• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• Shawn M.

• Greg G.

RA-1 and R888 seem about the same performance, in my experience.

The World Challenge drivers seem to agree. The NT-01 has been pretty much proven to be faster than the Toyo. The R888 however should still be a +5 tire.

The World Challenge drivers seem to agree. The NT-01 has been pretty much proven to be faster than the Toyo. The R888 however should still be a +5 tire.

I agree 100%. So how do we make it official?

I sure hope this isn't "welcome to the next higher class". I don't have the money to run TTS. Pure weight to HP class? Too much of a money game for me.

Probably more points assest to the s2000 for TT

Congrats on your win this year.

We're seeing it here; maybe you are, too. The later AP2's are definitely faster than AP1's, all things being equal. Despite the Honda-stated numbers, real world dynos are bearing this out. Stock aero on AP2's is reportedly 5% better than AP1's as well. The S2000 is quite a competent machine, however, if any changes are made point-wise, hopefully MY's will be considered.

It sure would be nice to have these asap, as we are looking to change the setup for next season...

It also doesn't help that they season opener is JANUARY 31st!! We don't have a lot of time to work with.

It sure would be nice to have these asap, as we are looking to change the setup for next season...

It also doesn't help that they season opener is JANUARY 31st!! We don't have a lot of time to work with.

Our first event is a week later at CMP in Feb 09...

Our first event is a week later at CMP in Feb 09...

When do we get to see the SE schedule? I need to start planning!

It has been a month since I posted this. The lack of any sort of acknowledgment is a little distressing.

I would think Greg would post just to tell me to F.O.

I am serious about the Rabbit question though:

Can I run my Rabbit GTI 1.8L (TT/PTG* @ 2120lbs) as a Rabbit 1.7L (TT/PTH** @ 2046lbs) if I take points for everything different between trim levels? (Cam, head, tranny, sway bars, +4% displacement).

Now that I think about it, I should also take points for springs and shocks too, they are probably different as well. The 1.7 was slightly lower compression, 8.2 vs 8.5:1, so that falls under the free mods. Any compression increase points would be based on the lower number of course.

• National Staff
It has been a month since I posted this. The lack of any sort of acknowledgment is a little distressing.

I would think Greg would post just to tell me to F.O.

I am serious about the Rabbit question though:

Can I run my Rabbit GTI 1.8L (TT/PTG* @ 2120lbs) as a Rabbit 1.7L (TT/PTH** @ 2046lbs) if I take points for everything different between trim levels? (Cam, head, tranny, sway bars, +4% displacement).

Now that I think about it, I should also take points for springs and shocks too, they are probably different as well. The 1.7 was slightly lower compression, 8.2 vs 8.5:1, so that falls under the free mods. Any compression increase points would be based on the lower number of course.

Tom, I would never tell you to F.O. publicly

......Ok, or privately either.

Rules are being worked on.

No, you cannot do what you proposed above. Swap the head or the motor, and re-class by dyno testing.

Tom, I would never tell you to F.O. publicly

......Ok, or privately either.

Rules are being worked on.

Fair enough. Can you share what the holdup is? Can you give us any hint of proposed changes?

No, you cannot do what you proposed above. Swap the head or the motor, and re-class by dyno testing.
Can you elaborate on why they are classed so differently? Does the GTI get dinged for the somewhat improved suspension over stock? The cars are pretty similar to have a 14 point and 74 lbs advantage for 66ccs, .3 of compression, and a slightly improved tranny.

I agree 100%. So how do we make it official?

I sure hope this isn't "welcome to the next higher class". I don't have the money to run TTS. Pure weight to HP class? Too much of a money game for me.

Has there been any more thought on this? I'll be in need of new tires (currently running 255/50-16 Proxes RA1s and taking +5 for the compound and +4 for the width) around the start of the season in January, and I'm maxed out on TTD points as the car sits right now. If the RA1s are scarce or not available by then, and knowing that Nitto does not make this tire size in their NT555RII (the only other +5 tire compound), then I'll either have to step up to R888s (and be hit with +2 more points) or drop back to something with treadwear above 130 (and get my 5 compound points back as the car slips and slides). I could always just add 30 lbs to the car to get 2 weight points back to compensate for the R888s (I'm underweight now), but I'd rather not.

As with most of us, I'm not able or trying to spend cubic dollars, which is why I need to plan everything far in advance.

Mark

I could always just add 30 lbs to the car to get 2 weight points back to compensate for the R888s (I'm underweight now), but I'd rather not.
While I certainly agree that the 888 should be a 5 point tire, I can't see 30 lbs on a 3200 lb car doing much for you. If it was me, I would just put 4 more gallons of gas in the tank. That is probably where you want the weight anyway, low and in the back.

While I certainly agree that the 888 should be a 5 point tire, I can't see 30 lbs on a 3200 lb car doing much for you. If it was me, I would just put 4 more gallons of gas in the tank. That is probably where you want the weight anyway, low and in the back.

True, I could always just put 4 more gallons in the tank, but I'm not a fan of using a variable as ballast. If I'm counting on those 4 gallons being in there to make my "minimum competition weight" (lowest weight during any competition session, which is presumably when you come off track and the fuel load is light), and I run it down to a gallon or two left in the tank during a hot-n-heavy track session (and everybody knows how accurate those Ford fuel gauges are), then I'm lighter than I should be, which will gain me at least 1 more modification point, which technically takes my maxed-out TTD car and makes it a low-end TTC car. True, nobody at the local TT level weighs cars after every track session (or do they?), but I'm trying to keep my car as "honest" as possible.

If absolutely necessary, I installed a trunk-mounted battery box but I haven't moved the battery back there yet. I have a spare/DOA yellow-top Optima (45 lbs) that I could bolt in there to take care of 3 points. This won't be a problem in a few months when 50 lbs of AC gear comes out of the car and 100 lbs of roll cage goes back in, but I have an event or two between now and then.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
Probably more points assest to the s2000 for TT

Congrats on your win this year.

We're seeing it here; maybe you are, too. The later AP2's are definitely faster than AP1's, all things being equal. Despite the Honda-stated numbers, real world dynos are bearing this out. Stock aero on AP2's is reportedly 5% better than AP1's as well. The S2000 is quite a competent machine, however, if any changes are made point-wise, hopefully MY's will be considered.

MORE WEIGHT! +1000 lbs for every time you get the biggest picture in a magazine. Its a nice shot by the way.

MORE WEIGHT! +1000 lbs for every time you get the biggest picture in a magazine. Its a nice shot by the way.

I was wondering what he gave the GRM guys for that - we all know how "bizness" is conducted in Florida...

True, nobody at the local TT level weighs cars after every track session (or do they?), but I'm trying to keep my car as "honest" as possible.

You can and probably will be weighed. Need to be ready for it.

If I'm counting on those 4 gallons being in there to make my "minimum competition weight" (lowest weight during any competition session, which is presumably when you come off track and the fuel load is light), and I run it down to a gallon or two left in the tank during a hot-n-heavy track session (and everybody knows how accurate those Ford fuel gauges are), then I'm lighter than I should be, which will gain me at least 1 more modification point, which technically takes my maxed-out TTD car and makes it a low-end TTC car.

This is exactly my situation and it sucks. I need to have 1/4 tank when I come off the track or I may not make weight. It depends on the scales. I will usually roll over the scales before competition starts and figure it out from there.

But if you don't have to do this, don't. One less thing to worry about.

Patrick

You can and probably will be weighed. Need to be ready for it.

Your local TT group might, but mine doesn't. That doesn't keep me from weighing the car on my own just to make sure I'm being honest, though.

Mark

I don't recall seeing any permanent scales at Sebring or Homestead (the balance beam types or otherwise), although that doesn't mean that they aren't there somewhere. Interestingly enough, there's an AI guy and HPDE tech official who brings his own scales but is generally too lazy to take them out of his truck.

Mark

I don't recall seeing any permanent scales at Sebring or Homestead (the balance beam types or otherwise), although that doesn't mean that they aren't there somewhere. Interestingly enough, there's an AI guy and HPDE tech official who brings his own scales but is generally too lazy to take them out of his truck.

Mark

NASA-SE has Longacre scales I think...we set them up sometimes.