HPDE tech or Race tech?

Swede_Speed

I have a car that I'm slowly prepping for 944 Spec as I work my way through HPDE ranks. I've been running it in HPDE using stock safety stuff, but before my next scheduled session I'll have a new DOM Autopower 6pt bolt-in cage w/appropriate padding installed, along with racing seats and harnesses. If I understand correctly, since I've modified them from stock those items must now meet the CCR standards, but do I still use the HPDE tech form or do I now have to use the Race tech form?

I'm in the same boat, and have been using the HPDE form with no problems. (Although I have an Autopower 4-pt bolt-in bar w/ harness bar & diagonal instead of a 6-pt cage). But I do have the fixed back seats, and 6-pt harnesses.

I have a car that I'm slowly prepping for 944 Spec as I work my way through HPDE ranks. I've been running it in HPDE using stock safety stuff, but before my next scheduled session I'll have a new DOM Autopower 6pt bolt-in cage w/appropriate padding installed, along with racing seats and harnesses. If I understand correctly, since I've modified them from stock those items must now meet the CCR standards, but do I still use the HPDE tech form or do I now have to use the Race tech form?

School tech form is appropriate for HPDE but please bear in mind that changing from stock equipment will change the "Safety System" in the car, hence the requirement to comply with the CCR.

Same here, I use both check lists and I took it through race tech, which you don't need to do for hpde but I wanted to know. Since race tech I just do the hpde tech list and have had no problems as I have not changed anything on the car.

HPDE car = HPDE tech, doesn't matter if you're in your sisters DX or one of Mikey's old F2004's.

BUT, you will be held to the CCRs of you cage it and add a seat. If it's in the rules, you have to conform to it, doesn't matter if it's on the HPDE tech sheet or not.

Also a warning, we (tech cheifs and volunteers) know what we're looking for, some nerds can even cite code from memory. Be sure to read up (multiple times) and have your ducks in a row!

Thanks for the replies. I'm still confused though.

If I use a race tech form, I WILL fail on other things I haven't upgraded yet. So, since the HPDE form doesn't have a category for cage, etc should I just have my tech shop write it into the comments section that the cage/seats/harnesses are up to CCR? I'm not even sure if he can do race tech.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, I just don't want to wait until the last minute and do a race tech inspection at the track where I can't correct mistakes. Plus, I'd hate to be in the staging area with my HPDE form under my wiper and get called out for trying to get away with something.

^^^^^ what he said.

how are the seats mounted/ seat back brace?.... I went through race tech and just had a brace on the driver seat and not on the pass seat but because it was a DE the inspector said it was up to the instructor but I have not had any problems. just as long as the cage seats and harness is installed per CCR and manufacture specs everything is tight and in good condition you should not have any problems. Just think of it this way: would you let someone take your kid or your significant other for a ride in your car on track at speed knowing that everything is installed and is safe???

I run in HPDE. My car has a half cage (does not extend in front of the seat backs) FIA approved OMP seat and five point harnesses for both driver and passenger. I have been using HPDE tech forms and going through HPDE tech and have not had any issues raised by the inspectors.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but since we are talking about tech.....If my car is being used for a hyperdrive(My dad)as well as DE (me), on sat do I need a separate tech form and do I need to go to the tech shed sat morn?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but since we are talking about tech.....If my car is being used for a hyperdrive(My dad)as well as DE (me), on sat do I need a separate tech form and do I need to go to the tech shed sat morn?

The car will already be teched, so it will not need to go again.

thanks sean,

one more question does VIR allow you to drive some of the roads like going up to the south paddock for things like bedding pads ect...... Funny question to ask for a car in DE but mine is not street legal.

thanks sean,

one more question does VIR allow you to drive some of the roads like going up to the south paddock for things like bedding pads ect...... Funny question to ask for a car in DE but mine is not street legal.

No, not really...If you go ripping past the admin building, we WILL hear about it.

Ok, thanks. I'll take it for HPDE tech as usual, just far enough ahead of time to make corrections if needed.

Hey Jeff, that you?

Just for reference, HPDE = HPDE TECH as stated above.

Just make sure that any race mods you have installed all conform to CCR requirements for the 944 class racing.

Let me know if you need a hand with the cage install. I'm in south Chandler. Also, I have some 944 race parts leftover from my build you might be able to use. Save you some money if I can.

Later,

Dean - red #28

480-251-3165

thanks sean,

No, not really...If you go ripping past the admin building, we WILL hear about it.

Sean, could have PMd (But that feature is not working for me) you on the driving on the surrounding roads at VIR, If kept at the posted speed limit and used maturity and restraint would it be frowned upon

Also My Dad is driving my car in Hyper drive sat morn right in the middle of my DE1 second morn class. Who would I talk to to see If I could be a little late so I could watch him and help get buckled in on grid, ya know it's his first time on a track so I wanted to be there.

thanks sean,

Sean, could have PMd (But that feature is not working for me) you on the driving on the surrounding roads at VIR, If kept at the posted speed limit and used maturity and restraint would it be frowned upon

Also My Dad is driving my car in Hyper drive sat morn right in the middle of my DE1 second morn class. Who would I talk to to see If I could be a little late so I could watch him and help get buckled in on grid, ya know it's his first time on a track so I wanted to be there.

Race cars out of the paddock may cause someone to take notice but keeping within the posted speed limits and making sure it isn't an ear bleeding exhaust sure would go a long way to not become the focus of Track Management.

You will need to clear the classroom issue with Dan Unkefer.

FYI,

I got about 8 PM's that said they were removed by the author......

Thanks. Just talked with Laura Cobetto about the class room thing. She called me to ask if I wanted to move up to DE2 since this would be my 4th time with NASA MID AT. I think I should move up how different is it? It would certainly help with my schedual conflict, But that is not the reason to move up. Should I stay or should I go?

Thanks. Just talked with Laura Cobetto about the class room thing. She called me to ask if I wanted to move up to DE2 since this would be my 4th time with NASA MID AT. I think I should move up how different is it? It would certainly help with my schedual conflict, But that is not the reason to move up. Should I stay or should I go?
Look in your HPDE passport, see if you have all 1-2's for the skills listed, that is a clue that your skill set is ready for the move to the next skill set.

As mentioned in the other thread, HPDE2 will have drivers that all have several track weekends under the belt and should be more consistent and predictable. There are plenty of fast cars/drivers in HPDE2 so you should be aware of what is coming up behind you, and not get flustered by a car on your tail in the non passing areas. VIR has some long straights so there is plenty of room to let the faster cars go by. We don't 'tell' students when to move up, it is when they feel comfortable and have the 1-2's for all the skills.