2009 Rules

Tom A

I can see allowing #7, since it would take way too much effort to effectively police that kind of thing (electronic trickery, that is), so just say "to hell with it" and let everybody go ahead and do it...kinda like traction control in professional racing a few years ago.

Mark

which is great for F1 teams with unlimited budgets

and we've had ways to catch ECU stuff before ex - the Pat Lindsey Audi in 2007 Nats being the "big one"

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• Shawn M.

• Greg G.

little bit of rules creep there...

specifically:

7 ) ECU reprogramming and chips are now a No-Points modification. The OEM ECU/PCM box/housing/hardware must be used, though.

8 ) Similarly, SAFC’s and VAFC’s, and altered sensor inputs are No-Points mods.

12 ) Front and rear strut tower bars with two attachment points are No-Points mods. This includes bars built into a cage.

guess I'll be buying a few items to keep up with the Jones's now I saw the thread on the integrated strut tower bar stuff, but whats the justification for #7 & #8 being open suddenly??

What's not cool about that is that(as pertains to the S2000) 2007 & up can be reflashed. Earlier models cannot be. I've had a VAFC before for my S. The gains were very minimal, especially when compared to the 2007+ MY's.

I'm new to the game and will forego giving my unsolicited opinion(s) until I see the entire set of rules. It's not like I'm going to run out and spend any big bucks to get an edge. Hell, with the economy and where it's heading, I'd rather save my money just to ensure that I can attend events.

Well joy, the Evo guys just got the pickle. As my car sits right now maxed out for TTB I have been promoted to TTA (thanks Greg) by 9 points (+5 for forced induction and +4 for EDFC controller). Going to TTA and being competitive is going to cost a bundle of money. Firstly, I need 375 hp to the wheels which should not be bad cost wise, but a big brake kit (at 6K) to stop a 3300 lb car at those speeds and a new suspension at least $3500 is a ton of money. At 8.7 to 1 it will be a TTA car traveling at TTS speeds, which means a cage at least another $2500, and good buy daily driver.

The spirit of TT is to use everyday daily drivers not racecars. I drive my car everyday this is the reason why I have stayed in TTB. I minus well built a race car now, and if I do why TT when I can race. This is just stupid. I have no ECU flash, as Ken mentioned there are ways to check that, I feel as though we are getting punished for other peoples screw ups. I would like to see the logic behind the penalty for forced induction cars taking a point hit. I have had great battles with Dennis and his M3, my teammate Alex driving S2000 TTB car has given me a handful, I don't want to hear about other cars not being as competitive as my car. Dennis and his M3 has broken my records in Homestead and Road Atlanta so why the penalty. What other forced induction car has an advantage and in what class?

Sorry for venting guys but I am not a happy camper, I don’t need to be spending a bunch of money to play on the weekends once a month. If I did I would be racing.

I'm new to the game and will forego giving my unsolicited opinion(s) until I see the entire set of rules. It's not like I'm going to run out and spend any big bucks to get an edge. Hell, with the economy and where it's heading, I'd rather save my money just to ensure that I can attend events.

The PT rules are out, which use the same classing.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html

that ECU is a big deal actually - I didn't even think about what a gift-wrapped HUGE advantage that can be if taken advantage of properly for the turbo cars.

color me VERY not happy now...

I agree Ken, all it would take for my car is a boost controller, hard pipe kit, cold air intake, fuel pump, and a good flash and there you have it, all for less than probably $1500 bucks. But you still have to stop the damn thing and make it turn, and make it safe. As it is with the speeds that I hit in the back straight at Sebring going into a wall on 17 I should have a cage. With this type of horsepower there is no way around it. Oh and I forgot in my previous post big brake kit equals 18” wheels more money. I seriously would like some sort of explanation for these changes. For me to make this car nationally competitive in TTA and safe it would probably take about $15K and I would need a new daily driver. This is nuts, what’s the point hell I can build a competitive spec miata for that kind of money like most of my teammates.

• Members
For me to make this car nationally competitive in TTA and safe it would probably take about $15K and I would need a new daily driver. This is nuts, what’s the point hell I can build a competitive spec miata for that kind of money like most of my teammates.

Or, you can sell your car and with the 15K buy yourself a competitive Z06 and still have a DD! Im helping!

• National Staff
Well joy, the Evo guys just got the pickle. As my car sits right now maxed out for TTB I have been promoted to TTA (thanks Greg) by 9 points (+5 for forced induction and +4 for EDFC controller). Going to TTA and being competitive is going to cost a bundle of money. Firstly, I need 375 hp to the wheels which should not be bad cost wise, but a big brake kit (at 6K) to stop a 3300 lb car at those speeds and a new suspension at least $3500 is a ton of money. At 8.7 to 1 it will be a TTA car traveling at TTS speeds, which means a cage at least another $2500, and good buy daily driver.

The spirit of TT is to use everyday daily drivers not racecars. I drive my car everyday this is the reason why I have stayed in TTB. I minus well built a race car now, and if I do why TT when I can race. This is just stupid. I have no ECU flash, as Ken mentioned there are ways to check that, I feel as though we are getting punished for other peoples screw ups. I would like to see the logic behind the penalty for forced induction cars taking a point hit. I have had great battles with Dennis and his M3, my teammate Alex driving S2000 TTB car has given me a handful, I don't want to hear about other cars not being as competitive as my car. Dennis and his M3 has broken my records in Homestead and Road Atlanta so why the penalty. What other forced induction car has an advantage and in what class?

Sorry for venting guys but I am not a happy camper, I don’t need to be spending a bunch of money to play on the weekends once a month. If I did I would be racing.

Sorry Jimmy, but you are not playing fair here. First, you should re-read the post on how rules are made. Now, you can certainly thank me in part if your car got bumped to TTA because of reflash points, but it's not fair to the other folks involved in the process that you should also be crediting, including our fellow drivers. In fact, here is a portion of an e-mail that was sent to me at the end of last season by one of our better drivers:

I have a couple of questions on classification of my 2006 evo IX. As you know the base class is TTB, my car is the only one without any modifications. I have decided to spend some money to keep up with everyone else, however I want to do it correct. My first question is in reference to flashing (reprogramming) the ECU. It is clear in the classification form that for a forced induction engine it is, +10. However, there are some of the guys that attended the nationals that told me that no one takes the points because everyone is doing it. Logic dictates that if you have any kind of intake modification you need to flash the ECU to get maximum performance.

Does that sound familiar at all? This driver was saying as well that if you had intake and exhaust mods, it was not logical to not have a reflash. And, I have multiple other e-mails from this driver when he was thinking very seriously about bumping himself up to TTA anyway. And, he wasn't telling me about an $15,000 of mods necessary to do it, either.

I'm really not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that the spirit of TT is to use everyday daily drivers. You must be thinking about another TT series, because this one has been systematically formatted for modified and highly modified vehicles. This one was founded out of HPDE4, where at least where I visit, there seems to be at least 50% (or more) cars that are not daily drivers. Nowhere in the TT Rules (Intent or Purpose sections) does it mention "daily drivers", street legal, avoid cages and safety mods, keep your car smog legal, don't trailer your car, etc. Yes, we can fairly accommodate street legal cars, but it is certainly not the "spirit" of TT.

It is funny that in the same thread that you are asking for the logic of forced induction cars taking a points hit, Ken is complaining about the huge potential advantages that these changes supposedly can be for forced induction cars. Neither of you is on point. The five points for FI cars just keeps the current system on par, but does assume that ECU's will be reflashed. As well, there have been cries for years that FI cars should be getting more points. I don't think that you will be getting a lot of nat. aspirated owner sympathy on this one. And, if it is any consolation for you regarding the M3 that can beat you, the E36 and E46 M3's were two of the cars that got bumped by an asterisk.

Lastly, I don't want to sour your National Championship, but it seems to me that you just admitted that your car was not legal in TTB at the Championships. As you know, I was not the Race Director for your group, and did not look at any of your cars this year. You are lucky. Because if I had inspected your car on Saturday after the last TT session, and found that you had the undeclared EDFC, I would have had to D/Q all of your lap times. This modification was not listed in the TT Rules, and therefore was not legal. In fact, there is a small thread on these forums in '06 when we discussed it, and I gave a driver a temporary waiver to run the EDFC as +7 for the coilovers and +2 for the controller (back in '06, adjustable coilovers were +7 instead of the current +5 total). He never drove, and nobody brought it up again, and it never landed in the Official Rules. So, it was an illegal modification in '08.

If a modification is not specifically allowed by the rules, it is prohibited. A permitted item

cannot be modified to perform either a prohibited function, or the function of an item that would

otherwise be assessed points under the modification rules. Vehicle legality is the sole

responsibility of the driver.

Now, please don't tell me that it is of no benefit to be able to program in three different suspension setups, and have the ability to change them on the track (on the straights) during a given lap. Theoretically, you could have a different suspension setup for the Keyhole, Madness, and either the Carousel or Turn 1 at Mid-Ohio. Talk about optimizing your car for a hot lap!

Another lastly, I would like to thank all of those involved for bumping my car up to TTB (unless I detune or add weight). But, I see it as an opportunity to have some fun playing with the points and figure out a good TTB setup, or to step up my game if I detune and stay in TTC.

The PT rules are out, which use the same classing.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doh! Thanks. Looks like there is no need to curtail holiday eating... gotta pack on 40lbs more.

Looks like the the S2000 got punished to the tune of +3.3(weight increase) for AP1's and +6 for AP2's(class bump). I feel bad for the guys with '04-'06's. Not really. But the '07+ guys will definitely have an advantage over them with the reflashable ecu's.

Thanks for getting the rules out. Fortunately, I'll only need to make a few changes to my car.

I was just on the Tire Rack website and noticed a new tire listing for Kumho, the W710. I ask that they be included in the new ruleset to avoid issues as the season progresses.

Just reviewed the new regs and it seems, as always, it is a bittersweet experience.

I think the ECU rule gave me some points back from 2008 in the FRC since I did reflash it for a higher rpm limit with the better bolts in the bottom end.

Forced Induction cars will still be a compliance issue since the ability to adjust HP (by a significant margin vs NA cars) to beat a dyno check by programming will always be there.

A min wt C5 will not meet the TTB class of 10.25 to 1 (316.87 rwhp) without detuning or running heavy. Most stock LS1s come in at the 325-335 rwhp range. The 2004 LS1s are particularly strong.

Time Trial, and most especially, HPDE4 cars here in the southeast are mostly street legal cars - most are mildly modified from stock. The migration to track only cars is starting for TT in the SE. Not sure if it is an improvement but I saw that coming from the rule changes starting a few years back.

Having driven Sti's and Evo's on track - your brakes are on par with a C5 ZO6 and your awd is definitely better for grip. Wish I had a better base size tire to make up for it....but we all have our crosses to bear.

It does seem to take more care in setup, within the rules, to get on the podium and the right base car does seem to matter.

There are people who inadvertantly "break" the rules in TT and since we are all somewhat human it happens. In checking about 140 cars this year I saw mis-interpretation far more then intent to cheat. While I have had some people in a little bit of denial (what do you mean my Viper ACR/GT3 is not TTA?) I never had one argue, for long. Also, while I am a bit of a car nut, I am not sure of the stock shock numbers for a Nissan or even a Porsche versus a "better" one. Swapping from leaf to coilover is obvious - but putting Koni inserts (cleverly painted) in a 944 is easy to miss.

Since NASA allows ALL makes and models to compete it makes it a lot tougher to police - but it does give great diversity on the grid.

Really presents a dilemma, until I look in my wallet and realize, nope, no dilemma there.

SZMZM42.jpg

ready to burn up some of those illegal for TTA 315s on Monday at CMP?

Another lastly, I would like to thank all of those involved for bumping my car up to TTB (unless I detune or add weight). But, I see it as an opportunity to have some fun playing with the points and figure out a good TTB setup, or to step up my game if I detune and stay in TTC.

I thought your car was already detuned at Nationals.....to the point that it wouldn't even start w/out a jump or a push. Are you sure that Dodge will make it another season??

One note on the rules. Does it specifically say anywhere that items can be removed? Previous rules had the wording for interior, misc parts, etc....

WOW!

So these rules are for PTx also. Was planning on going PTB next.

I just got NAILED!

My 08 Evo X GSR just got hit-up for 12 points! 7 for the new Star and 5 for the FI. I already put a cage in mine, so there is no turning back.

So I guess its back to the drawing board...

Just curious as to logic behind taking points for Lexan front/rear wind screens. Isnt the purpose of lexan to reduce weight which we take points already for if we are below our base weight?

For me to make this car nationally competitive in TTA and safe it would probably take about $15K and I would need a new daily driver. This is nuts, what’s the point hell I can build a competitive spec miata for that kind of money like most of my teammates.

Or, you can sell your car and with the 15K buy yourself a competitive Z06 and still have a DD! Im helping!

With all due respect I beat most TTA Zo6's now and in TTA set up it would not even be close. But thanks for trying to help.

Sorry Jimmy, but you are not playing fair here. First, you should re-read the post on how rules are made. Now, you can certainly thank me in part if your car got bumped to TTA because of reflash points, but it's not fair to the other folks involved in the process that you should also be crediting, including our fellow drivers. In fact, here is a portion of an e-mail that was sent to me at the end of last season by one of our better drivers:

I have a couple of questions on classification of my 2006 evo IX. As you know the base class is TTB, my car is the only one without any modifications. I have decided to spend some money to keep up with everyone else, however I want to do it correct. My first question is in reference to flashing (reprogramming) the ECU. It is clear in the classification form that for a forced induction engine it is, +10. However, there are some of the guys that attended the nationals that told me that no one takes the points because everyone is doing it. Logic dictates that if you have any kind of intake modification you need to flash the ECU to get maximum performance.

Does that sound familiar at all? This driver was saying as well that if you had intake and exhaust mods, it was not logical to not have a reflash. And, I have multiple other e-mails from this driver when he was thinking very seriously about bumping himself up to TTA anyway. And, he wasn't telling me about an $15,000 of mods necessary to do it, either.

I'm really not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that the spirit of TT is to use everyday daily drivers. You must be thinking about another TT series, because this one has been systematically formatted for modified and highly modified vehicles. This one was founded out of HPDE4, where at least where I visit, there seems to be at least 50% (or more) cars that are not daily drivers. Nowhere in the TT Rules (Intent or Purpose sections) does it mention "daily drivers", street legal, avoid cages and safety mods, keep your car smog legal, don't trailer your car, etc. Yes, we can fairly accommodate street legal cars, but it is certainly not the "spirit" of TT.

It is funny that in the same thread that you are asking for the logic of forced induction cars taking a points hit, Ken is complaining about the huge potential advantages that these changes supposedly can be for forced induction cars. Neither of you is on point. The five points for FI cars just keeps the current system on par, but does assume that ECU's will be reflashed. As well, there have been cries for years that FI cars should be getting more points. I don't think that you will be getting a lot of nat. aspirated owner sympathy on this one. And, if it is any consolation for you regarding the M3 that can beat you, the E36 and E46 M3's were two of the cars that got bumped by an asterisk.

Lastly, I don't want to sour your National Championship, but it seems to me that you just admitted that your car was not legal in TTB at the Championships. As you know, I was not the Race Director for your group, and did not look at any of your cars this year. You are lucky. Because if I had inspected your car on Saturday after the last TT session, and found that you had the undeclared EDFC, I would have had to D/Q all of your lap times. This modification was not listed in the TT Rules, and therefore was not legal. In fact, there is a small thread on these forums in '06 when we discussed it, and I gave a driver a temporary waiver to run the EDFC as +7 for the coilovers and +2 for the controller (back in '06, adjustable coilovers were +7 instead of the current +5 total). He never drove, and nobody brought it up again, and it never landed in the Official Rules. So, it was an illegal modification in '08.

If a modification is not specifically allowed by the rules, it is prohibited. A permitted item

cannot be modified to perform either a prohibited function, or the function of an item that would

otherwise be assessed points under the modification rules. Vehicle legality is the sole

responsibility of the driver.

Now, please don't tell me that it is of no benefit to be able to program in three different suspension setups, and have the ability to change them on the track (on the straights) during a given lap. Theoretically, you could have a different suspension setup for the Keyhole, Madness, and either the Carousel or Turn 1 at Mid-Ohio. Talk about optimizing your car for a hot lap!

Firstly, I did not argue about the benefits of the EDFC in my original post, although that is not my intent and not why I have it or how I use it. As I mentioned my car is a daily driver, except for the nationals I drive my car to every event including to Road Atlanta a 10 hour trip. The controller enables me to soften the suspension to some degree for every day use. As it is, when I got to Atlanta I had to be peeled from the car. In fact I have NEVER used it in the manner that you described but I would certainly agree that it can be used that way. That being said, you know how meticulous I am about being legal with my car. As you mentioned in your post nowhere does it mention the EDFC in the ’08 rules. Unless, I misunderstood, what you are saying here is that if a modification is not specifically mentioned in the rules as allowed it is not? This important and I need clarification for my self as I am sure other competitors. I am quite sure that there are other items out there that are not mentioned and can be overlooked. In my case convenience was the reason for the EDFC and nothing else. In fact I could have got much better coilovers with the same money and decided against it simply because it was not convenient for a daily driver.

My consideration to run TTA was based on hearsay from others and my emails to you were to clarify the rules and squash any rumors and opinions with fact, before I made my decision to classify the car. Once you had done that, I was able to do my homework and realize that it was too costly to be in TTA as well as it did not fit into my needs of a daily driver. Coupled with the knowledge and the assurance, that people with illegal ECU flashes will be caught, I made my decision to stay in TTB. My point about daily drivers is that the spirit of TT is understood simply because it doesn’t make sense to build a dedicated track car and not race it, at least to me. Now I am sure that some of my fellow competitors will disagree but that is just my opinion. To the best of my understanding TT is suppose to be a bridge between DE and racing.

Lastly, I am certainly not arguing about the benefits the reclassification can have to my car. FI cars can now be TTA cars with TTS performance. I was merely venting on the cost of the modifications.

which is great for F1 teams with unlimited budgets

Well, it's not necessarily an issue of money. Nobody could seem to figure out what trickery was happening inside those black boxes enough to enforce the rules, so they likely threw their hands up and relaxed the rules so they could focus their time and efforts elsewhere; but, that was just an example.

As it applies to my low-rent TT setup, modifying the tune on the ECU for my naturally aspirated engine will probably get me 5-10 more hp, which isn't really all that much and is probably on the high end of factory power variations, weather fluctuations, ignition timing adjustments, etc. I might do it, might not, as my brakes and other components are woefully inadequate as it is.

Mark

With all due respect I beat most TTA Zo6's now and in TTA set up it would not even be close. But thanks for trying to help.

You sure about that Jimmy? http://mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=747647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I must admit I think the Evo and STi will be the cars to beat in TTA (and TTS) in 2009 and an Evo did take TTA National in 2008. I also see them being a very hard cars to police for compliance....

That being said, you know how meticulous I am about being legal with my car. As you mentioned in your post nowhere does it mention the EDFC in the ’08 rules. Unless, I misunderstood, what you are saying here is that if a modification is not specifically mentioned in the rules as allowed it is not? This important and I need clarification for my self as I am sure other competitors. I am quite sure that there are other items out there that are not mentioned and can be overlooked.

This is one of the hallmark rules of most of the NASA series. If it's not mentioned, it's not allowed. Simple as that. It's the 4th paragraph of the rules sheet.

Don't take this personally because it is not intended to be. I don't know you and didn't get to meet you at Nationals. But if you really were as meticulous as you say you would have noted it and gotten clarification on it. I must have gone through my form and my car a hundred times looking for anything I missed. I know other guys that have done the same thing too. I can understand why you feel you need one of those but IMO overlooking that device and not understanding this part of the rules is really bad. This is the foundation of what everything else is built on.

In my case convenience was the reason for the EDFC and nothing else. In fact I could have got much better coilovers with the same money and decided against it simply because it was not convenient for a daily driver.

I believe you when you say it wasn't intentional, but I don't think it matters in the end! It's the stuff like this that brings down the sport. How is this different from the Porsche at Nats who was running a modded crank without taking points? (He was busted because someone told on him, not because an official "caught" him). What is the guy who got second place to you supposed to think now?

WHERE WAS THE FRIGGIN OVERSIGHT AT NATIONALS?? It's all well and good to have a comprehensive ruleset but it does no good if it's not enforced.

[/rant].

You sure about that Jimmy? http://mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=747647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I must admit I think the Evo and STi will be the cars to beat in TTA (and TTS) in 2009 and an Evo did take TTA National in 2008. I also see them being a very hard cars to police for compliance....

Yes Jeff I am quite sure about “most zo6’s” besides I did not start this part of the thread and I am not interested in going down this road, in this sport times speak for themselves. But since you brought it up… Nice cherry picking though on my laps you forgot to mention that your previous TTB record at RA was 1:45+, first time on the track and it poured for the first day and only got two sessions on a dry track one which was DQ for a spin in which I ran a 1:41 my car had full interior and 150 lbs overweight but that is no problem. Hopefully, I will make it up there in March running TTA and clarify the issue.

That being said, you know how meticulous I am about being legal with my car. As you mentioned in your post nowhere does it mention the EDFC in the ’08 rules. Unless, I misunderstood, what you are saying here is that if a modification is not specifically mentioned in the rules as allowed it is not? This important and I need clarification for my self as I am sure other competitors. I am quite sure that there are other items out there that are not mentioned and can be overlooked.

This is one of the hallmark rules of most of the NASA series. If it's not mentioned, it's not allowed. Simple as that. It's the 4th paragraph of the rules sheet.

Don't take this personally because it is not intended to be. I don't know you and didn't get to meet you at Nationals. But if you really were as meticulous as you say you would have noted it and gotten clarification on it. I must have gone through my form and my car a hundred times looking for anything I missed. I know other guys that have done the same thing too. I can understand why you feel you need one of those but IMO overlooking that device and not understanding this part of the rules is really bad. This is the foundation of what everything else is built on.

In my case convenience was the reason for the EDFC and nothing else. In fact I could have got much better coilovers with the same money and decided against it simply because it was not convenient for a daily driver.

I believe you when you say it wasn't intentional, but I don't think it matters in the end! It's the stuff like this that brings down the sport. How is this different from the Porsche at Nats who was running a modded crank without taking points? (He was busted because someone told on him, not because an official "caught" him). What is the guy who got second place to you supposed to think now?

WHERE WAS THE FRIGGIN OVERSIGHT AT NATIONALS?? It's all well and good to have a comprehensive ruleset but it does no good if it's not enforced.

[/rant].

I do agree with your assessment and I am certainly not taking it personally. I am meticulous but missing that paragraph sure makes me look like a fool. Where I made my mistake is that I concentrated on the modification rules part and not on the overall document pretty stupid. Those that do know me know that this was not intentional and Dennis whom came in second knows me and the car and spent the whole year competing against each other so he knows that I did not have a performance advantage. In fact I could have easily unplugged the stupid thing because in spite of perception it is almost impossible and dangerous to adjust on the fly as mentioned before. Rest assured that it will not happen again.

[/rant].

maybe they were too busy looking at everyone's ECUs to catch the major stuff