2009 Rules

Tom A

Late last year when I was complaining yet again about delay in publishing the 2008 rules, Greg posted this:

You may or may not appreciate that I fully intend on releasing plans for the '09 rules in May '08. We are still debating these changes so that is all I have to say about them now.

May has long since come and gone, and the Nationals are over, can we get an idea of the planned rule changes for next year?

Thanks,

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• Shawn M.

• Tom A

• Members
Late last year when I was complaining yet again about delay in publishing the 2008 rules, Greg posted this:

You may or may not appreciate that I fully intend on releasing plans for the '09 rules in May '08. We are still debating these changes so that is all I have to say about them now.

May has long since come and gone, and the Nationals are over, can we get an idea of the planned rule changes for next year?

Thanks,

EXACTLY!! Ive been bugging Greg about getting the rules out for the last couple months, reminding him of what he said but are still with a few snags that keep us from posting them. Once theyre cleared up they should be published and im predicting a date no later than thanksgiving. Keeping in mind, im a nobody with NASA so my word here means absolutely nothing. Im giving my best medical opinion here.

hopefully the changes are evolutionary and not revolutionary....

I, of course, would like to see more base tire in the TTA/TTB classes to keep up with the newer stuff on the market...

nah, probably easier/less noticeable to drop an asterix off the SRT4 only 2 people drive them

Hey.... There are at least 4 running in NASA that I know of.....

Of course no two are in the same region!

maybe we can get the on-line car classifier up this year!

For all the "Nay-Sayers" out there, I want you to know that I have heard from a very reliable source that it will be up and running no later than mid-summer of '07!

maybe we can get the on-line car classifier up this year!

For all the "Nay-Sayers" out there, I want you to know that I have heard from a very reliable source that it will be up and running no later than mid-summer of '07!

^^^^^ ^^^^^ 07 FUNNY

Of coarse they could post them now with no changes and be done with it.

[quote name="Monster8V

EXACTLY!! Ive been bugging Greg about getting the rules out for the last couple months' date=' reminding him of what he said but are still with a few snags that keep us from posting them. Once theyre cleared up they should be published and im predicting a date no later than thanksgiving. Keeping in mind, im a nobody with NASA so my word here means absolutely nothing. Im giving my best medical opinion here. [/quote]

Post up the snags as poles, we all vote on them. Done!

Everyone can feel that they contrubuted, and we all feel very democratic.

[quote name="Monster8V

EXACTLY!! Ive been bugging Greg about getting the rules out for the last couple months' date=' reminding him of what he said but are still with a few snags that keep us from posting them. Once theyre cleared up they should be published and im predicting a date no later than thanksgiving. Keeping in mind, im a nobody with NASA so my word here means absolutely nothing. Im giving my best medical opinion here. [/quote]

I view most sanctioning bodies as an oligarchy.

EXACTLY!! Ive been bugging Greg about getting the rules out for the last couple months, reminding him of what he said but are still with a few snags that keep us from posting them. Once theyre cleared up they should be published and im predicting a date no later than thanksgiving. Keeping in mind, im a nobody with NASA so my word here means absolutely nothing. Im giving my best medical opinion here.

No spelling/grammar checkers in CA, huh?

No spelling/grammar checkers in CA, huh?

No use for them here.

What's the word on tire points? This year, Toyo RA1 were rated at +5 points, and neatly allowed those of us near the top of our class (TTA) to avoid the plunge into TTS. However, I feel that these tires will rapidly be replaced with the newer R888, which is rated much higher (points-wise). Will the R888 be rated lower in points to fill the gap left by the departure of the RA-1? Or will we be left with the current situation and have to muddle something out? It makes a huge difference, for those of us that are in TTA and don't want to move up into the weight:HP classes.

Were it me, I would simply downrank the R888 to +5 points (along with the RA1) and call it done. If this forum is for proposals, consider that mine. THanks for your time.

Texas TTA #41

What's the word on tire points? This year, Toyo RA1 were rated at +5 points, and neatly allowed those of us near the top of our class (TTA) to avoid the plunge into TTS. However, I feel that these tires will rapidly be replaced with the newer R888, which is rated much higher (points-wise). Will the R888 be rated lower in points to fill the gap left by the departure of the RA-1? Or will we be left with the current situation and have to muddle something out? It makes a huge difference, for those of us that are in TTA and don't want to move up into the weight:HP classes.

Were it me, I would simply downrank the R888 to +5 points (along with the RA1) and call it done. If this forum is for proposals, consider that mine. THanks for your time.

Texas TTA #41

They made the NT01 a 7 point tire...R888 is about the same - make them both 5

also TTA trying to stay there

And the dot slicks can take the 888 spot to +7 , RIGHT

I don't think I understand. Or perhaps I didn't communicate well enough.

RA1 will be harder to come by soon. Tire technology in general is improving. It makes sense to move tires that were the hot thing last year down every other year or so.

Slicks? Slicks are insane. Slicks, if you can master the heat curve, are worth every point.

RA1 will be harder to come by soon. Tire technology in general is improving. It makes sense to move tires that were the hot thing last year down every other year or so.

Slicks? Slicks are insane. Slicks, if you can master the heat curve, are worth every point.

He said DOT slick, by which I assume he means Hooser R6/Kumho V710.

Seems to me that having Nitto NT01, and Toyo R888 the same points as an R1 makes sense. I hear from a lot of people that a full tread NT01 or 888 is about the same speed as a shaved R1.

Speaking of changes Greg, can I run my Rabbit GTI 1.8L (TT/PTG* @ 2120lbs) as a Rabbit 1.7L (TT/PTH** @ 2046lbs) if I take points for everything different between trim levels? (Cam, head, tranny, sway bars, +4% displacement)

And the dot slicks can take the 888 spot to +7 , RIGHT

It makes more sense to classify new items as they come to be, not re-classify every old piece as they age.

It makes more sense to classify new items as they come to be, not re-classify every old piece as they age.
The problem with that is when you build your car for the pointy end of your class, you do it with the points you plan on spending on tires. You build for RA1s, but next year Toyo drops them. Welcome to the next higher class.

Tires keep getting better, does that mean that the next generation of every tire should automatically be more points? In a few years, the RA1 equivalent would be 10 points, the Hoosier/V710 will be 20.

I think the categories for DOT tires now make sense: Free, +5, +7, +10. Which tires fit in each of those groups is what should change as tire technology improves. I guarantee you in 5 years the "Free" street tire will be better than the current choices.

Tires keep getting better, does that mean that the next generation of every tire should automatically be more points? In a few years, the RA1 equivalent would be 10 points, the Hoosier/V710 will be 20.

I think the categories for DOT tires now make sense: Free, +5, +7, +10. Which tires fit in each of those groups is what should change as tire technology improves. I guarantee you in 5 years the "Free" street tire will be better than the current choices.

You are proving my point. The tire points need to be kept relative to the other modifications, not relative to other tires. For the exact reason you pointed out above.

so long as the points before you move up a class changes accordingly

(/pot stir)

tires are an item that it makes sense to re-evaluate and "age" yearly to me... other items not so much