New to NASA, trying to understand what class car fits?

95Jersey

I posted this in the other QA forum, but wanted to get as much coverage as possible.

I am thinking about buying the following car (Miata Grand Am Playboy Cup Car)

http://specmiataclassifieds.com/SMF/index.php?topic=223.0

Mostly the car is for HPDE and general track days. But since the car was built for racing, I would like to take it racing if possible. This is NOT a spec miata car, so I am not sure what class if any (outside Playboy Cup) could this car compete? I am unfamilar with the rules and are too lazy to read through hundreds of pages of rule books to figure it out.

Also if it qualifies, what class and do you think it would be competitive?

Welcome!

NASA's officials and participants would greatly appreciate it if you could please "read through hundreds of pages of rule books" before you sign up for your first event. This is an excellent place to start:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

From there it's only another 29 pages of reading to figure out where it classes for roadracing:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Performance-Touring-rules.pdf

Thanks & hope it helps,

Jon

Performance Touring ____ .

Base class is PTE* with a weight of 2474. You'll need to run it through the PT classification form to get final class (PTC? maybe).

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Performance-Touring-classification-form.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Performance-Touring-rules.pdf

You will have to read the rule book eventually, and more than once. Best to get going on it now.

Besides the Playboy Cup, these also run DP and ITE at the club level with the other racing organization.

Thanks for the responses! I am not too lazy to read the rulebook and IF I am even serious about buying the car, much less actually race it, I would run through it with a fine tooth comb. I looked at the rule book and in all honestly, it may as well be in a foreign language for someone who has never raced or opended a rule book before, so I was hoping the experts could help cut down my learning curve. So thanks!

So the bottom line is that it is eligible for a class (either PTE or PTC or something). Can anyone give me a guess or idea what it would run up against? Would it be competitive, or would it be the red headed step child of race cars in it's class?

The Playboy car just looks so well prepared compared to spec miata, that it would be a good investment and extremely safe to run. The car is just prepared like a pro race car.

PT sees just about everything. At Nationals this year D class had brand new RX8's, 30 year old 280z's, Porsche 944's, a new Civic Si, and my '92 Miata. Times were close between them all. The PT rules keep competition very close even though the cars are so different. Regionally, it really depends... some regions have very strong PT classes while others don't. It also depends on what class you want the car to finally end up in. If I had to take a swag I would say you would end up in PTD or C. Just a guess though.

But if you don't have a comp license yet - leave reading the PT rules for later. Unless you have a proven history of track time it will take you at least a year's worth of HPDE's to get your comp license. But it will be a fun time getting it Just read the first part of the CCR which covers HPDE, come out and have fun learning to drive it on the track. You'll need a helmet, long sleeve shirt and pants, and you'll want to show up early to get tech'd. You will also want to read the safety rules very closely to make sure what's in the car will be compliant for HPDE.

Patrick

Just to clarify. I have been running HPDE since 2001 and have over 120+/- track days up and down the east coast. While I don't have a comp license, I have been instructing for the past 2 years at various HPDE and have a several time trial wins under my belt, and have run open track days with open passing. I literally have several hundreds and thousands of miles of track time on road courses from VIR to Limerock. I currently run a 2006 Corvette C6Z with 500rwhp, totally set up by Phoenix racing with WC coil-over suspension and the widest Hoosiers the company makes. Words can not express how fast this car is compared to even the most prepared high HP race cars.

The same thing that makes this car so wonderful, makes it not so wonderful. Imagine a car with close to 600 crank HP, 3130lbs with 345 Hoosiers and Bilstein coil overs and sway bars strait off a world challenge car, BUT with NO cage, NO fire suppression...just a 5 point, some fiberglass an aluminum frame and a prayer!

The car is just too nice and too expensive to turn into a race car, so I am looking to sell the beast and downgrade to something as quick in the corners, but not hitting 160mph down every strait away. The Playboy cars for the money just seem so well prepared. I know the car will be slow, but I am honestly getting less and less interested with 600hp and doing 180mph if that makes sense. The other reason, is the car is very expensive to run and maintain.

I am going to do some more research, but it seems like a good car that can be both an HPDE car and occasional racer with priority on safety and not HP.

Given your comments and expressed interests I would strongly suggest looking at a Spec Miata. For less than 20K you can pick up a fully sorted front running car that is every bit as safe as this one. On top of that you are sure to find a decent size race group with plenty of competition in just about any part of the country (run it in IT and SM). Check out www.specmiata.com, plenty of good cars for sale that would seem to fit the bill. Good luck.

SpecE30 is becoming the hot ticket on the East Coast - esp in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast regions. <$10k will build a no-excuses National Championship caliber car. And they actually accelerate when you get on the loud pedal (at least a little bit )

nothing wrong with the ex Grand-Am car either. You could send me the car's detailed mod list & weight and I can class it for you when I'm bored

I looked into E30, but basically those cars (if I am correct) are from the late 80's. I don't want to buy something that is going to constantly need mechanical attention. Fortunately my wallet is good, but my personal time is VERY low. The one thing I LOVE about my car now, is that it is under dealer warranty. If I break it on the track, they fix it! My time is spent more driving and less wrenching. I know that will never happen with a real race car, but I would like to own something as new and late model as possible.

This is another reason the MX-5 cup cars are attractive, because they are all very new and for the most part besides rotors, hubs, pads, and daily consumables, should be pretty rock solid for several years. My buddy bought a 1991 Miata and while it was cheap to buy, and repairs have been "fairly" cheap, it is alway being repaired for something (nicke and dime). I figure a 2007 or 2008 used cup car with a single season is going to be in pretty darn good condition with years of life and once it is accepted into Spec Miata (2009 I beleive), will be highly sought after and should retain good value after the initial owner has taken the first hit.

Is there any other car that meets these kind of criteria that you guys think I should be looking at?

SpecE30s have cheap parts, are well built, and don't really go through stuff like you'd think. But don't take my word for it - visit an event and talk to some people that race them, and look around to see how often they're really working on their cars (rarely)

if you insist on a newer race car, well, :burningmoney: but every car ever made has a place to race between Peformance Touring (PT), Super Touring (ST) or SuperUnlimited (SU)