for the unexpected.

Thanks in advance.

State Farm would have sent you a copy of your auto policy when you got the car insured. If you can't find it, have your agent send it again. Read the policy, that will tell you whether it is covered or not. They are a short read and in plain English. An expert in my opinion would be an attorney, but it's not necessary at this point. Just read the policy, that will give you the answer you want. If State Farm excludes HPDE, consider talking to an independent agent who can get you an auto policy that includes HPDE coverage.

Anything can happen. Mostly it comes down to how much you push it. HPDE is designed to be as safe as possible but when you are on track pushing the limits mistakes are made and bad things can happen fast.

What state are you in?

As others have said, look through the policy for exclusions such as non-coverage if running on a racing surface.

I'm in California. Are there any insurance companies who write special coverage riders? Like rental car coverage?

I knew this guy along time ago, he had a real expensive car I don't remember the details. But he was having it shipped somewhere for some reason it wasn't covered under his regular policy - I don't remember the details - I remember him telling me he talked to this company that wrote a policy that only covered his car for the number of days it was going to be gone - like a week.

There was a company that did it, but they are not accepting new clients.

http://www.snellingswalters.com/motorSport/index.php

They do have a note on the page that gives a contact name "if you are interested in this type of insurance. "

I also have State Farm and went thru the same steps you did. Even though I couldn't find a definitive exclusion, I asked an insurance guy I know and he said the agent could interpret a number of statements in the policy to their advantage to deny it. (IE - that track is not standard intended use of a regular car blah blah blah)

Bottom line in his opinion was that a lot depended on the agent.

I can tell you for certain that there was new exclusion language in my Virginia-based State Farm renewal as of Nov '07. I don't have the exact language in front of me but there was a summary-of-changes booklet that included this:

"7. There is no coverage for any vehicle while located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of competing in, or practicing or preparing for, any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest."

Call

Ryan McManus

Business Development-Motorsports

Oswald Companies

7530 Lucerne Dr., Suite 101

Middleburg Heights, OH 44130

Phone - 440.625.1443

Fax - 440.260.0218

[email protected]

He does HPDE and Time Trial Coverage. My policy went in force last Friday afternoon. I crashed Sun morning at Hyperfest and car looks totaled as of today.

Please mention Charlie Kiser

If anyone gets any info on this, please post it.

I am going to try to make contact myself. Not a huge priority for me as I have a dedicated "beater", but I would like to know what is offered and the price point.

d

"7. There is no coverage for any vehicle while located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of competing in, or practicing or preparing for, any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest."

Wow. So the way this reads, if my tow vehicle (huge Ford CrewCab diesel) is sitting next to my trailer and something stupid damages it... It's not covered because it is "located inside a facility designed for racing"? I'd have to fight this one.

While at Grattan 2 weeks ago, there were severe storms that blew through. If I was denied storm coverage because of where the truck was parked, I'd be having a nice talk with my agent and probably my lawyer.

j

UBR

Midwest AI #76

Thanks for the lead ckdc. I have emailed Mr. Mc Manus. I will update this thread as soon as I have information. Does anyone think this thread should be made sticky. It might help get alot more people interested in participating in NASA.

This will be the thing that lets me pull the trigger and get my car on the track.

I'm very interested to see how much this will be.

I'm sure this question has entered the mind of more than one person with a high performance vehicle.

Wow. So the way this reads, if my tow vehicle (huge Ford CrewCab diesel) is sitting next to my trailer and something stupid damages it... It's not covered because it is "located inside a facility designed for racing"? I'd have to fight this one.

While at Grattan 2 weeks ago, there were severe storms that blew through. If I was denied storm coverage because of where the truck was parked, I'd be having a nice talk with my agent and probably my lawyer.

j

UBR

Midwest AI #76

I interpret that as meaning there's no coverage if you are BOTH inside the racing facility AND your vehicle is there for the purpose of competition.

IANAL so YMMV.

Patrick

Email I got from Mr Mcmanus on pricing,,no info on exact coverage..

I do provide on track coverage for HPDE/on track events. I have attached the simple application that you can fill out. For the most part you can figure the premium will look like about 3% of the value of the vehicle, and the deductible will be 4% of the value of the vehicle. This % is only for an indication; sometimes the pricing can look a little different. Of course there are some surcharges for NASA events or for more than 10 events per year. If you would like some pricing, fill out the app and get back to me and I should have the price in a day or two.

Is that full coverage for the year or do you need separate coverage for driving on the road? The deductible seems reasonable for the type of coverage.

I was just talking to a friend who has a Porsche Carrera GT (Yeah the real expensive one $500,000) that he tracks occasionally. He has coverage with Allstate and is covered for HPDE and track days. I might check in to that. I can get the agent's name and number for anyone who is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been an agent for 20+ years and write and speak on motorsports coverage regularly.

My best advise:

1) Read your contract. That would be the policy. Do not read between the lines unless your ready to head to the courtroom. It's ok to listen to your agent, after all he is the trained professional, but most are trained incorrectly as to motorsports and on-track coverage. A good example is that in NC we have no exclusion for anything even close to track stuff, but if asked, 9 out of 10 agents say they is just that type of exclusion. There is not, the NC Ins. Commissioner will not allow one!

2) If your not sure, buy a HPDE product. There are several out there. I can provide you a listen of those I know about. Many insurance agents "broker" a product, few are actually offering their own. The best seem to be: K&K, expensive but very broad coverage, www.kandkinsurance.com; Lockton Affinity, cheap as it is a per event(weekend) coverage, not as broad but a good form(agreed value, etc.), www.hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com.

Bottom line is you need to figure out how much pain you can handle. HPDE's are normally safe but stuff happens. If you 20 yrs old and have a $35,000 note on your new STI, you may want to hedge your bet! If your wellheeled and drive a track only car, maybe you can take the risk.

More questions?

Let me know, happy to help!

Jeff Hall

Hall Insurance Assoc.

Spec E30/NASA-SE

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

James thank you for the post. That is exactly what I've been looking for. The premiums are reasonable and deductible are do able.

Thanks

Are we really talking about taking a LEASED car on track??? Do yourself a favor and take the HPDE premium money and buy a car you can walk away from if it is wrecked on track. This kind of activity could kill HPDE as there is no "100% safe" track event. We are not knitting afghans here. Shit happens and the other drivers on track are not expected to pay for damage to your vehicle EVEN IF THEY CAUSED IT!! I agree it is the "right" thing to do but the reality is the guy driving the honda challenge civic may not want to pay for the $5000 bumper on your Porsche GT3 because someone else checked up at the wrong spot and made everyone else test their braking.

If you have to ask for HPDE insurance coverage you cannot afford to track the car. Go buy a cheaper track car.

This is the issue, lots of guys who can barely pay for their cars want to take them on track (which I applaud) and want to feel that there are no consequences. Do you really think the leasing company won't find out about any claim?? This is a VERY bad idea.

Does anyone have any recommendations for coverage of HPDE events organized by NASA or SCCA in WV, NJ, and VA? Several of the companies mentioned so far in this thread don't cover events in those states or run by those organizations.

I'm trying to contact some others mentioned here, but I haven't heard back. Thus, I'm looking for more options.

Michael