Wonger's Race Recap

Eric W.

• Members

After pulling double duty and "supersizing" into PTA, and waiting all day to run GTS, it was worth it. Had a blast racing with all the GTS guys. Sunday's start was MUCH better paced than the day before. Had a decent start, but Dayton got around me. Me and Mike battled for a little bit before I got around.

Jay Matus laid down the pressure hard for a while, then backed off. I presumed he anticipated that I could overheat my tires, and he was right. Well, he made a resurgence towards the end and nearly got me. Ended up 3rd in GTS3 and was happy to be on podium w/ Scott Berkowitz and Randy Mueller, though now my suit reeks of champagne!!! I wish I coulda been closer and raced with them too!

Video:

PTA race was fun as well. I was racing a Honda Prelude driven by John Schmitt and a C4 Corvette driven by Matt Carlyle. Matt got around John early on, and attempted an inside pass but went in hot and ended up in CHina Beach. John had his sights set on me but I was keeping a good pace. Then we hit ST2 traffic. Got slowed down in a few corners and John ended up right behind me. Trying to get an ST2 Evo inbetween us, I went into the keyhole hot and tapped sides That was just enough for John to get around me. Worked my hardest to get back around, but it wasnt going to happen. That little Prelude would pull out of corners and the only place I had him was the back straight, but yellow there prevented a pass! Finished 2nd in PTA.

Video:

Thanks to the Hoosier guys for totally supporting us and being out there all weekend! Also to all the other contingency sponsors (Bimmerworld, Carbotech, Brakeswap , CDOC, UUC) and finally thanks to RRT as always for the support trackside. Couldnt have podium'd without them!