Jim P.

Toys for Tots 8 hr Enduro

King Matt

This is a pretty funny discussion. I think this rule on fuel jugs needs to be cleaned up, because the Hunsaker jugs are not the only "5-gallon" fuel jugs that actually hold a full 6 gallons. I have a VP jug (similar to the jugs in one of the photos posted in this thread) that I regularly fill to 6 gallons from a gas pump. That fills it up to the middle of the threads on the cap, but 6 gallons is 6 gallons. My other "5-gallon" jugs, which I bought from Summit, all hold more than 5.5 gallons easily. So I'm wondering if you can even buy a "5-gallon" jug that does not hold significantly more than the nominal volume? If so, every jug on pit lane might be technically illegal per the enduro rule.

If no one is checking the actual volume the jugs are filled to, it doesn't make sense to declare a Hunsaker that's filled with a legal 5 gallons illegal when someone else has a "legal" jug that is illegally filled with more than 5 gallons.

dmwhite
The rule seem really simple to me: a legal can may not be capable of holding 6 gallons:

jugs.jpg

these cans will hold more then 5 gallons but are not capable of holding 6 therefore they would be legal.

just noticed something Drew, the picture you used is the same one used on Discovery Parts site: http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1219785177.189&product=fuel&pid=395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

description: 5.5 US gallon capacity

how can a 5.5 gallon (as advertised) jug be a nasa approved 5 gallon jug?

Edited by Guest

155///MPH

How hard can it be to issue an approved fuel jug list?

JP

Gravy Train Captain

snakebit

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I thought I'd add my .02 worth. Matt is right, I have never seen any type of fuel container hold only its nominal advertised volume....they always hold more.

How hard would it be to mark a 5 gallon level line with a sharpie or 1/8" vinyl tape on any 5 gallon "approximate" fuel jug. A NASA official could check the volume and provide an official "passed sticker", like they put on our helmets each year. A casual glance by an official on pit road while refueling would be all that's needed to verify compliance.

John Coulter

King Matt
The rule seem really simple to me: a legal can may not be capable of holding 6 gallons:

jugs.jpg

these cans will hold more then 5 gallons but are not capable of holding 6 therefore they would be legal.

Those appear to be identical to the jugs I have that actually hold 6 gallons.

Tim Pruitt

I do not really have anything to add but I was tired a reading about fuel cans.

However, we plan to be at the event in a new 928. We plan to have 3 to 4 drivers.

What will be the mechanism to help the Toys for Tots charity?

Jim P.

Normally at Road Atlanta events we charge a $20 gate fee - anyone who brings a clean, shrink wrapped toy worth at least $20 will get in free (ie. no gate fee).

All toys will go to Marine's Toys for Tots Foundation

tft_logo.jpg

IndyJim

Do you think the tots need any lightly used hunsaker cans?

Jim P.
Do you think the tots need any lightly used hunsaker cans?

Are they clean and wrapped in their original packaging?

IndyJim

Its part of a NASCAR junior fuel guy play set, original packing is included.

Jim P.

Is that the one that comes with a fire proof suit and a realistic impact?

Firebird Man

No dog in this fight either but I have a 22 gallon fuel cell, I assume I could fill it before the race?

Why the 10 gallon rule anyway? That's what, 45 minutes on track max?

On another note, why would anyone cheat at this level anyway? All you get is a Trophy. When you show off your shiny trophies do you say you got this one cheating on fuel, you got this one cheating on engine size and this one on weight.

Having won something by cheating you haven't won anything, and you and most everyone else will know it.

It's like telling the truth vs a lie, with the truth you don't have to remember what lie you told.

Karl
No dog in this fight either but I have a 22 gallon fuel cell, I assume I could fill it before the race?

I can make well over and hour closer to 90min on 10 gal

Lemming

Team Lemming has been formed. As long as my co-driver keeps his spins to a minimum, we should be good for the overall Watch out Drew, I'm coming loaded for BEAR

Karl
Team Lemming has been formed. As long as my co-driver keeps his spins to a minimum, we should be good for the overall Watch out Drew, I'm coming loaded for BEAR

and what about your spins?

Lemming

and what about your spins?

I got them out of my system at the last event

Fred Crawford

Oh my god I just read this intire thread...... Toys 4 Tots..... and I'm not jumping in... I feel good about myself.... life is often to short.....

Fc

Will inspect Jugs for Free

snakebit

Fc

Will inspect Jugs for Free

Those kinda juggs have 2 g's Fred

John

Spell checker, volunteer jugg inspector, rules writer wanna be

LMan
, why would anyone cheat at this level anyway? .

hey now, don't confuse a good schoolyard pecker-measuring contest with logic.....

LMan

We punch a hole at the 5 gal mark

dmwhite

Jim P.

That's not a bad idea....

155///MPH

Until you turn the jug over to fill the car.

FandangoDrew

Another badly written rule here - if the tank is not "significantly larger than originally equipped" with no definition of what is "significantly". I would think that 22 gallons isn't significantly larger then stock but thats up to interpretation. If the tank is "significantly larger than originally equipped" you should start with the same amount the stock tank would have held.

Firebird Man

hey now, don't confuse a good schoolyard pecker-measuring contest with logic.....

Sorry, my bad

I'll order my stroker kit, DSE suspension and Baer Brakes now.