2005 rules - wheel flares

swhiteh3

I get your point Mark, but it's not the fender flares that are your issue.

I think your issue really lies in the fact there is no track width restriction for other car makes. I totally agree.

Fender flares should be okay but there should be a track width restriction for everyone.

Time to move to the other thread!

Richard.

I agree with youRichard. I think Mark's concern is trackwidth limitations.

Mark, I cna't measure the race car as its up on jackstands with the wheels off at the moment. I did go out and measure my street car's track width as its just about as low as the race car is and its running 17 x 9.5" wheels on the street. Its track width as measured using a tape measure from roughly the front of the contact patch on each side is 72 1/4 to 72 1/2 depending how I look at the tape measure. Both of my cars have the stock front suspension, ie k-member, upper and lower arms as well as upright.

That's right in line with the limitationsof the fox mustang with all the aftermarket stuff on it.

How about somebody make an aftermarket front fender for the fox cars, fiberglass or other(some sort of plastic would be ideal), that is tastefully wider and allows these cars to take full advantage of the track width and tire/wheel rule. Another option would be to allow an add-on flare, much like is done on 911's. Again it must be tastefully done and appear similar to stock. Then allow it for AI.

there is a company that makes fiberglass fenders that are flared. they come in 1.5" and 3" flared. the company is called Maier Racing.

I know of the Maier flares. I would bet to run the maximum wheel/tire package and track width that AI allows, for the fox mustang, the 3” flares would be needed in the front and I don’t think it would blend in all that well with the rest of the body stock. Stretching the front fenders like most of us have done using the baseball bat method allows them to look more like stock and follow the body lines well. Another option would be to make a mold from the MM shop car which has the wheel arches very nicely flared. The griggs #40 car also has a very nice flare job that would make a nice mold, but it is stretched out much further for AIX purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

The fender flare/fender alteration rule may need more than what Scott initially proposed. As I understand rule 7.4.6 Wheel openings may be modified for the purpose of tire clearance only. That leaves interpretation wide open -as a matter of fact there is nothing in the rules that says that AI cars must have the tire covered by the fender (AIX yes - AI no). Fender flare would not be an issue for a competitor that chose to just trim the wheel opening and let the tires stick out under current rules.