• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fred Crawford

• 2k2s2k

• kbrew8991

• Falcon

Thanks Ken, all advice is much appreciated.

Let me explain how I saw it, and then MAYBE my actions will make a little more sense. Coming out of 10b, I saw fluid coming out the back of his car. Coming down the hill I saw him have a couple decent wiggles(back end), still with fluid coming out his left rear. I thought he was sliding on his fluid(learned afterward he had a flat), and would try to keep it straight if he saw us closing fast. I also assumed he would see me going inside and stay far left. With that said, I was trying to slow enough that I could safely get around him, without lifting too much and spinning myself or letting MP by(right on my tail). I didn't go wide because I figured his momentum would take him that way if he had spun. The throttle was me trying to keep the back end gripping as I realized what room I thought I was going to have was moving farther and farther right. Well, needless to say it didn't work out. And, now that I've really looked at the video, I have to take the blame. It looks like I lost the back end and actually hit him(Panoz) with it, rather than him clipping me.

wow, that was bad. I dont know that I would blame anybody for that, if you had lifted sooner the car would have likely spun going into the turn. I know the feeling and how the drive home can suck after having an incident like that, not knowing if you could have done something different. Let me know if you need some help getting things back together.

yes, but where are you to go once you are committed to the turn? He could have left you more room, but obviously left you the required car width. I have video but i dont think it will show much besides the cars spinning and dust flying, you were just out of frame when things started.

Holy Poop! Good to hear you're alright. BTW, why were you racing in the Thunder class this weekend? I thought you normally run in Lightning.

I wonder if the wheel off at 10B track out was what flattened the tire? The car didn't look squirrely until after that.

That was my suspicion too, Jody. I put tires off there several times over the weekend and something up there gave me a pretty good hit a couple of times.

Glad nobody was hurt, that's a heck of a shot! I agree with other posters too, once you were committed, there wasn't much you could do to avoid the hit. I didn't see your car afterwards, I hope it's repairable.

Keith Andrews

Looked like a really hard hit glad to hear you are ok.

You were in a really tuff spot, if you lift you spin if you pinch the turn you loose the back end. I'm not real sure why the Panoz would drive toward the center of the track, big if, the car was under his control. The time for you to slow would have been going down the hill and it looked like there were a number of cars close behind you. If you check up there who knows what happens. That was a tight spot. Hope it is all rebuildable.

Lucid Moments

I heard about this after the fact. Damn Google video being blocked at work anyway. Glad to hear you are okay.

Have you had a chance to assess the damage yet? You going to be able to run again this year?

Matt, since I was behind you and had a better view, I can say he tapped you around. Your second guessing yourself trying to replay the incident to see what you could have done differently. Fact: it is the responsibility of the passing driver to make it safe, fact: driver being passed should stay on line and not do any erratic maneuvers (ie pulling hard right), fact: seems no mirror's were used in making the decision to pull hard right, fact: he had multiple issues all weekend with being off all over the place. He’s over his head…..

This incident was almost the same as the Barber fly by I had. Driver not watching their mirrors just pulls hard off line to let a faster car by, thus impending an all ready passing car.

I can say that I was happy to run in the Thunder group and hope Jim and NASA staff lets us stay there. In this group we pass less people and at a much safer speed (most cars aren’t much slower and most are faster). In Lightning we have too great of speed difference for safe racing.

The hard truth is us two in the end are the ones that are hit with the repair bill. Which we accept, but one erratic driver who f-up all weekend walks away with a slap on the wrist.

Karl if you have any video I would like to see it.

mpowers

watch your mirrors...

Edited by Guest

from my view,taking pictures at pit in, you did a whale of a job not nailing the panoz in the door....

my 2 cents..

Lil Johnny

this weekends pit in and out guy!!

TorqueAholic

Sorry about the unfortunate set of circumstances

I'm not real sure why the Panoz would drive toward the center of the track, big if, the car was under his control. .

I agree, after looking at the video a couple of times, it looks like he was still dealing with a handfull of wiggles. The move towards center track appeared to be another unintended wiggle going the wrong way at the wrong time.

You did an admirable (and very sporting) job of not making significant contact and taking the bullet. If I ever get to run in the race groups you're the kind of guy I want to be on track with.

I hope it's fixable and I'm glad no one was injured.

-Francois

I wonder if the wheel off at 10B track out was what flattened the tire? The car didn't look squirrely until after that.

That's very possible. Here is my result from dropping 2 off in 10B. It was a hard hit.

DSCF2851.jpg

DSCF2850.jpg

to the OP, really sorry about your car but glad you are ok! that was definitely a hard hit!

fact: he had multiple issues all weekend with being off all over the place. He’s over his head…..

i saw the red/white panoz off course several times throughout the weekend including some contact (iirc, it was outside of T7)...

Lil Johnny

this weekends pit in and out guy!!

^^^^^^^^^^

Racer side!

I was this weekend's pit in & out guy on the DE side

We had two pits & grids to operate at RA this weekend with a skeleton crew, many newbies like myself. Boy were we hopping! I really missed being able to see all the racers this weekend, but we were so busy, I never crossed that bridge a single time!

I was in the tower when this incident happened and I'm surprised the whole thing didn't tip over from everybody running to the side window to see the outcome of what was unfolding before us. So glad nobody was injured!

Fred Crawford

No place to go..... you were committed.... I aggree with all your comments. Its a tough turn under full speed. One more foot you would of made it. Been there before.

Fc

Ouch $

I was in the tower when this incident happened and I'm surprised the whole thing didn't tip over from everybody running to the side window to see the outcome of what was unfolding before us. So glad nobody was injured!

I was up in the tower, as well, taping the race. It certainly looked, from where I was, like the Panoz car hit you, OP. I don't think you could have done anything differently. I join in everyone elses' sentiments in being so glad that no one was hurt.

Here's a couple of hi/low lights from Saturday's Thunder race:

Giddy Up!

Saturday was such a bad day for me, posting the whole race is out of the question.

BTW, S2000 driver and Mike, I saw it happen from the pavillion and it looked bad.

Thankfully you guys are all right.