2005 rules-open up AIX?

JWL

If we go the other way and allow more extreme examples you get stuff like this

http://www.robisonracing.com/pages/1/index.htm

Very cool but out of the AIX league. I don't think there is an AIX car that will touch that on a straight away. Horsepower is not mentioned but Torque is over 700 though...

First, I have seen that car and it is not legal for AIX. It is a stockcar with a tubular front clip. It is also not quite out of the competitive realm in AIX. At Sears Point running on slicks it was only a second or so faster than Paul Mashouf in the late #49. That car is fast for a WC Touring car, but not even close to GT. I assume most of the AIX cars lie in between.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• racercosmo

• swhiteh3

• mwilson7

• Monroe

No matter what the rules are opened up to, there will be those who want to take it just a little farther. WE are the AIX car that raced at Hallett with TX region that Admiral was talking about on an earlier post. As far as Monroe racing with us, I guess it would've been okay, but.......The major thing I could see, if I remember correctly about his car in a magazine article, is the engine setback. That would be HUGE in the handling department. Our car is also an ex-WC machine , but not as highly modified as the LG cars. ( or our ex- neighbor Paul Brown's car which also had the air cleaner back under the dash) We've changed it quite a bit since we acquired it a couple years ago though. Our car weighs 3195, full of fuel, with driver. Stock engine setback w/351 gets 52%front. Believe me, when racing in ITE against the WC and GS Corvettes that are 1000# lighter at 51-52% REAR, it's pretty tough. I think the engine setback issue wouldn't be a problem if there was a minimum % front rule. If Monroe wanted to add weight to the front, no problem, let him race and have some fun...game on. That would be a much easier fix for most people than dry sumping, changing the firewall, and moving the drivetrain back to try to be competitive. Just my thoughts on the matter. By the way....had a great time racing with you guys. (didn't care for the standing start on sunday though ) Once my son Buddy started learning the track, we were getting pretty competitive. I wish we lived a little closer to some of the action over in the midwest. Hopefully we'll get to run with you guys sometime. Catch you on the next lap.

Stan Cisar /Buddy Cisar #75AIX 95 Mustang Cobra

Stock engine setback w/351 gets 52%front. Believe me, when racing in ITE against the WC and GS Corvettes that are 1000# lighter at 51-52% REAR, it's pretty tough.

Are you honestly telling me that there are WC or GS corvettes running around at 2200lbs?

Oops .... My typo, I meant 100# lighter. They ususally cross the scales 100 or so less than us and they weigh front and rear axles separately, that's how we were able to see percentages. (Unfortunately we were ususally crossing the scales BEHIND this certain ex-GS Corvette that dominated our class this year with the exception of a race in the rain when we were both beaten by a lighter Porsche). By the end of the year we had narrowed the gap considerably though. What are anyone's thoughts on the weight percentage idea as far as equalizing any engine setback differences. Not to change the subject.....but I just noticed a new Midwest Regional Series that has races a little closer to us, and in fact one at our home track Mid-America Motorplex. Good news, we'll spread the word. SC

I personally like a F/R weight distribution rule. Lots of pro classes have this rule. Many circle track classes also limit inside weight as well, although that is not that critical in road racing.

I don't agree with it in AI at this point. With the current chassis restrictions, firewall, floor, frame, motor location, etc. anyone creative enough could build a well balanced car and not be out of reach. If those rules were not in place then I would agree to the rule. Heck just being heavy and very tall could do it for some. And just the opposite someone running a heavy 4 bolt block or even a 351 with a zero balanced, affordable, crank will end up being more nose heavy than most others. It also depends on the amount of fuel one chooses to hold. Some prefer to only have enough for the race. Currently, I personally prefer to fill up (over 20 gallons) to help balance the car out since it is nose heavy. I can almost guarantee the new car I am working on will be under 51% with a 200lb driver and 20 gal. of fuel. Do we not want to make the pony cars fast as long as it is not something totally out of reach like the cadillacs in WC for example. There are other loopholes in the rules that should be attended to before this one.

I don't agree with it in AI at this point. With the current chassis restrictions, firewall, floor, frame, motor location, etc. anyone creative enough could build a well balanced car and not be out of reach. If those rules were not in place then I would agree to the rule. Heck just being heavy and very tall could do it for some. And just the opposite someone running a heavy 4 bolt block or even a 351 with a zero balanced, affordable, crank will end up being more nose heavy than most others. It also depends on the amount of fuel one chooses to hold. Some prefer to only have enough for the race. Currently, I personally prefer to fill up (over 20 gallons) to help balance the car out since it is nose heavy. I can almost guarantee the new car I am working on will be under 51% with a 200lb driver and 20 gal. of fuel. Do we not want to make the pony cars fast as long as it is not something totally out of reach like the cadillacs in WC for example. There are other loopholes in the rules that should be attended to before this one.

Now that we have been banished to AIX I agree completely with Vageli on this one. If you can build a 49/51 car then more power to you. Let it run like that.