newb question

candymanjl

what's up guys, I'm looking into maybe attending my first event in October at Sebring. I'm looking into the HPDE 1 and besides registration for the actual event what else do I need to do? I'm assuming I need to become a NASA member but do I also need to get a NASA licence? thanks for helping a newb!

First you need to become a member of NASA from their home page. It's about 40 something dollars for one year. You get an annual subscription to Grassroots Motorsports as part of the membership too. Once your a member they will email your confirmation and member number, you will need that to register for an event. That's it. You will need a valid state issued drivers license to participate in any on track event I think. You only need a NASA Comp license when you race w2w or TT.

On NASA home page on the left tool bar you will see an area called my first HPDE or getting ready for HPDE, read that as it will tell you what to expect.

Good luck and have fun.

thanks for the reply, I did actually read just about all of those articles already, good stuff! I just didn't see anything saying if I needed the licence or not, kinda figured you wouldn't since it's the most basic event but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm going to become a member right now, get the first step done now to talk my buddy into it, his S2000 should be supercharged by then and a lot of fun on the track

now to talk my buddy into it, his S2000 should be supercharged by then and a lot of fun on the track

Be careful with that! Make sure that it's properly prepared for open track driving. Any squirrelly tuner shop can put a program in the ECU for drag racing, but I have seen several forced induction "tuner cars" in the last year that show up at Homestead or Sebring and wind up quickly overheating or just blowing black smoke down the straights. Make sure that his car is properly prepared, or else it could be a short and expensive weekend. If he's new to this kind of thing, then it's probably best for him to hit the track without the blower on his S2000...it's plenty fast as it is, and definitely more reliable.

Mark

I hear you, it's got an AEM EMS ECU plus an upgraded fuel system so it's ready for boost. we'll have it tuned properly and leave it a little conservative since it's a daily driver anyway.

From one Newb to another, don't go into this thinking about speed. There's a lot more to it than going fast.

If you haven't applied for HPDE-1 you better do it ASAP, 1 fills up fast.

From one Newb to another, don't go into this thinking about speed. There's a lot more to it than going fast.

If you haven't applied for HPDE-1 you better do it ASAP, 1 fills up fast.

I definately agree with you! especially since I've never race a real road course I've already told myself I'll just be short shifting the car the whole time I also want to make sure my car will behave itself on a 20-30 minute session. I'm pretty anxious to ride with an instructor and learn as much as I can.

I'll be signing up for HPDE-1 soon now that I've got my membership #, I just need to make sure I have the time off of work since I work weekends.

You shouldn't need the number to get on the list. I was on standby and joined when they called me the week before saying there was an opening at RA a couple of weeks ago.

I just got all my membership stuff in the mail this week.

you'll also need to get your car tech inspected. There should be a list of approved tech inspection locations on your region's website. You want to get it checked before you go to the track so that you are sure it will pass.

cheers,

bruce

The registration packet that you will receive from NASA-FL has a checklist of items. Make sure that you actually address all of them, and please don't BS the tech inspectors and "yes" us to death if you haven't truly taken care of the items. You should set aside the weekend before the event to completely go through the list.

Here is how we can tell if you're paying attention or not during inspection:

Inspector: "Have you bled the lugnuts and torqued the brake fluid?"

Driver: "Yes."

Inspector: "You did WHAT?"

Driver: "Uhhhh..."

lol

Despite our initial lighthearted shenanigans, we're still very serious when it comes to inspection and making sure that everybody brings a safe car with the proper safety gear. This is not just for the driver, but for all drivers on the track.

"Just in case," note that dirt bike helmets are NOT legal, unless they bear the appropriate Snell rating. We had a driver show up once with a nice, shiny, custom painted $750 dirt bike helmet, only to fail tech because of it. Also note that rental helmets are not typically available at NASA-FL events, although I'll let you borrow my old, stinky M95 helmet if you buy my lunch on both days.

Mark (assistant HPDE tech inspector)

lol, I've been doing everything to keep my car drag strip legal for Moroso when they reopen so don't worry, I'll be going through everything on the tech sheet I've got a set of brand new A048's coming, I'll be doing all of the suggested maintenence stuff and I'm looking at some Hawk pads too. my car is like 95% ready, gotta neaten up some wiring and replace some steering rod ends so there's no play in the steering anymore and I think I'm all set. I saved the tech checklist off of the florida region site so I'll go by that.

and don't worry, I've got a real DOT / Snell approved motorcycle helmet from when I used to ride along with my own nice and dawny fresh smelling head sock so someone else will have to buy you lunch to borrow your stinky helmet Mark

thanks man, after I get the steering tightened up and the alignment redone I was going to find a tech place on the list to check out the car before the event. anyone have a suggestion for where to go in the fort lauderdale area? and does it cost money?

Honestly, you should be able to perform the work yourself at home if you're remotely handy with a set of tools. Flush out the brake fluid and put new stuff in (Motive Products has some tools that make this a 1-man job), check the brake pad material, verify no cracks in brake rotors (and we look closely at cross-drilled rotors...note that many of the faster cars use non-drilled and non-slotted rotors), torque the lugnuts (and make sure that you're not missing any), remove hubcaps or centercaps, etc. Most of the items are common sense, and most street cars are probably due for this kind of a tune-up, so this list will benefit you after an HPDE weekend.

Mistakes we have seen in tech that can easily be avoided:

1. Missing lugnut under a centercap (after the driver told us that the wheels were properly torqued; he must have thought that we wouldn't actually look).

2. Unapproved helmet.

3. Brake lights not functional.

4. Battery not securely attached.

5. Paperwork not filled out (to the end of the line you go).

6. Forgot helmet in pit stall (bring all of your safety gear to tech).

7. Wearing shorts, a wifebeater, and/or flip flops (bring the clothes you plan to wear to tech).

But, if you're worried about mussing your fresh manicure or if you don't want to risk breaking a sweat, then by all means, take your Ferrari Enzo to a shop and have them go through the checklist!

Mark

I've got a real DOT / Snell approved motorcycle helmet from when I used to ride along with my own nice and dawny fresh smelling head sock so someone else will have to buy you lunch to borrow your stinky helmet Mark

Just a friendly FYI - a motorcycle rated helmet won't pass in some regions. Since you are talking to a tech inspector in FL, sounds good - but some regions are really pressing for a Snell SA rating, not an M rating.

In NASA-FL, the minimum requirement for HPDE is M95 or SA95. Strangely enough, if you read the CCR, the minimum requirement for HPDE is M90 or SA90. Those are some old buckets! I have never seen one come through tech, but I have seen an M95 or two show up.

NASA is one of the few groups that allow M helmets, though. Others are SA or the highway. If you're going to buy a new helmet, and you think that you might run with other groups, then buy SA2005. If you already have an M95, then bring it and you should be fine. If you have an M90, while it might be OK, do yourself a favor and convert it into a flowerpot and get something new! You might want to buy yourself a pushbutton telephone and a VCR while you're at it. lol

Mark

Oh, and just because there is a DOT sticker on the outside doesn't necessarily mean that it's legal. Look inside the helmet for the Snell sticker. No tickee, no laundry!

Mark

In NASA-FL, the minimum requirement for HPDE is M95 or SA95. If you have an M90, while it might be OK, do yourself a favor and convert it into a flowerpot and get something new!

M95 is still allowed on a a track? Not debating it, just surprised.

Honestly, you should be able to perform the work yourself at home if you're remotely handy with a set of tools. Flush out the brake fluid and put new stuff in (Motive Products has some tools that make this a 1-man job), check the brake pad material, verify no cracks in brake rotors (and we look closely at cross-drilled rotors...note that many of the faster cars use non-drilled and non-slotted rotors), torque the lugnuts (and make sure that you're not missing any), remove hubcaps or centercaps, etc. Most of the items are common sense, and most street cars are probably due for this kind of a tune-up, so this list will benefit you after an HPDE weekend.

I wouldn't let any shop touch my car, maybe I would if I could afford an Enzo

it was suggested I get the car tech inspected before going to the track, that's what I was asking about costing money. I've already got the motive power bleeder, it works great! my Shoei helmet is DOT-218 and Snell-M2000 approved, will that work?

M95 is still allowed on a a track? Not debating it, just surprised.

The NASA CCR, 2008.13 edition, chapter 11.0 HPDE Technical Requirements, section 11.3 Required Safety Equipment - Driver, states:

"1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles."

The last I saw, NASA-FL requires M1995 or SA1995 as a minimum, so the individual regions may or may not be stricter than the CCR. But really, an M1990 helmet is 18 years old! It really should be thrown out by now.

BTW, I'm just an assistant tech inspector at the track events; I'm not any type of NASA official or anything like that. I'm just helping to answer some questions here, but ultimately, NASA and/or NASA-FL will have the final word.

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

Best thing to do is to be prepared. Asking tons of questions here is a great start. If you don't know, ask. Regardless of how dumb you think a question might be, if you don't know, it's not a dumb question. The more prepared you are ahead of time, the more you can relax and enjoy yourself the day of. Have everything ready to go the night before. Make yourself a checklist. Leave plenty of room at the bottom to add new things as you discover what you forgot. You'll be plenty nervous as it is, having to scramble around to fix or find something the morning of an event can really wreck your nerves. Ask your instructor questions. Instructors love to show how smart they are And don't be afraid to speak up in the classroom sessions as well. Odds are if there is something you aren't clear on, then someone else in the room is in the same boat.

And be sure and get out and mingle between sessions. Introduce yourself. Watch other sessions/races. Ask questions. Everyone loves to talk about their car and session/race.

And evey once in a while, remind yourself that you are having a blast.

thanks for the reply! as of now I'm planning on going to the homestead event, sebring was just too short of a timeline for the few things I have left to do to the car.