Live from the Nationals!

JWL

Folks-

We're now at Mid Ohio and the Nats have started with two practice sessions complete. The weather is brilliant now, but we have some possibility of rain tomorrow and Saturday so it should be exciting.

If you'd like to see live video feed on Sunday, visit www.speedcasttv.com as we will have streaming feeds of some of the shots from the track for the big show. You can also see live timing results and hear Sunday's audio feed at http://drivenasa.com/liveresults. Not quite Speed Channel yet, but you will still be able to follow the action.

As for AIX times thus far, Paul Faessler just burned off a 1:28.360 with Ernesto Roco and Chris Griswold not far behind in AIX. Andy Sutak has found some speed as well with a whopping 16 second improvement over his previous session. Mickey Remen is also coming up to speed as he warms up.

AI looks like a fair fight with Chris DeSalvo out front followed by Robin Burnett, Ryan Walton, Tommy Schlender, and Matt White in the top five. Fast time so far is Ryan Walton's 1:36.260 mark from the first morning practice.

I'll have more updates for you all later as time permits.

-JWL

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryan Rogers

• pederb

• JWL

• Tommy55

Top Posters In This Topic

Update after the third and final Thursday practice.

Unfortunately, the session ended early when Brian Long's #01 AIX Mid Coast Performance car suffered major fire damage when a fuel system component failed and engulfed the front of the car in flames. Brian was able to exit without a problem as the cockpit was fully protected from the fire, but the car was extra crispy despite the best efforts of the safety crew. The crew reported they were going to press on regardless with a new parts enroute from the MCP shop.

For the short time the group was on track, in AI Jay Andrew took a crack at Ryan Walton's fast time and missed it by .001 with a 1:36.261 time. Matt White also broke into the 36's to tighten up the field even further. The AIX field continued to try to break into the 20's with Ernesto Roco just shy of getting close to Paul Faessler 1:28 with another low 1:30.

The drivers will have their first meeting tonight and then return to the track tomorrow just after 8 a.m. With the approaching storm front, it might be a little interesting...

-JWL

There are going to be great races in both AI and AIX. I was on the hill outside the keyhole most of the day and it looked like fun with guys running very close for a Friday. Looked like everyone was feeling out the competition...I really think the Championship's are open...no clear pick yet.

Sidney

AI #64

(spectator-broke motor @ RA)

Woohoo, I got the OK to go today! Save me a spot on the hill at the keyhole.

It's 320 miles from Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

The story for Friday was in line with the top stories on the national news today-the weather. The rain moved in overnight and continued for the balance of the day with heavy rain during both practice and qualifying but slightly better conditions for the race.

Practice was slick and cold with Chris Griswold managing the best time of 2:27 with Team Cooke/Melkowits, Tommy Schlender, Chris DeSalvo and Beau Dunnivant in the 2:35 range as the field had to creep around with awful visibility from the standing water on course.

Qualifying saw Chris Griswold take top time overall with a 2:08. Rusty Ferguson captured P2 overall and the AI pole with Dave Schotz, Robin Burnett, and Todd Rogers just a few clicks behind. Most of the AIX field stayed in the paddock to save their rides for the big show on Sunday betting on dry conditions that would allow them to streak through the field.

The race was a split start with the AIX field of Griswold, Roco, Sutak, and Johns leading the AI field. The AIX field got away clean with the AI field in hot pursuit. As the group approached the Carousel turn, Roco and Sutak exited to the pits in order to again preserve their rides in some clear track after the AI field. This gave Griswold free license to cruise to the win and Johns ended up in the paddock when the visibility went away on his Firebird which put Roco and Sutak in P2 and P3 for the finishing order in AIX.

The AI battle was fierce with Dave Schotz surging ahead along with Robin Burnett, Rusty Ferguson, and David Algozine staying in the chase. Jay Andrew also challenged but had a big off that took him out of contention early on. Todd Rogers also did some agricultural work while Schotz began to pull a gap on Ferguson and Burnett with David Donovan moving up the order to P4. Burnett managed to overtake Ferguson and closed on Schotz but the HP234 sponsored Firebird stayed out front to take the win for the General over the Blue Oval. Schotz’s victory was even more remarkable in that he literally sprinted to the grid from the CMC race where he also notched a solid finish. The order ended with a line up of Burnett, Ferguson, Donovan, and Algozine rounding out the top five. Ferguson took a trip to the dyno where his #22 Steeda Mustang passed with flying colors to make the day’s results official.

Saturday will see a repeat of Friday’s schedule with the competitors looking to accrue more points to secure their grid positions for Sunday’s big show. Saturday’s weather is still looking a bit murky but Sunday is looking a bit better as the clouds blow out across the Eastern Seaboard.

I’d like to offer my thanks to all the competitors today as they did a simply fantastic job on track and worked as a team to put on a great show despite all of the challenges they faced.

More to come tomorrow…

-JWL

Andy has a 1999+ SN95 with full Griggs, one of the best looking AI/X cars ever.

It's Black and Red and Andy is a former Time Trailer

Andy's car is one of the best looking cars. He is still doing Time Trial full time and is in the lead in the NorCal TTU championship.

Saturday saw more rain in the morning sessions, but the weather was clear and the track dry for the final qualifying race. Rusty Ferguson started on the pole for AI with Chris Griswold on point for AIX. The AIX field took the green, but contact between Andy Sutak and Paul Faessler left Faessler stranded partially on track and a disqualification for Sutak after the race.

The close timing of the AI split start prevented a wave off, so the course went yellow just after the start of the AI pack which resulted in some confusion and passing under yellow as the pack came through the back section of the course. After a lap under control of the pace car, the race resumed with the track clear. Ernesto Roco and Chris Griswold had a great battle for the win in AIX with Griswold working through traffic and coming out on top with Mickey Remen taking the third position followed by Leo Capaladi.

Unfortunately, after the end of the race many penalties had to be issued for the passing under yellow in AI which shifted the finish order significantly and elevated David Algozine to the first position with Team Cooke/Melkowits, Mark Luna, and Landon Ball in the next few spots.

The grid for the National Championship race is now set and the race will go off at 2:00 p.m. EST. The forecast calls for clear sky now with a chance of some storms moving in for the afternoon, so the weather could again be a factor.

Good luck to all the racers and remember to follow the race online as we determine our National Champions for 2008.

-JWL

Quick update before the race.

Weather looks like it's going to hold with high winds and remnants of Ike on the horizon and on the radar near Indianapolis. Mickey Remen had a rear suspension component let go at top speed on the back straight which sent him into the wall twice and then sideways into China Beach. The #41 did a slow roll onto its lid and Mickey was able to get out on his own with little more than a sore checkbook.

More news after the race....

-JWL

I'm confused - why did Roco and Sutak exit the track right before the race started?

And pardon my ignorance, but who is Sutak? Anyone have pics of his car?

Ernesto and Andy left the track briefly to avoid the other cars out there. The track was dangerously wet and most everyone spun or went off track at least once including Ernesto and Andy.

The inside noses of the cars looked like they belonged on the groundskeeping crew equipment, full of grass and mud when they returned from the first wet attempt.

No use pushing cars like those in wet conditions. They are not made to compete in the wet.

Andys car is an 04 Cobra with an LS2.

It's been completly rebuilt recently because he totalled it in the rain on the track in Nor-Cal a while back. A very good example of why they ducked out to let others by.

I have a ton of pics and vids of the 2 cars (I was part of the pit crew for them) that I am transferring from my camera now.

I'll post some when I get them all sorted out.

Folks-

Sorry for the delay-will have a report up this afternoon but suffice to say we had a wild bit of weather after the race. Congrats to a truly great group of racers and my thanks to all of them as they made the show possible.

Stay tuned...

-JWL

I do believe it was built up a little to about 500 on the dyno.

It blew at the race and caused the yellow flag to go out and that's how the race ended under caution.

I think Ernesto had a good chance of catching Feassler if the yellow wasn't out. Ernesto had faster lap times.