Data Aquisition Systems

J Smith

Quick question from a new guy: I've been reading up on rules for NASA (I'm planning on the comp. school at VIR and hopefully get my first races in that weekend), and noticed the rule about data aquisition systems:

18.7 Data Acquisition Systems

This section applies to all classes, unless otherwise specified by class rules. All data

acquisition systems are prohibited except for NASA approved systems and drivertraining

programs. No data acquisition system may be used in testing, practice, warmup,

street driving, or racing (with NASA or any other sanctioning body). No brackets,

sensors, or mounting hardware for data acquisition systems are permitted. Violation of

this rule is considered to be a violation of the intent of the series. Anyone caught in

violation of this rule will be subject to permanent ejection from this series. The following

systems are approved for use:

G Analyst

Hot Lap Timer

Hot Lap Performance Monitor

Intercomp Lap Timer

My Chron Light

My Chron 2

My Chron 3

My Chron 3+

My Chron 3 Gold

TachMate 5-Input system

DL-90 Data Logger

GTech Pro SS

GTech Pro RR

Is this enforced? I'm not sure I understand why they wouldn't be allowed, but I'm a new guy so my confusion is expected I guess. The reason I'm asking is I use a G2X (not on the approved list ), and have the display set up as my dash (the most important part are the shift lights). Is this something I'll have to remove before racing? I can't imagine what benefit a data system would give a driver during a race?

TIA

• Members

Wow... I didnt even know this rule existed!

Id like to know also as I am saving for an AIM Pista setup.

Edit: Wait a min... are you looking at old rules? I just looked up 2008 CCR and it says:

"18.7 Data Acquisition Systems

This section applies to all classes, unless otherwise specified by class rules. Data

acquisition is unrestricted. Telemetry is not allowed. Telemetry is the transmission of

data by means of a radio signal. Transmission of voice and/ or video is permitted. Note-

Class rules supersede all sections of the CCR, including this one."

GTS rules allow for any data aquisition.

CCR:

"This section applies to all classes, unless otherwise specified by class rules."

GTS rules:

4.0 Car Modifications

Any modification is allowed as long as the car meets all NASA safety regulations.

....COOL!

I was getting scared there for a moment.

Looks like I can leave everything in then!

idiot_351.jpg

Damon in STL