FR-500 Mustang

68Cobra

Has the FR-500 been classified for TT? It only has 325 horse power.

What about running it in A/I? Will it fit the A/I rules?

Thanks,

J Ray

Has the FR-500 been classified for TT? It only has 325 horse power.

What about running it in A/I? Will it fit the A/I rules?

Thanks,

J Ray

That would be the FR500S (Miller Cup Spec Car)....

why wouldn't it be AI legal - all the 05+ Mustangs are and they didn't do anything to change the wheelbase, track width or anything else crazy that gets you pushed to AIX, right?

I imagine you'd get to class it the same as taking any other 2005ish Mustang with a bunch of parts on it. Break out the classing sheet & add it up

It has many mods listed (in the Ford window sticker) and probably a few unlisted - with a base class of TTC they end up in TTS more than likely - but TTA may be possible depending on tire choice. I know an average to good driver can put them into the high 1:30's at Road Atlanta and I think the really good guys are running in the mid 1:30s in traffic there...

IF it were considered a modified 08' Mustang GT........

Believe it or not, the car is still legal on weight for TTC, and if you tally up all the points it is still a TTA car with points to spare.

Believe it or not, the car is still legal on weight for TTC, and if you tally up all the points it is still a TTA car with points to spare.

why should it not be considered a 2008 Mustang GT with mods? Am I missing something?

why should it not be considered a 2008 Mustang GT with mods? Am I missing something?

There is not a 2008 Mustang GT out there with only the mods listed capable of those times. It may be the sleeper deal of the century for TTA. I pointed it out as ~50 points with a base tire size of 255mm - but you really need to know all the changes in the aero and suspension (from a base Mustang GT) - plus the source of the 25HP bump up to get the real story.

[quote=

There is not a 2008 Mustang GT out there with only the mods listed capable of those times. It may be the sleeper deal of the century for TTA. I pointed it out as ~50 points with a base tire size of 255mm - but you really need to know all the changes in the aero and suspension (from a base Mustang GT) - plus the source of the 25HP bump up to get the real story.

Wanna bet?.......

I'm VERY familiar with the cars. I own a 2006 GT that my driving coach has had success in TTB with. The car still has a couple more seconds left on the table that will be unleashed soon.

The aero mods to the FR500S are not extensive. Splitter - woop-dee-doo. +4

Wing - +4

All told, the car is +45. It actually gets 1 point BACK, since they run on 245mm BFG R1's.

The classing for the 07 and 08 Mustangs is a blessing. BELIEVE ME - they don't weigh 3350lbs. Since the car is allowed 3200 with 150lbs of ballast...not a problem. Just ask Robin Burnett what his AI car weighs. These cars are tanks. The only differences between the 07/08's and the 05/06's are the fake hood scoop, tire pressure monitoring system, 3.31 gears standard instead of 3.55's, and a revised water crossover.

The only problem I would see is the ABS program, which is different than the street version, and poses a problem for the car in AI, and i'm sure in TT as well.

Other than that, yep - the car would be a TTA monster. With 14 points left to play with and remain in TTA - all I can say is Look Out. Mine is competitive in full street trim with stock brakes and a 275lb driver.

That's really the question. Technically it is. The FR500S is built on the factory assembly line. First time ever for Ford. They're not put together by Multimatic as the Fr500C's are.

[quote name=

The only problem I would see is the ABS program' date=' which is different than the street version, and poses a problem for the car in AI, and i'm sure in TT as well.

[/quote]

What is the difference, and why would it cause a problem?

To be considered a mustang GT with mods, doesn't it actually have to start out as a production mustang GT?

how is it different from a guy that starts with a body-in-white?

Are the 500S and 500C different cars?

For the 500S

base class 2008 Ford Mustang GT C @ 3356

up grade or add gears in trans +3

up-grade diff +3

Recalibrated PCM for NA vehicals +5

sway bars +2

cold air kit +1

springs +2

shocks +7

brake calipers +2

rear spoiler at least if not more per rules +2 have to see and measure

front splitter at least if not more per rules +3 have to see and measure

The motor is a Ford racing motor M-6007-MC. No tellling what is in there. Probobly different heads, valves and cams.

full exhaust system +5

Non OEM sensors or alteration of sensor inputs +1

Replace or modify control arm +4

Plus tires ?

total so far 40 points plus tires.

http://www.millercup.com/pdf/FR500SMillerPartsList.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is possible but it would take more research and probably seeing and measuring the car. Look out Vett's

Anybody with a Mustang there's your parts list..get busy.

[quote name=

Wanna bet?.......

I'm VERY familiar with the cars. I own a 2006 GT that my driving coach has had success in TTB with. The car still has a couple more seconds left on the table that will be unleashed soon.

The aero mods to the FR500S are not extensive. Splitter - woop-dee-doo. +4

Wing - +4

All told' date=' the car is +45. It actually gets 1 point BACK, since they run on 245mm BFG R1's.

The classing for the 07 and 08 Mustangs is a blessing. BELIEVE ME - they don't weigh 3350lbs. Since the car is allowed 3200 with 150lbs of ballast...not a problem. Just ask Robin Burnett what his AI car weighs. These cars are tanks. The only differences between the 07/08's and the 05/06's are the fake hood scoop, tire pressure monitoring system, 3.31 gears standard instead of 3.55's, and a revised water crossover.

The only problem I would see is the ABS program, which is different than the street version, and poses a problem for the car in AI, and i'm sure in TT as well.

Other than that, yep - the car would be a TTA monster. With 14 points left to play with and remain in TTA - all I can say is Look Out. Mine is competitive in full street trim with stock brakes and a 275lb driver. [/quote]

it will be a TTA monster and, yes I will bet a 2008 Mustang GT with the listed mods will not run (other then the FR-500cC) can run mid 1:35s at Road Atlanta.

For the 500S

up-grade diff +3

sway bars +2

cold air kit +1

springs +2

shocks +7

brake calipers +2

The motor is a Ford racing motor M-6007-MC. No tellling what is in there. Probobly different heads, valves and cams.

full exhaust system +5

Plus tires ?

http://www.millercup.com/pdf/FR500SMillerPartsList.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is possible but it would take more research and probably seeing and measuring the car. Look out Vett's

Add points for different fuel injectors, and different mass air meter & strut tower brace.

I love all the guessing, presuming, and assuming.

It's a STOCK Mustang GT 4.6l 3v motor. "probably diferent heads, valves, cams" - nope. With all that dontcha think they would have got more than 25hp out of it?

It does NOT have different injectors - standard 24 pounders. It also has the same mass air meter.

The control arms are not modified. They are the Shelby GT500 control arms. These arms are IDENTICAL to the Mustang GT, except for stronger ball joints and stiffer bushings. You can't tell them apart. A FR500S might take the points, but a Mustang GT wouldn't.

No matter what, no matter how you slice it - the car is a TTA car. Whether you plop $75,000 on one, or in my case convert my Mustang GT to similar specs. On my Mustang, I can actually go further than FoMoCo went with the FR500S, and still be in TTA. My personal opinion is that TT is for street cars and to go that ridiculous to run in TT would be silly for me. I like my air conditioning and 1000 watt stereo

There are better wing and splitter designs out there. Ford went with what they could get cheap. The wheels are from the Shelby parts bin - nice and heavy. The car doesn't have a watts link. It still has rubber bushings. There's a lot left in the car and in the points.

For the 500S

up-grade diff +3

sway bars +2

cold air kit +1

springs +2

shocks +7

brake calipers +2

full exhaust system +5

Plus tires ?

http://www.millercup.com/pdf/FR500SMillerPartsList.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Non-OEM or modified/ported throttle body +2 points

fuel rail, fuel injectors, fuel pump, +2 points

Metallic replacement suspension bushings (Heim joints/spherical joints) +3

57 with tires. I'm sure if you do a little more research 3 more points is not a question

I love all the guessing, presuming, and assuming.

It's a STOCK Mustang GT 4.6l 3v motor. "probably diferent heads, valves, cams" - nope. With all that dontcha think they would have got more than 25hp out of it?

With Ford, ya never know.

It does NOT have different injectors - standard 24 pounders. It also has the same mass air meter.

The control arms are not modified. They are the Shelby GT500 control arms. These arms are IDENTICAL to the Mustang GT, except for stronger ball joints and stiffer bushings. You can't tell them apart. A FR500S might take the points, but a Mustang GT wouldn't.

If you look at the parts list, it tells you what came from where. Example of the control arms, they are from a Shelby not a GT hence the points you have to take for the parts that are not stock GT parts.

http://www.millercup.com/pdf/FR500SMillerPartsList.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No matter what, no matter how you slice it - the car is a TTA car. Whether you plop $75,000 on one, or in my case convert my Mustang GT to similar specs. On my Mustang, I can actually go further than FoMoCo went with the FR500S, and still be in TTA. My personal opinion is that TT is for street cars and to go that ridiculous to run in TT would be silly for me. I like my air conditioning and 1000 watt stereo

There are better wing and splitter designs out there. Ford went with what they could get cheap. The wheels are from the Shelby parts bin - nice and heavy. The car doesn't have a watts link. It still has rubber bushings. There's a lot left in the car and in the points.

I agree, it's nice to have AC when sitting on grid, just hit the power window switch and turn the AC on. I'd love to see how one does in TT-A. It would be very interesting to say the least.

For the 500S

up-grade diff +3

sway bars +2

cold air kit +1

springs +2

shocks +7

brake calipers +2

full exhaust system +5

Plus tires ?

http://www.millercup.com/pdf/FR500SMillerPartsList.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Non-OEM or modified/ported throttle body +2 points

fuel rail, fuel injectors, fuel pump, +2 points

Metallic replacement suspension bushings (Heim joints/spherical joints) +3

57 with tires. I'm sure if you do a little more research 3 more points is not a question

The car doesn't have any of the items you are quoting, Denise....

Here are the points.

Tires - BFG R1's +9 (they are only 245mm, allowed 255 in TTC)

Engine mods -

Cold air intake - +1

Full exhaust - +5

ECM tune - +5

Transmission - +3

Differential - +3

Suspension -

Shocks - +7

Springs - +2

Swaybars +2

Control arms - + 4 front, +1 rear

Brakes - +2

Strut tower brace - +1

Aero - (we'll go with the max since I don't have the tech on the dimensions)

Splitter - +4

Wing - +4

Thats 53 points...............