Will this cracked windshield pass tech?

edhunter

Like a dumb*ss I cracked my windshield last light putting the trim back on.... it didn't want to snap into place, so I hit it with the heel of my hand. So now I have this nice crack from the windshield clip down toward the base. VIR is at the end of the month, I have have alot to do before then getting this car ready. So if I don't have to replace the windshield before hand, then I'll wait until afterwards. This is a track only car, so considering going with lexan. But I don't want to get to the track and they say "no"... It's not in my field of vision, and found nothing in the CCR about cracked windshields....

IMG_0269.jpg

I see smashed windshields on a lot of race cars. I don't think it's an issue unless it truly obstructs your view. I'm not a tech inspector or rule maker, so I'm really just guessing that it's fine.

Nice Mustang! For racing the tech inspectors would definitely notice and possibly take action...for HPDE I'm not sure...post this in the 'Ask A Question' spot and in the MidAtlantic area as well and see if you get any bites.

See you at VIR!

JD

Typically the crack has to be in the field of vision to fail tech. Sometimes a crack starts at the bottom and then moves right/left and crawls into the area in front of the driver. As this sucker has already run its path it would probably pass. We sometimes push on the windshield to see if it oilcans at all and the small corner would not move that much (guessing here).

Definitely contact your local regional tech dude before you go. What a bummer to get there and have 'em say you couldn't run . . .

Just my 2c.

• 4 weeks later...

Ed,

No mention of this at the track when I spoke to you. How did it work out? Did you get a free pass for the weekend or does it have new glass?

Hey colin, I was able to get a new glass installed the thursday evening before leaving to vir Friday... figured it was worth the $165 to not have to worrry about it.... Had a great time (!), learned alot, had a very good instructor who pushed me hard, and looking forward to the next one!

Are you on the roster for the August Summit event?

You coming out for breakfast this saturday?

Let me know if you have any questions. (email, phone, what ever)