Phenolic Spacers

SMSP

No, they are not legal.

The regular engine rules states that:

9.1 q) Gaskets may be replaced with others so long as it does not violate any other rules contained herein.

The Hybrid rules make no mention of gaskets so there isn't any specific H1 gasket rules. They do say:

16.3 f) Throttle Bodies and Intake Manifolds are not considered part of the cylinder head and must be unmodified

Honda parts. Port matching is allowed but cannot be machined beyond 1 inch into the intake.

Since they are not expressly allowed in written text & they are not gaskets & ,even if you tried to stretch the rules, TB & IM are not open, these would not be legal on a H1 or any HC car.

No, they are not legal.

9.1 q) Gaskets may be replaced with others so long as it does not violate any other rules contained herein.

The Hybrid rules make no mention of gaskets so there isn't any specific H1 gasket rules. They do say:

16.3 f) Throttle Bodies and Intake Manifolds are not considered part of the cylinder head and must be unmodified

Honda parts. Port matching is allowed but cannot be machined beyond 1 inch into the intake.

Since they are not expressly allowed in written text & they are not gaskets & ,even if you tried to stretch the rules, TB & IM are not open, these would not be legal on a H1 or any HC car.

Technically they do provide the sealing as the gasket. Many people run the Hondata gasket, this is just a different manufacturer.

The Hondata gasket is a 'insulating gasket' that replaces the oem one. It is one complete unit.

The Outlaw Engineering is a spacer & a seperate gasket. According to the text on the webpage the kit includes, "Includes intake manifold spacer, throttle body spacer, IAC spacer, gaskets, installation kit, bypass fitting, detailed instructions and OUTLAW ENGINEERING decals!"

Again, the HC rules say this:

It doesn't say you can also add a spacer.

P.S. I have emailed Ryan on this thread. If he disagrees with me, as the National Director, I am sure he will chime in.

Edited by Guest

if you look at a stock honda s2000 intake manifold gasket, it's metal and very thin, the hondata gasket is thicker (whether you want to call it a spacer or not, it's a thicker gasket)

Ryan & I have discussed this. We will need to consult the other HC Regional Group leader to get a consensus. We hope to have this answered by early next week.

The Hondata gasket is a 'insulating gasket' that replaces the oem one. It is one complete unit.

The Outlaw Engineering is a spacer & a seperate gasket. According to the text on the webpage the kit includes, "Includes intake manifold spacer, throttle body spacer, IAC spacer, gaskets, installation kit, bypass fitting, detailed instructions and OUTLAW ENGINEERING decals!"

My whole reason of asking this question was due to the wide spread use of the Hondata gasket (which I have no problem with). My own thoughts were are these phenolic ones better? I personally used to run these on my Weber side drafts for my GT4 car car and I never used gaskets with them, only Hondabond. So in that use they were gaskets. If they are deemed legal then I'll use Hondabond to seal them.

If the rules allowed the gaskets to be open, i.e. Cometic for the heads then it will be hard to police the type of intake manifold gasket used. It seems to me that either the oem gasket or equivalent should be allowed or any substitute. This would allow the Hondata, or the Outlaw engineering one or any other custom piece. It doesn't matter to me,as long everyone is playing to the same rules. However, I don't think that only one aftermarket gasket (like the Hondata one) should be allowed either while cutting out other companies.

• 4 weeks later...
Ryan & I have discussed this. We will need to consult the other HC Regional Group leader to get a consensus. We hope to have this answered by early next week.

By chance, any news yet?

• 3 weeks later...

It definitely doesn't hurt to ask.

We (rules commitee) has been asked for it before. Didn't happen then. Doubt it will happen now. Not trying to be harsh. I am trying to be upfront.