What kind of tape is safe to use on the car??

rmani

What tape do you use to tape your headlights and also to put the number on the side of your car? thanks

blue painters tape from the Home Depot or similar. It really is called Painters Tape.

-c

What tape do you use to tape your headlights and also to put the number on the side of your car? thanks

blue painters tape from the Home Depot or similar. It really is called Painters Tape.

-c

What if you've got a blue car?

63636588.jpg

-c

What if you've got a blue car?

63636588.jpg

if you have that car

6665335071915011009.pre-resized200.jpg

lol

-c

Racer's tape, available from many on-line race suppliers, costs the same as the blus painter's tape. Better color assortment, though, plus it is a vinyl tape.

Apply paste wax, tape, buff off excess wax.

Makes for easier removal of tape after event.

• 4 weeks later...

Masking tape from Home Depot is fine for headlight protection, but can look cheesy when trying to write numbers on the car. Most people will choose easy numbers with straight lines and minimum "curves" such as 1, 4, 7 but after having to change my number because it was duplicated by someone else, I tried a couple different methods.

First I tried printing uncommon numbers on 8.5" x 11" sheets of paper and taping it to the car. Although it worked ok, I decided to purchase a magnetic number plate with a very uncommon number (642). The plate was significantly larger than sheets of paper and more durable. With a little tape to seal the edges, this ended up to be the easiest and most effective way to put numbers on my HPDE vehicle.

There are photos on this site: http://www.geocities.com/krazilee/LeesRide.html

Dont you have the issue with magnets flying off at speed? I have quite a few magnetic numbers I use for autocross, but was suggested that I dont use them for HPDE because they would fly off.

A couple small pieces of tape on the leading edge keeps them from lifting at speed. I think I've lost one in about 7000 track miles. That's when I started adding the leading edge tape.

Dont you have the issue with magnets flying off at speed? I have quite a few magnetic numbers I use for autocross, but was suggested that I dont use them for HPDE because they would fly off.

Never been a problem for me. I've had them on while hitting 130 mph. YMMV.

Yes. This past weekend at Summit I had my homemade mag numbers RIP in half where the tape was holding them on. I'm just going to have to break down and pony up the $120 or so for real mag numbers. I've probably spent that much thus far in crappy mag sheets, printer ink and contact paper!

--chad

Yes. This past weekend at Summit I had my homemade mag numbers RIP in half where the tape was holding them on. I'm just going to have to break down and pony up the $120 or so for real mag numbers. I've probably spent that much thus far in crappy mag sheets, printer ink and contact paper!

--chad

$120 is way too much. You should be able to get them for less than half that.

I've probably spent that much thus far in crappy mag sheets, printer ink and contact paper!

--chad

Wow, I've been using the same homemade numbers for 2 years. Before the 10" rule kicked in I used individually cut #s (only lost one of those when a friend put one too far forward across the hood curve). Now I use numbers printed on clear contact paper ($1 a sheet) stuck to a thin mag sheet from a craft store, covered in clear packing tape for waterproofing. The mag sheet is 2'x4' for about $4. The clear tape probably strengthens the whole mess as well. I only use a tiny piece of racer tape at the top, middle and bottom of the leading edge to keep it from lifting, no way it'll rip. I use the same pieces over and over, fresh tape sticks too well to the car. BTW, top speeds are usually in the 120s.

Were you number 00 or 55?

I've probably spent that much thus far in crappy mag sheets, printer ink and contact paper!

--chad

Wow, I've been using the same homemade numbers for 2 years. Before the 10" rule kicked in I used individually cut #s (only lost one of those when a friend put one too far forward across the hood curve). Now I use numbers printed on clear contact paper ($1 a sheet) stuck to a thin mag sheet from a craft store, covered in clear packing tape for waterproofing. The mag sheet is 2'x4' for about $4. The clear tape probably strengthens the whole mess as well. I only use a tiny piece of racer tape at the top, middle and bottom of the leading edge to keep it from lifting, no way it'll rip. I use the same pieces over and over, fresh tape sticks too well to the car. BTW, top speeds are usually in the 120s.

Were you number 00 or 55?

haha, 00

Voodoo, I would get an entire set 0-9 x2, that way I have my numbers for autocross as well.

--chad

I happen to be one of those "On-Line" suppliers mentioned above...

The ISC racers tape is what I carry.

The tape comes in 180Ft roles and is not much money. I find that you don’t normally need to wax the car. The tape is specifically made not to leave adhesive on the auto's paint.

Some one was talking about taping leading edges...

Since most of our HPDE cars are daily drivers, it might be a good idea to get a roll of "leading Edge Tape". This will cut down on those pesky (some times not so little) paint chips you get from small rocks at speed.

A roll cost $22.00 aprox. Better than a $500.00 paint job. lol.

Ill make you guys a deal... buy a helmet and I'll throw 30' roll of tape in for free

Of course buying an open faced M2000 helmet for $54.95 to get a $5.00 roll of tape for free? hmmm....

But I'm in business to sell stuff. Can't blame me throwing that in!

Oh yes don't forget you get 15% off if you are a NASA member!

Happy racing!

Of course buying an open faced M2000 helmet for $54.95 to get a $5.00 roll of tape for free? hmmm....

But I'm in business to sell stuff. Can't blame me throwing that in!

Oh yes don't forget you get 15% off if you are a NASA member!

Happy racing!

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw a spray on paint that peels off like a vynyl letter. All you would need is a cardboard stensile of your number and a can of this paint. I saw it at the local Advance Auto Parts, and thought of you HPDE'ers. I forget the name, but will get back to you with it.

I just saw a spray on paint that peels off like a vynyl letter. All you would need is a cardboard stensile of your number and a can of this paint. I saw it at the local Advance Auto Parts, and thought of you HPDE'ers. I forget the name, but will get back to you with it.

that would scare the crap out of me the first time I tried it but it would rock...

--chad

I'll try it on my beater truck first.

I like to keep it simple. Contact shelf paper, 4 bux a roll at Wally-Mart.

Been running this stuff for years, in all kindsa weather and speeds.

SP_in_the_rain_k_2_a-758x326.jpg

These numbers have been on the car for almost two years.

well, I bought some. it doesn't peal off like vinyl, you have to wash it off. I'm going to try it at Summit Point this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it turns out

--chad