Vroomgrrl

Track Car Shopping Update

Vroomgrrl

Well it's been a wild ride. For about a week my husband had me running all over the place looking to get into a car in the $20K range (long story why). Boy did I have some fun test driving late 80's 911s! But it was awful trying to get what I wanted on a really short deadline. Thank heavens, the $20K-range deadline deal is OFF for now.

So I'm back to the drawing board shopping for my track car. Back to the "beater" end of the spectrum. To that end, I am going to go test drive THIS BABY sometime this weekend.

The owner told me it's been his daily driver the past 9 yrs, and that the only mods from stock are polyurethane bushings in the suspension, and a cold air intake. I have no clue if those things would create issues in terms of passing tech for HPDE. But assuming it would tech out OK, something like this seems right-on for my purposes. We'll see what happens!

LMan

Poly bushings are illegal in HPDE, creates an unfair advantage "inconsistent with class philosophy."

Just kidding.

Fred Crawford

she will blow......... as in up.

Fc

Dr. Datsun

mpowers

Porsche parts would be easier to find and probably not more expensive. After having 15 Z of various years that unless it's perfect stay away. Even then that series will not make a great track car.

Inexpensive track car....I would go with GM or Ford. A lot more bang for the buck.....

mpowers

Factory Five Cobra's are nice too for low 20's

Fred Crawford

Thought about a Porsche 944 they are around kinda cheap...

Fc

Happen to have one

StraightSix

^^ Fred was thinking that same thing I was. For the same kind of money of that 280ZX, you could find a pretty decent early 944. IMO, an early 944 is a great track car.

Vroomgrrl
^^ Fred was thinking that same thing I was. For the same kind of money of that 280ZX, you could find a pretty decent early 944. IMO, an early 944 is a great track car.

For real? I've been looking & considering a 924 or 944, but I've not seen anything decent under $5K.

Fred Crawford

For real? I've been looking & considering a 924 or 944, but I've not seen anything decent under $5K.

i've got a nice one...

fc

car

laze1

Mike, are you saying the a $12K-$15K 350Z Track Model isn't a good HPDE car??? For real?

Porsche parts would be easier to find and probably not more expensive. After having 15 Z of various years that unless it's perfect stay away. Even then that series will not make a great track car.

Inexpensive track car....I would go with GM or Ford. A lot more bang for the buck.....

mpowers

Vroomgrrl

i've got a nice one...

fc

car

I'm afraid to ask.....

Vroomgrrl

So...something like this.

Falcon

i've got a nice one...

fc

car

I'm afraid to ask.....

As you should be!

I've seen it; it's not that nice!

Fred Crawford

you've never seen my 944 beaker face......

Fc

Falcon
you've never seen my 944 beaker face......

Fc

944? Is that what you're calling it now? Last I heard you were calling it "Little Buddy!" and "Lightning!"

Lemming

Go to http://44cup.zeroforum.com/

There are a couple of complete race cars for sale on the site. In the long run, it's cheaper to buy one already set up than to do it yourself. Ask me how I know.

Tim

living in the poor house

StraightSix
Go to http://44cup.zeroforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a couple of complete race cars for sale on the site. In the long run, it's cheaper to buy one already set up than to do it yourself. Ask me how I know.

Tim

living in the poor house

Yup. Depending on what your plans are you should be able to get a well prepped 944Cup car for right about $10,000. IMO, that white '84 you posted the link to is a touch expensive for an early N/A car. Check around on Rennlist or the 944 Cup site. Look at as many of them as you can stand and definitely have it checked by a good Porsche shop.

Oh, and Fred's 944 is actually a very nice car.

kbrew8991

just throw in the towel and buy a SpecE30, SpecMiata, or 944Cup car

CMC is the other other alternative if you want to kick Pete & Greg's butts, still be slow, and have nice V8 sounds to listen to

mpowers
Mike, are you saying the a $12K-$15K 350Z Track Model isn't a good HPDE car??? For real?

mpowers

Don't ask why I did not think about that, just plain did not think about it but was thinking about the older z's....

k the 350z is a great track car, used ones are inexpensive, some models have brembo brakes from the factory, 287-300hp out of the box, six speed and the best part they have as much aftermarket support as a honda civic .

Go test drive one....

mpowers

Mberglo

CMC is the other other alternative if you want to kick Pete & Greg's butts, still be slow, and have nice V8 sounds to listen to

Slow?

Sheesh. No respect. Seriously, for the money it's hard to beat a spec Miata or a CMC Mustang.

kbrew8991

maybe its the drivers

you can do SpecE30 the cheapest if you know where to buy stuff from if you insist on building. Buying is by far the easiest way to stretch your dollar though

ryan325

E30 BMW's are fun, cheap and pretty reliable. I picked mine up for just over a grand then did Spec E30 type suspension mods to it. Otherwise stock w/ 210K on it. Throw on a T-belt and run the hell out of it.

BTW - I have some Corbeau seats (2) for sale that already have E30 adjustable seat brackets on them and a 6 pt harness (1). Perfect for HPDE.

beerkat

You should look for a C5 FRC Corvette. You can find them for under $20,000 and they are a great track car as is. Put some NT01 on it with some Carbotech race pads and your set to go. Most parts are easy to come by and are not that expensive. Car is easy to work on.

Fred Crawford
You should look for a C5 FRC Corvette. You can find them for under $20,000 and they are a great track car as is. Put some NT01 on it with some Carbotech race pads and your set to go. Most parts are easy to come by and are not that expensive. Car is easy to work on.

Dang,,,,, your putting her in the losers circle right off the bat...

Fc

Porsche

Mike Simard

What about a Porsche with a honkin' V8?

A 928!

They're beyond the point of being cheap, you'll probably get paid just to take one.

You can have a rigid chassis with unequal control arms front and rear, good tire capacity, good power and weight balance. They are very well designed with features like aluminum hood, fenders and doors. They are hard to find in a manual though.

Here are 2 examples that I own:

An '87. the later 32 valve engine and body, 316hp, 3500 lb. I found a desirably optioned low mileage car in exceptional condition for 15k. It often gets some old Hoosiers slapped on and goes to the track, with no other mods it can turn fast laps and is trouble free. Easy to drive fast even on a tight course.

A '79. A forgotten non-runner that sat for years. $1500 bought it and a year's time along with a gazillion more dollars turned it into a really good proper track car. Even the lowly, smaller early 2 valve engine makes for a strong car by the time all the non essential stuff is jetisoned. Examples of these early cars going for a few thou are common but be prepared to replace everything plastic or rubber just like anything of that age .

beerkat
Dang,,,,, your putting her in the losers circle right off the bat...Fc Porsche

Well it is better than riding around in a green lawnmower!

Kr Power to Weight.