2009 Nationals in Utah?

116svvh

I have no problem with NASA moving the Nationals out west for a couple years. It's only fair. The problem is that there appear to be no GTS cars to compete against. That's it. If there were 50 west coast GTS racers lining up to take on the east coasters, I'd be there and would be crazy excited about it. I almost towed to MM last year for the PCA race but ended up doing Barber with the SE region instead. I don't have anything against the idea, it is just that GTS needs a chance to grow out there.

I have volunteered to take a well paid job as the GTS coordinator for CA. I am thinking maybe headquartered in Carmel by the Sea. I am still waiting to hear back about my salary request.

John, I'll pay you twice as much as i get.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bmw22

• benny

• 116svvh

• 911.racer

Mark, I do not have an issue with you or your leadership, just that any one with a GTS type car west of the mississippi need to look at a new class for racing. Maybe a new national level GTR classes could be open with NASA so all GTS would have a national race.

I may be a honda guy, only because right now there's no point of building a gts if you are leave of the west 2/3 of the country.

I trully beleive that GTS is a good series, would be nice to see it becoming a real national level series.

Benny

Benny,

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? If the 95% of GTS drivers make the trek to Miller, will you and your So Cal friends suddenly start driving GTS? OR Should you and your friends start driving GTS so the 95% of current GTS drivers have a reason to trek out West? Also, just because there may be GTS cars in the West how does Mark know that any of you will show up to Nationals?

Wow, you own a Porsche, so do I. Mine is becoming a GTS car. I will drive in GTS in the future, so I interject my opinion. If Mark and the current drivers ignore me, that's fine. I have not participated in an event or proven anything to them. If I want them to listen, I have to build the car and race. You seem to feel that they should listen and help you for no reason. You're acting like you are entitled.

I fully understand the fact that there is no point of crossing the country to race the same guys you race every weekend at home.

I've been looking at GTS for the past 3 years, and it's seems like it's a hard core east cost series, and the feeling is that there is little motivation to expand to the west.

yes it's not easy. GTS has a great opportunity, and it's a well design series.

It would have been great to see the first post talking about "is there a potential for going to Utah", versus we are not going.

it's like a mariage, sometime you have to listen to the other side !! LOL

Benny

HA,

Anyone who wants to know if we are an elitist group needs to get a pic of the Clark/Barr/Striet camp at nationals. With the rain and the mud you could not get in or out without your hip waders.

I think we should watch 944 cup and buddy up with them. Some of our guys might want to supersize.

Ed

Hey, I live in ND, so I'm haulin' big time whereever it is. I'd hate to see it right on either of the coasts though - just soooo far to tow.

I'll be in either place next year, and Mark just ask if you need any help.

Edited by Guest

It seems to me that if you want a west GTS then someone needs to work to make that happen. I know Mark makes a big salary but he would need at least twice as much to get the West coast organized; LMAO

I fully understand the fact that there is no point of crossing the country to race the same guys you race every weekend at home.

I've been looking at GTS for the past 3 years, and it's seems like it's a hard core east cost series, and the feeling is that there is little motivation to expand to the west.

yes it's not easy. GTS has a great opportunity, and it's a well design series.

It would have been great to see the first post talking about "is there a potential for going to Utah", versus we are not going.

it's like a mariage, sometime you have to listen to the other side !! LOL

Benny

Look, We gave this thing one hell of a go in 2005, 06 and 07. We were in pretty regular contact with a good number of drivers, entries from the West side, we had two individuals that volunteered to become North and South Cal GTS Directors. Back here in Ohio, we were getting real excited about the possibilities. We knew that there was a plethora of eligible cars in California alone. What we could not stir up was any interest from the Two Heads of State. They really looked at GTS (at the time) like it was a cold cup of pee! Without the interest of the Region Directors (aka National Administrators), there was no way that the series could be built. The two GTS Directors could turn to nobody but us way back east to help build an idea into a strong reality. Put yourself in their shoes for a minute, beating a dead horse, as they watched full fields of POC and BMWCC cars circulating on the very same track on the very same weekend that they we attempting to sell the Great GTS Series. This is real reason why the GTS deal is not strong outside of Mid to Eastern region. At this time, Texas was really just starting, Rocky did not exist (and neither did MM!) We did, and I thank NASA for, gain a National Class status, based on the cars that were showing up over three regions, which, we knew, and they new, could easily fill a run group in the innaugral Championship. The desire has always been there for this to be not only a true multi coast, all region series, but, beyond that, THE ABSOLUTE BEST series in NASA.

The National Coordinator/Director is not subsidized. He can't be expected to travel to west coast regional races to push this cause. It just can't happen. He has tried his best up to this point. What is needed, is a few people to band together out there, as some of us originally banded here, get off their duff, and work the series and sell its rule set and prove the close competition, the closest competition available, to all the people racing in the above mentioned groups. People that race German cars are an odd bit different, we understand the pedigree, we understand that there is an inter-marque rivalry, we undserstand we have some of the best prepared, best looking amateur race cars. Once the ball starts rolling, I can guarantee you that it will take off to high extremes in California. And the fields will be full, and there won't need to be a fear of lost revenue for the regions.

WOW, I needed to say that for a long, long time!

Well said, Carl. This topic has gone around the bush a dozen or more times and it keeps coming back to the fact there are, for all intents and purposes, no GTS cars on the west coast. Five cars at one race doesn't really do much in a group with five classes ("Come to GTS where EVERYBODY IS A WINNER!").

Until there is a large enough west coast contingent, there's really no point in having everybody from the east coast and mid-west drive all the way west.

As Carl said, build the series, get real car counts and THEN let's talk about doing something out your way.

You are all the reasons why I'm not running with PCA or POC any more, sad to see you guys having the same attitude with NASA.

benny

With all due respect Benny, you're talking out of your posterior. GTS is about as far from PCA as one can get... Frankly I'm a bit dissapointed that someone who's clearly never spent ANY time around the GTS encampment would pass such judgement... If you spent time in the GTS BierGarten I'm sure you'd feel differently. I find it ironic that you insinuate that we are elitist or somehow privledged as you are name dropping GT3RS's, Nurburging, SPA, etc... Anyone here in GTS own a GT3RS? Ever traveled to race in Europe? (Sasha doesn't count, he lived there). I'm not saying you are, but you're certainly portraying some of the things that keeps many of US out of PCA.

Yes, it is a Nationals... ...NASA Nationals and they are entitled to hold it anywhere... However with no GTS cars in that region, why shouldn't we hold it out here? Are you suggesting 60 of us should spend an extra $3000 on top of the money we already spend on Nationals on the slim chance that 1 or 2 or *gasp* FIVE GTS cars from the west coast show up for it? Do you realize how ludicrous that is?

Mark has continually asked, in response to questions about GTS on the west-coast, for someone to step up out there and help build the series. So far no takers. I think it's fair to ask for some commitment from the region before we all make the trek out there don't you? If you REALLY want to evaluate and promote GTS on the west coast, Mark, myself, and the other directors will buy you a beer, ogle your RS, and help you as much as we can. So channel some of that fire and step up... ...or simmer down.

Chris,

I feel I need to set the record straight: I confess, I have attended a race in Europe. Lemans. It was when I was working in the Netherlands and I slept in my Mini One (if you don’t know what that is, think Mini Cooper with no options and 100hp).

However, I race a 924 with dents, so I think that offsets my European racing spectator career.

Also, I saw a GT3RS once. The security guards quickly redirected my attention.

You know boys and girls ... after thinking alittle ( dangerous) , If we really want the west coast to build into a GTS area... why not go out to Utah with strong group of racers and show some folks how to have fun. As I have said before I am going, running in some series if GTS does not go,,, and will also participate in GTS if they do there own thing... so means nothing to me either way... just a thought.

Before everyone jumps on this ... lots of GTS racers travel $ long way to Ohio. There are several ways to do it somewhat affordable. Here in NC we have rented a big rig towed 5 and 6 cars split the cost and either driven or flown up to race. If folks want to make utah it can be worked out. Now , if you live close to Mid Ohio it is obvious nothing is going ease the sting of travel cost. I know I have spent lots of money going to MOhio... I can easily make Utah.

fc

I admit I have never raced at Miller,,,, but I have to say, the track looks quite boring. Appears to be one large Autocross course. No real elevation changes to speak of. Boooorrrinnnggggg.....

Mark has not resigned from GTS. There seems to be a very strong difference of viewpoints at this moment in time between NASA and GTS. While this is all being sorted out, I will probably be the person answering a number of posts concerning the series. GTS is fine, GTS will most likely be retaining race dates with NASA regions, but, GTS may be moving in other directions as well. As this is the case, at this moment in time, there is just not much more I can say at the risk of being removed as well.

Mark has not resigned from GTS.

Are you sure?

http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24198

Yes, the info below is cut and pasted from the GTS challenge website

"Mark Barr did NOT resign as National Coordinator of GTS Challenge.

The national leadership of NASA has decided to steal GTS Challenge. They are under the delusion that they own GTS Challenge and that I have been a NASA official for the past several years. GTS Challenge will continue to race with the local NASA regions, but will not be a NASA National class or a participant in any NASA National event, including the 2009 Championships in Utah. NASA National is in direct violation of US Copyright laws, and legal proceedings are forth coming. This is a result of GTS beginning the planning stages of holding our own championship somewhere in the east half of the country where 99.9% of all GTS racers reside. "

Interesting, well I hope you will still run Nationals when its at Mid Ohio. I have a lot of friends in GTS and I'll be disappointed if we are at seperate events. On the other hand it will give me a chance to crew for my friends. Guess we'll just see how it pans out.

Hard to read the 'other side of the story' when the forums are passworded

Its quick and easy to create an account. All you have to give is your e-mail, screen name and password.

Sounds like a power struggle to me. I hope it all gets figured out and GTS continues on the great path its on. (w/o any major changes)