2009 Nationals - MidOhio?

Markus

Hey -

Just curious I can't remember if NASA signed with MidOhio for 3yrs or 5yrs? If the Nationals aren't going to be at MidOhio next year it might change the amount of effort I put into car prep, and I'd certainly want to savor every moment of it this year a little more. I hope it's not out of line to ask, just curious!

Thanks,

- Mark

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• vpnwiz

• 944-Spec#94

• JackBaruth

what track would be next? Road Atlanta? Miller? VIR? can't think of many along with Mid-O that are really even worthy

scratch Daytona - yeah its got history but rovals with flat infield = yawn in comparison... my $0.02

the other two are worthy, sorted by what I'd prefer to see

Road Atlanta (car eater, not all that central, but damn do I love it)

Miller (fairly central, wide open spaces, a touch far from the east but not toooo bad)

VIR (not all that central - full course is turning into a bit of a car eater with the new walls as well)

Laguna Seca (good for west coast, screw the east coast though, heh)

Watkins Glen (screw the west coast, car eater)

TWS. Centrally located, can host an event of this size/magnitude, and....is in TX.

see Daytona, subtract history, subtract decent facility, subtract... well, just about everything

if it wasn't 45 min from my house I'd never bother

TWS actually has significant history....granted, not like Daytona, but history none the less.

Yes, the place needs some work....so does various parts of Mid-O.

One thing you cannot argue about is it's central location.

• Members
TWS actually has significant history....granted, not like Daytona, but history none the less.

That would make it a little more doable for all the west coast people.

Road America is the obvious next location. Great track, plenty of space, very well located, especially for me! Or how about Heartland Park. That's what "centrally located" gets you.

TWS actually wouldn't need much work at all. There is plenty of space inside and outside the track for paddock space. I am also sure if NASA chose it, that the regular facilities would be upgraded with quickness.

As far as history, do a youtube search and you will find WSC races from mid 90's running through NASCAR 3 and 4 which is no bueno now but you can't scoff at a 2.9 mile course with a little bit of everything and 150mph speeds! would also be cool to see a real AIX lap record there but they would need new undies after diving into turn 1 at probably 180'ish!!!

If you are looking for "central" Hallett is in the middle of it all....just couldn't accomodate a large national event like this unless we staged it over two weeks by class. Would be pretty badass to see 40 AI cars at Hallett!!!

Personally I am less interested in *where* the track is located than which track it actually is. Nationals at Laguna Seca would be incredible. I would have to truck my car out there from Ohio, and pay for airfare, sure. But the experience would (I hope!) be worth it.

I for one would like to see Nationals move around more... ideally every year, from track to track around the country. The regional NASA organizations should also have officially prepared/sponsored transportation for the race cars to Nationals. I've seen so many posts for help in transporting to Nationals... IMO this should be handled, or at least organized, by the regions themselves. It's a real shame that some people that want to go to Nationals won't be able to either because of location or transportation. NASA could do something about that.

Patrick

I for one would like to see Nationals move around more... ideally every year, from track to track around the country. The regional NASA organizations should also have officially prepared/sponsored transportation for the race cars to Nationals. I've seen so many posts for help in transporting to Nationals... IMO this should be handled, or at least organized, by the regions themselves. It's a real shame that some people that want to go to Nationals won't be able to either because of location or transportation. NASA could do something about that.

Patrick

Wow, Patrick, that's quite a wish list for an event that hasn't even existed for three iterations yet

The RunOffs have been going on since what, early 60s? and they haven't conquered all THAT yet.

You cannot move it every single year as presently constituted, the realities of contracting, track schedules, availability, etc make it all but impossible. SCCA has just gone through this agony with HPT/RA, yada yada....the sheer size of the country means some will benefit logistically from the location, and some will not.

Right, I hear you. There are challenges. It's new. But if you don't think big nothing new ever happens.

Side point: If Nationals are going to be in the same place for 5 years in a row, why isn't there regionally sponsored transportation for racers? Something to think about.

If TWS only had a few decaying DC-3's laying about, it would be an ideal set for post-apocalypse zombie movie. Mid Ohio may need a minor improvement or two, but at least it doesn't look like it was abandoned in 1973 or require that participants and spectators have up-to-date tetanus shots.

A race worthy of being called a national championship should be held on a truly great permanent road course. IMHO, there are six such tracks in the United States: Laguna Seca, Road America, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen and now VIR.

SCCA should be applauded for finally seeing the light and realizing that the Runoffs need to be someplace special, not someplace convenient. NASA made the right decision when the Runoffs left Mid Ohio, and if the race does move, it should move to another great track.

Personally I am less interested in *where* the track is located than which track it actually is. Nationals at Laguna Seca would be incredible. I would have to truck my car out there from Ohio, and pay for airfare, sure. But the experience would (I hope!) be worth it.

Patrick

What do you think the Cali guys have been doing every year? 2008 Nationals is going to be my first time going, but i cant imagine having to do this every year. On top of Regional events, having to put together the funds to make it to Nationals all the way from here is really stressing me out. I dont know how the other Socal guys do it every year. It would be nice if the powers that be would work something out to balance things out by somehow helping people get there. I wanted to go last year, i just couldnt afford it. It would be really nice if Nationals would be hosted somewhere in the West coast when it comes time for that change.

I have run many tracks on the West Coast. Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, Cal Speedway, Willow Springs, Sears Point, Miller.

By far the best facilities are at Miller. Miller was designed from the ground up to accommodate racers and racing. And since it is not now utilized to it's capacity, now would be a good time to negotiate.

I love these discussions because they give me a chance to post my favorite population density map. Pin the tail on the critical mass of US population density. Hey, looks like it would be pretty close to Mid-Ohio. Imagine that.

lf-map.gif

• Members
I love these discussions because they give me a chance to post my favorite population density map. Pin the tail on the critical mass of US population density. Hey, looks like it would be pretty close to Mid-Ohio. Imagine that.

lf-map.gif

Looking at that map it also looks like Road Atlanta, VIR and Watkins Glen would be fine choices as well...

If TWS only had a few decaying DC-3's laying about, it would be an ideal set for post-apocalypse zombie movie. Mid Ohio may need a minor improvement or two, but at least it doesn't look like it was abandoned in 1973 or require that participants and spectators have up-to-date tetanus shots.

A race worthy of being called a national championship should be held on a truly great permanent road course. IMHO, there are six such tracks in the United States: Laguna Seca, Road America, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen and now VIR.

SCCA should be applauded for finally seeing the light and realizing that the Runoffs need to be someplace special, not someplace convenient. NASA made the right decision when the Runoffs left Mid Ohio, and if the race does move, it should move to another great track.

add Miller - that place is nice enough to host F1 if the track owner has the balls and budget to go for it...

100% agreed otherwise

I have run many tracks on the West Coast. Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, Cal Speedway, Willow Springs, Sears Point, Miller.

By far the best facilities are at Miller. Miller was designed from the ground up to accommodate racers and racing. And since it is not now utilized to it's capacity, now would be a good time to negotiate.

I havent ran Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Miller yet, but i hear great things about Miller.

• Members

lf-map.gif

Does that map accurtely depict all NASA drivers?

No? Just warm bodies in gerneral you say?

Yeah well, nice map. Doesnt really apply in this case, does it.

or NASA drivers who will attend Nats for that matter?

where did the Ohio/Indiana (or whatever your calling it these days) rank in car count over the last two years?

i vote Miller - in a cool temp month.