2008 Nationals - How does it progress?

Bueller

I have never been to Mid-O, and have never been to Nationals. This is going to be my first year there, cant wait! I have already been told many times that in those regions TTA is better known as Spec C5 Z06. And basically no one else has much of a chance. Besides that, how do the days/sessions progress? From what i have understood, Nationals starts on Thursday September 11, and ends on Sunday September 14. Apparently, the TT days are limited to Thursday-Saturday? Is Thursday a practice day, or does Thursday count also? If Thursday is just a practice day, is it open to all groups? Basically, how do all 3 days unfold usually?

I also found out that Mid-O has their own open test day going on the few days before Nationals. That all apparently starts on Monday September 8, and ends Wednesday September 10. And if i want to run any of those days i have to pay extra.

Thanks

the 2nd and 3rd sessions of each TT day are scored, and we don't run on Sunday... so you've got 6 shots to get it right without throwing it away with an off/spin

the 2nd and 3rd sessions of each TT day are scored, and we don't run on Sunday... so you've got 6 shots to get it right without throwing it away with an off/spin

The 2nd and 3rd sessions of which 2 days are scored? Friday and Saturday? So then what about Thursday? Is Thursday only a practice day? How is Thursday ran?

I must have been really tired when i responded last night. So, session 2-3 are scored from Thursday, Friday, and Saturday? Hmm, i was under the impression that Thursday was a practice day? And someone else told me that we only get 3 sessions a day?

you can use Thurs for a practice, just stay out of the competitors way

06 & 07 ran as described above... I'd wager 08 will be the same

Thursday is a practice day for everone except TT, hell last year the winning TTA lap was run in the 1st counted session on Thursday.

If the rumors are true and the Cali guys are as fast as I hear, you can run justv the second session on Thursday then head home.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

First Nationals trip here, I'm signed up for Time Trials. What is the non-race schedule like for TT? I see that a driver's meeting is scheduled for 7:30AM on Thursday morning. When and where do I tech? Do I have to register/sign in at the event? Will there be enough paddock space for me to change my tires? Where do I get my rented transponder? Anything else I should know?

I need about an hour total to unload, prep the car, and swap tires. I'm trying to skip as little work as possible, will I be able to take care of everything on Thursday morning? Or do I need to arrive on Wednesday? If so, when and to do what?

Thanks in advance for the help guys. I'm trying to avoid the experience I had at my first out-of-town regional event, where I was scrambling to get everything done before the first session!

EDIT: Just had another thought. Our region seems to have been pretty relaxed about numbers and class letters for TT this year, basically just requiring the car to be easily identified and not nitpicking on the exact size or location. What are the rules that are going to be enforced at Nationals? If I need to pick up something like the smaller letters/numbers for the rear of the car, will they be selling these there?

First Nationals trip here, I'm signed up for Time Trials. What is the non-race schedule like for TT? I see that a driver's meeting is scheduled for 7:30AM on Thursday morning. When and where do I tech? Do I have to register/sign in at the event? Will there be enough paddock space for me to change my tires? Where do I get my rented transponder? Anything else I should know?

Schedule is located here.

Tech is located at the tech shed - ask/look for it when you arrive.

Yes, you must sign in at the gate before you actually enter the track.

Yes, there is plenty of paddock/pit space to change tires - the grassy area is free to all competitors.

Ask for transponder information at registration when you check in.

I need about an hour total to unload, prep the car, and swap tires. I'm trying to skip as little work as possible, will I be able to take care of everything on Thursday morning? Or do I need to arrive on Wednesday? If so, when and to do what?

It's all up to you - if you get to the track early enough, and you're quick and changing tires, it can be done Thursday morning.

What are the rules that are going to be enforced at Nationals?

Simple - the rules in the rule book will be enforced.

Although I'm not involved in TT, but will be the Race Director for the Group A, consider this - it's a National event, with a National title and money on the line.

As such, have all your ducks in a row and come to the Nats 100% prepared so there is no way a competitor or series director can find a way to protest something on your car. I'm not saying it will happen, nor am I saying it won't happen - the reality is if you don't adhere to the rule book, it can happen.

Good luck - and have fun!

• National Staff
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for the help guys. I'm trying to avoid the experience I had at my first out-of-town regional event, where I was scrambling to get everything done before the first session!

EDIT: Just had another thought. Our region seems to have been pretty relaxed about numbers and class letters for TT this year, basically just requiring the car to be easily identified and not nitpicking on the exact size or location. What are the rules that are going to be enforced at Nationals? If I need to pick up something like the smaller letters/numbers for the rear of the car, will they be selling these there?

You will probably need to get yourself to tech at 7am on Thursday so that you will make sure you are not late for the 7:30 meeting. Your group doesn't go out until 9:35am on Thursday, but it would be best not to need to rush yourself.

Of course you will need to follow ALL of the TT Rules. Make sure that your car is 100% legal, that your Car Classification Form is completed correctly, and that all other rules are followed, including car number and letter markings. I do not know if Continental Motorsports or other vendors will be able to make or sell you numbers/letters. There is a good chance that someone will be there selling them, but unless you can find out for certain, you should get them beforehand.

I've seen the schedule, it's the things that aren't on it that I'm finding questions about.

Yes, you must sign in at the gate before you actually enter the track.

Yes, there is plenty of paddock/pit space to change tires - the grassy area is free to all competitors.

Ask for transponder information at registration when you check in.

So is signing in at the gate registration? Do I get my transponder at the gate? Or are those separate?

Is the "grassy area" firm enough to support a jack?

Simple - the rules in the rule book will be enforced.

Good, that's the easy way to do it

Good luck - and have fun!

I will!

You will probably need to get yourself to tech at 7am on Thursday so that you will make sure you are not late for the 7:30 meeting. Your group doesn't go out until 9:35am on Thursday, but it would be best not to need to rush yourself.

I thought I read somewhere that the gates open at 7am, so how could I do that? Am I misinformed about the opening time?

Also, any tips on how to beat the two time TTC champion at his own game?

Thanks Greg!

• National Staff

I'm not sure about the transponders. You will have to ask at Registration when you get here.

You will need wood to support a jack or jackstands, especially if it rains.

I hope you came today, because it looks like the event regs state that registration doesn't open until 7:30 on Thursday, and you will likely need your credentials to get in. We were able to just sign in w/o credentials on Tues and Wed am.

I have found that the best way to go fast is to drop your tire pressures really low, like to about 10 psi. Let me know how that works out for you