2009 Nationals - MidOhio?

Markus

I love these discussions because they give me a chance to post my favorite population density map. Pin the tail on the critical mass of US population density. Hey, looks like it would be pretty close to Mid-Ohio. Imagine that.

lf-map.gif

Does that map accurtely depict all NASA drivers?

No? Just warm bodies in gerneral you say?

Yeah well, nice map. Doesnt really apply in this case, does it.

I dont understand why some people are so against changing it up? Besides, it will give many other very capable drivers to compete at the National level, who simply cant afford the 2,300+ mile hike to Mid-O. If people are voting for certain tracks because its in their backyard, then thats pretty selfish in my perspective. Why not challenge yourself by running a new track? Why not give other people the same opportunities?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• vpnwiz

• 944-Spec#94

• JackBaruth

Barber sucks - its easy access for me (relative to Mid-O) and I would really think about not going just because its not very fun track-wise

Road Atlanta is about 2,342,343 times better

Miller is about 2,244,345 times better

I googled it and the answer is Phelps County, Missouri in 2000 it was the population center of the US. I am sure it has moved a little southwest in the last 8 years.

matt

Who has the population map of drivers that qualify for the NASA Championships?

I work for a demographic mapping company and I was actually going to pull that... What's the typical demographic? Male, 25-55 with annual income >$75K?

lf-map.gif

I dont understand why some people are so against changing it up? Besides, it will give many other very capable drivers to compete at the National level, who simply cant afford the 2,300+ mile hike to Mid-O. If people are voting for certain tracks because its in their backyard, then thats pretty selfish in my perspective. Why not challenge yourself by running a new track? Why not give other people the same opportunities?

The answer is $$$$$$$. Yes, it would be fair and nice to give everyone throughout the U.S. an equal shot at Nationals. But it's not about fair. Money is the overriding factor for where it happens. Look at the map, and you can see why it's on the East Coast. After that, it's which of those tracks in the East can host a National and cuts the best deal. Show me the money.

I work for a demographic mapping company and I was actually going to pull that... What's the typical demographic? Male, 25-55 with annual income >$75K?

No, the typical demographic is holders of a NASA license.

The answer is $$$$$$$. Yes, it would be fair and nice to give everyone throughout the U.S. an equal shot at Nationals. But it's not about fair. Money is the overriding factor for where it happens. Look at the map, and you can see why it's on the East Coast. After that, it's which of those tracks in the East can host a National and cuts the best deal. Show me the money.

If it is $$$$$$$$, I would believe NASA could cut a better deal at Miller than Mid Ohio. If it were only about the money for the racers, there would be no one coming from the West.

Really, wow didn't know that... so what is the typical NASA licensee look like >75yr old Females living on SS?? Or one better send me the registry and I can just cut to the chase...

Point is, seeing that much of the cluster in the GL/NE region is around the Rust Belt, pretty sure they are not our target and therefore looking at a density map including them is meaningless.

If it is $$$$$$$$, I would believe NASA could cut a better deal at Miller than Mid Ohio....

And if NASA can make more money at Miller, they'll move it, but the location has little to do with fair for racer opportunties or driver voting. Just business -- revenue driven decision. IMO.

... but the location has little to do with fair for racer opportunties or driver voting. Just business -- revenue driven decision. IMO.

This is proved out by them charging $1000 for a garage at Mid-Ohio (where they are normally $200 at other NASA weekends - compared with $50 at PCA events!!), and $99 for a (n almost) free piece of pavement.

At least the grass is free. Unless you have an RV, in which case grass will cost you $50 courtesy of Mid-O management.

Patrick

If it were only about the money for the racers, there would be no one coming from the West.

I didnt say it was "only" about the money for the racers. But I think it's mostly about the money for racers. I have driven 50 races at Summit Point and zero at Laguna Seca. That's not because I think SP is a better place to race, it's really more about the money to get to LS from Washington, DC. And I would venture a guess that most NASA racers are budget driven as to where they race and how often. So hell yes, I want Nationals in MY backyard. But I dont think what I want really matters all that much in this case.

Considering the number of people that race with NASA that have come from other sanctioning bodies, the demographic is really anyone with a road racing license. Since NASA is a for-profit business, I assume its over-riding motive is to grow nationally, which means going where people who are likely to want to race/open track cars live. So I would think that general population demographics should have a pretty strong bearing on where NASA is likely to be successful.

Miller is a very nice track. It also has the facillities to support a National type event. The track has high speeds and some great twisty bits.

As for Mid ohio there is nothing wrong with that track, but it is very far from the West Coast NASA regions. If you talk about NASA racers you will see many on the west coast and many on the east coast. Fewer in the middle. Miller is ideally situated for those west of the Mississipi. Mid-ohio is too far for me to ever race at even with big carrot like Nationals.

I really think the only fair way for all NASA racers to be able to enjoy Nationals is alternating Central Eastern Sites vs Central Western Site. Something like Mid-0hi in the even ears and Miller in the odd years. This way those with modest budgets can run Nationals every other year with out breaking the bank. Those with money could go every year, but every other will be a long tow.

The only problem with this is the logistical effort needed to pull it off. Nationals takes alot of effort make happen moving the site from year to year is probably very challenging.

Barber sucks - its easy access for me (relative to Mid-O) and I would really think about not going just because its not very fun track-wiser

Wow - I could not disagree more vehemently. Barber is a fantastic track - excellent facilities, excellent track surface, challenging course, very fun to race....maybe that's the qualifier...fun to race, but not for HPDE.

We had a blast racing there last year, and would love to go back.

I really think the only fair way for all NASA racers to be able to enjoy Nationals is alternating Central Eastern Sites vs Central Western Site.

I disagree... I think there is more than one way for Nationals to be fair to all racers.

One way would be for each region to organize transportation for race cars to/from Nationals. Another way would be to have the National office umbrella a discounted contract with a car transporter company.

Patrick

point, shoot, repeat - takes little skill - typical Alan Wilson track

Tell me KB, how many laps do you have around BMP?

jb

~2hrs in TT (same as race quali..) I have more fun at the de-AW'd CMP... but I don't drive a drag car either

The track in no way shape or form lived up to the hype other than the surrounding facilities.

and before you get out of shape further - realize we're arguing about opinions here... no real right answer. I don't like it, you do - thats great

One way would be for each region to organize transportation for race cars to/from Nationals. Another way would be to have the National office umbrella a discounted contract with a car transporter company.

Patrick

YOu are either smoking crack or have been brainwashed by an arive and drive program...

I don't think he's saying "have NASA handle it" but rather "get a company to sponsor the event and be a recommended provider"