lbre75

NASA SE Region-Any Legends Racers?

lbre75

Hi,

Am thinking of getting back into racing and wanted to see how many competitors with Legends Cars frequent the NASA SE races? I previously had a Legends Car, but had to sell it over a year ago right after I had converted it to an SCCA legal car. Wish I could have gotten to at least drove it once. May go up to Road Atlanta in the next week or two for the NASA races to see if any Legends are there racing. Thanks,LB

sweaver

I recall seeing 2 Legends cars at one of the CMP events last year. Hope this hlps.

Rob O

There is one for sale in GA right now. Race ready! Look for his thread here on the boards. I've only been to 3 or 4 events for DE but I have seen a few of these cars on track.

CHR

Oh yea theres on running NASA-SE...oh thats me:

Weed Wacker

Legends cars are amazing drivers cars. Since they also happen to be extremely cool even one showing up will almost guarantee another soon. We started in the MW with 1-2 and are now looking at 6! Not to mention 4 thunder roadsters also. We all run STR-2 in the MW so we can race all together in one class.

Oh yea theres on running NASA-SE...oh thats me:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You/Your car are so much smoother and more composed than me! i am almost never that straight coming out of corners!

This isnt from SE since im in the Midwest but im still rockin a legends car!

Camera car is a CMC trans am/firebird. My dad spins his thunder roadster about 50 seconds in and i show up shortly after.

CHR

Thanks, I am running Goodyear tires. Spec tires ar too unsafe. That was awesome. You can see more of my video on youtube under Circle Heart Racing. Sure wish you guys would come to NASA-SE and race with us

Weed Wacker

Trying to convince the group we need to take a ride to Road Atlanta this coming year.

We all run Baby Grand spec goodyear slicks. There is a local dealer that sells them for $30 a piece and they rock. Especially for the price!

CHR

Maybe we can do a NASA-SE at CMP

Weed Wacker

CMP looks like a fun one also, but Road Atlanta is one of those "bucket list" type tracks. We typically make an annual trip to Sebring in the area of february so the drive is not the issue. Its the slow past year and a half money-wise that is the issue. Only time will tell what we do...

alire007

Looking to find and race a Thunder Roadster with the PBOC here in Florida. Any tips, thoughts or Ideas before I make the purchase? I'm looking at one thats had 6 roundy round races, liquid cooled, new body style for 10k...

Darrel
Looking to find and race a Thunder Roadster with the PBOC here in Florida. Any tips, thoughts or Ideas before I make the purchase? I'm looking at one thats had 6 roundy round races, liquid cooled, new body style for 10k...

10k for a water colled engine and only 6 races is a bargin if it has not been wreakand frame bent. When you get it come up to NASA Southeast and run with us. we are buildinh a Thunder Raodster racing group and would welcome you. We had 3 of us a CMP last month and I know there will be some at RA next week.

Darrel

#61 Thunder Roadster

Weed Wacker

10k for a basically new thunder roadster is a steal and a half! Jump on that quickly if its in decent shape. The new body style is pretty cool too.

Typical trouble spots (copied from a previous thread asking a very similar question)

Here is a few things we've learned over the years:

-Our cars have all gone to the 600 racing water-cooled set-up. As the yamaha gets too hot it looses power, the water-cooling eliminates this.

-We run the STR-2 class with nasa as it allows room to grow (aka we are allowed to swap motors, mess with the suspension, experiment with aero, run better tires, bigger gas tank for enduros etc).

-Don't know what the 600 racing road course package has outside of body work, all of our cars but one (which has the road race body) are oval cars with different spring rates and tires.

-EVERY rearend attachment point should be reinforced; aka double shear and/or gusseted.

-If you run the yamaha it is a smart idea to make sure the transmission has back-cut gears in it.

-Run the top-end oiler and pinned cams if you don't already.

-Look into a thunder cup oil system (they have a different hose/oil cooler/oil filter set up than normal tr's). While not totally mandatory, its good insurance.

-Run a large oil cooler if you dont already

We make the annual drive to florida every winter to run against some other Thunder Roadsters that run pboc. Great group of guys for sure! Last year was Daytona and years past has been Sebring. They said they run NASA FL as well sometimes. There are 2 others that i know of outside of Tinker's group (the ones that run pboc) in florida also that are both NASA FL racers. Hopefully you guys can get in touch and grow as a group even further!

alire007

Not to over analyze but is there a better ( by better I mean "larger class" or "more competitive class") to run in the $10k-15k price range? My only condition is that it can't be a miata... I Think the TR is good looking and I like the idea of passing more expensive cars with the TR

On my list is the Spec Ford Racer and an older 911 (I'm kinda flexible on the price range...)

Also, A buddy I will be running with has a sweet new ford challenge (FR500S) series car and I wonder if the TR would be faster, slower or even?

It has 325 hp and weighs 3600 lbs fully loaded.

Any thoughts?

My last question is has anyone run or run against the TR with the Hyabusa power plant? What are your thoughts and how much faster would the extra HP make the car?

Thanks

Eric

Weed Wacker

Also from that earlier thread.

-We have one busa car that we used to run, super fast car that ran just over 2 years on the first motor that was pulled straight from a bike and bolted in the car, not even torn down first. The idea was to test it out and once it broke we would go through it. It never broke! Once we started trying to set the world on fire (think 200 whp range) though, stuff started breaking. The owner then lost interest and went back to yamaha power. We will be re-visiting suzuki power possibly this winter though with another car.

P.S. dont read that as sarcasm because its not. Just showing that there is some interest in your similar idea

Also, this car is faster than a Spec Racer Ford by a little bit in the trim we run 'em. Which is all stock except we run 225/45-15 Hoosier R6's

We ran slightly slower than the faster Mustang Challenge guys when they ran Putnam in '08

With a Busa in the car and the right set-up, these cars run about 2-3 secs faster on a decently technical 2 mile track. Thats stock liquid-cooled yamaha to a stock Busa

alire007

So is it better to try to play with the liquid cooled yamaha (possibly try to turbo it?) or go with an engine swap to the turbo busa? I was thinking the 300 hp (eventually) in this car would be bad ass! I figure that with a little aero mods it would even go down the back strait at a good clip with the extra power.

It has to be frustrating to give everything up on the straits when any monkey can smash the go pedal...

Also I see busa engines in the 2k range (non turbo), do they bolt right in or is there lots of mods needed?

Again What type of things were breaking on the TR once you hit 200 hp?

The reason I was thinking 300 hp as a goal is to try to mimic ariel atom specs on the cheap...

Weed Wacker

As far as what class you would be in depends on how you intend to run the car. We run them in STR-2 here in the midwest so our cars are allowed basically anything provided we follow the adjusted power to weight rules.

For big power i would say the Busa (or any other late model big-bore bike motor) is the way to go. A yamaha has no real cooling in the head even in liquid-cooled form. Its just a different sleeve with water running around it. With boost the head temp would skyrocket, and with no cooling other than the oil flinging around seems like a bad situation for longevity to me.

To mount one up you need to make yourself a set of mounts for it. It was pretty easy to do, we just drilled some holes in two aluminum plates and bolted it in.

It would seem frustrating from the outside looking in to give up everything in the straights. It really isn't though, we look at it as they give up everything in the corners instead. It actually quite funny to get passed 3/4 down a straight away and then watch them get crossed up because they missed their mile-long braking point because you were still wide open!

With 200whp we started breaking transmissions and driveshafts. Our car was still naturally aspirated though which would be harder on parts than a turbo set-up. Also this depends on how you drive. The guy that drove the Busa car still used the clutch to shift. This is like hitting the transmission with a sledge-hammer every time you shift. He also did not rev-match downshifts, again not helping at all. These things were bad on stock motors but terrible on that big one. Coming out of corners the yokes would brake under the load after they were loosened up considerably from these practices. Transmissions would just stop going into gears or would break dog teeth off and destroy everything inside.

You could get atom power, but remember, this is still a solid axle car and the front suspension is also not as refined. This car will be super fun, easy to work on, much cheaper than that car and will suprise you and many others with its capabilities. That said it comes down to how close to "atom spec" you intend to be. This can give you the fun, wind-in-your-face rush, giant stomping abilities that the atom can, at a fraction of the cost. It just does not have all the same technology suspension-wise.

Hope this helps, I tried to be thourough.

alire007

Awesome! Thanks!

I guess the first step it to go get my TR and race it awhile in stock form here in the South East and keep my eyes open for a Busa deal...

I have an RV and we do plan on traveling this coming summer. Where do you guys race? I could always make a pit stop on my upcoming Florida to Colorado trip (I'm sure the wife would love that)...

Thanks again for your help, TR here I come!

racerrad8
Looking to find and race a Thunder Roadster with the PBOC here in Florida.

Here is a car running in Florida....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck, Randy

Weed Wacker

^^^ Thats one of the guys that we run with when we take a trip to florida ^^^

Here is a crappy clip of one of our cars at the Daytona race last year. This is a yamaha powered one that my dad drives.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We typically run all the NASA Midwest races during the normal season. If your passing through for sure stop by! It's always cool to meet someone else into these cars! And if you need any help feel free to ask. We've been running these cars for a while and have seen/done/fixed a lot with them.

CHR

Mods are great. My crew chief designed a sway bar for my legends.

Weed Wacker

How did that work out for you? We are planning on building one for our one Thunder Roadster that we test stuff on. Its running 500#-600# front springs and we are trying to get away from that.

BigKeyserSoze

A 500# spring on a TR? Man. You guys do things different. I think I have a 300 in the front and 225 in the rear. I have a ThunderCup body and run the car with NASA and PBOC in Florida, with a bone stock water cooled Yamaha powerplant. Goes 2.32 at Sebring, 2:17 at Daytona, 2:16 at VIR, 1:41 at Road Atlanta.

-Scott

Weed Wacker

We run the oval car with a bone stock water-cooled yamaha with 225/45-15 Hoosier R6's. I also dont think we have 225's in the back, i think they are lower. 175 maybe? I'm going to be back by the car this coming weekend so i can double-check, I remember the front because we just kept adding spring and the car kept getting faster. Till we ran out of heavier springs to put in it at 500!

When we went to Daytona i think we ran like low 2:15's or high 2:14's. I can't remember. I know we were atleast around 2:34's at Sebring... Might have been faster or slower but thats close... It's been so long since we ran there. I could check the MyLaps tomorrow. If you want to look for Mike Piecko. We usually ran PBOC's winterfest deal against tinker and his buddies. At daytona we had a close race between us and the black and yellow car, his name is Rick im pretty sure.

CHR

i think we run 300 & 225. The sway bar works great in the corners keeping the car planted better

BigKeyserSoze

No chance a stock water cooled Yamaha went 2:14 at Daytona. I drove the tar out of mine and it went 2:17 once, and I don't think anything was being left on the table. This was on a hot day. the 2:32 at Sebring was in the dead of summer. I think there is another second or two in some cold, dense air.

I generally run with Tinker and his crew. Rick is a regular in the yellow/black Thundercup. That car, like most others, is busa powered. I have the only water cooled Yamaha being raced in Florida, I believe.

-Scott