2005 rules - dashboards

swhiteh3

I agree with ssfab about policing the current rules, like the one saying you cant use a body in white because it was never street legal.

I still don't understand how a dash rule is doing anything to better AI. I think they should have spent more effort on how to police the rules that were already there. Instead of making more rules that don't do anything for the racing which is what it's sopposed to be about.

That's it, I've had it. I'm taking my ball and going home.

Come on man you crybaby more than anyone here. I just got done watching the video from nats on Ferguson's in-car and seen you were in second place ahead of Patrick 100 feet before turn 1 and you made a stupid move following the green car and ended up getting boned so don't cry about slingshot this or crappy start that, you would have had it made if u turned behind Patrick. As far as picking up and going somewhere else and racing we will if they don't figure out a way to police it and quit writing stupid rules that have nothing to do with the quality of racing. It seems like no matter what Pat and I do either were cheating or our car is outside the rule or we botch the start and the bottom line is we were getting slaughtered on the straight away and stomping everybody's ass everywhere else

Wrong guy. That wasn't me. I started 6th and got f'd by being in the middle of the accordian effect. The entire field got past me before turn 1. 5th was the closest I got to the front.

If you're not cheating then who gives a sh!t what others think.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevepoe

• firehawkclone

• ST#97

• bluebandit48

Are you guys actually complaining about a rule with by in large will make cars look better? I think that improving the aesthetics of the cars will in general be a good thing. Futhermore it can be done for under $150 and a few hours of time?

Seriously?

Are you guys actually complaining about a rule with by in large will make cars look better? I think that improving the aesthetics of the cars will in general be a good thing. Futhermore it can be done for under $150 and a few hours of time?

Seriously?

I don't particularly care for it, but I already know how I'm going to do it as cheap as possible and just enough to meet the letter of the rules. If I was worried about what my car looks like, I'd drag race or be a wax and shine car show guy.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I grew up loving dirt track racing and the way you'd fix the body was to drill the rivets out, take that side of the body off, put it on the ground, pound it flat, and rivet it back on the car. Body work complete!

For me it is not at all about the dash, to have one or not is no big deal. It is about the logic behind the decision to implement this rule. Frankly I don't see any, there is a lot of talk about bring more cars into the series, keeping the cars we have, an other oil field metaphors you may chose. This rule seems in no way to help do any of those, in fact this and other rules seem to be driving other cars out of the seires.

If there are some facts that show how this and the other rules are good for the drivers, the seires or our sponsors then I am all for it and will be the first to have one heck of dash. Until then, it appears that this is the only way to let the leadership of our group know about our concerns.

I did find it very very funny that 5 years ago this was a hot topic as well and Todd himself seem to state that the rule was a bad idea if it affected existing cars. Now any one should be allow to change thier mind, but it seems like an explaination would be nice.

the way you'd fix the body was to drill the rivets out, take that side of the body off, put it on the ground, pound it flat, and rivet it back on the car. Body work complete!

TJ,

Knew I liked you. I'll have to show you where I cut my thumb off lifting a "side of the car" out of sheet metal brake. D@mn that stuff is sharp! Crewed on UMP Dirt Latemodels for 10 years.

This is how stupid the rule is....... You can run duct tape, string, or 1" Alum angle to the otherside and it would be legal! It doesn't say what a dash is, it doesn't say it has to be solid, it doesn't say how it has to attach! I guess that doesn't really matter, cuase i can bolt down duct tape I can go on and on

I agree. Leave well enough alone! This is not right...a principle thing!

I've looked in many AI cars and really can't remember one that looked real bad. 99% of the people are proud of their cars and have a nice metal/alum dash, small or large doesn't matter. I really don't understand this rule change after all these years. It will effect me somewhat, because my real nice looking dash ends about center of the car. It allows for maint to msd box, etc. Now I have to cover to r/bar/pil, no big deal, just add material, but really WHY?........makes me wonder about headman's cmc heritage in all due respect. However, he posted way back when, so has he changed. Have YOU?

Be careful when you start changing stuff, it's not just the dash, but it all adds up into a big fat wall that some people don't want to climb or ENTER.

my .025 cents.........done!

I don't think we have to change anything at all, We all still have a piece that goes from A-pillar to A-pillar that is attached to the firewall! Which is the "dashboard" by the way!(check links below) Also the rule doesn't say it has to be in a straight line, so your gauge pod attached to your rollcage cross bar goes from side to side! We are all done with the dash install of are cars We can now go back to the rules that mean something...........

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dashboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash_board" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's where I laugh a little bit.

Todd = Nasa Texas

CMC/CMC2 in Texas = Huge!

AI in Texas = Not so huge!

Difference between AI cars and CMC/CMC2 cars?

"Ah dunno, them CMC cars have them dashboard thangs. I reckon that must be it."

LOL!

This is how stupid the rule is....... You can run duct tape, string, or 1" Alum angle to the otherside and it would be legal! It doesn't say what a dash is, it doesn't say it has to be solid, it doesn't say how it has to attach! I guess that doesn't really matter, cuase i can bolt down duct tape I can go on and on

NICE! can't wait to see the rest of your car.

The ultimate irony of this new rule is that some of the attempts to comply to the letter of it will undoubtedly produce results that are as bad or worse than the perceived unsightliness that some rulesmakers apparently believe exists now.

Here's where I laugh a little bit.

Todd = Nasa Texas

CMC/CMC2 in Texas = Huge!

AI in Texas = Not so huge!

Difference between AI cars and CMC/CMC2 cars?

"Ah dunno, them CMC cars have them dashboard thangs. I reckon that must be it."

LOL!

LMFAO....someone else FINALLY gets my point. Be careful about making logical suggestions and speaking your mind or calling a duck an f'n duck...it hasn't been popular to do so.

Personally, I'd like to see an AI national director who runs/races AI, but.....

Funny how troy confused me with Dave! LOL!!! Guess I should have had a dash and a car number on it for the in-car video!

Funny how troy confused me with Dave! LOL!!! Guess I should have had a dash and a car number on it for the in-car video!

Sorry about that I don't know why I thought you were him?

The ultimate irony of this new rule is that some of the attempts to comply to the letter of it will undoubtedly produce results that are as bad or worse than the perceived unsightliness that some rulesmakers apparently believe exists now.

That's the plan. I'm thinking wood grain, real wood grain.

A 2x4 and plywood dash would be awesome. Doooo it!!!! And build a matching center console with a padded lid and cup holders while you're at it.

That's the plan. I'm thinking wood grain, real wood grain.

OSB is cheaper than plywood! Just sayin' !

Over 100 cars at the Grand Am practice this weekend.

I haven't seen a single car without a dash of some sort.

(they must all be CMC fans)

Really trying to keep a neat, clean appearance guys which a) helps the would be racer relate better. B) gives a more professional production vehicle look. C) provides a cleaner cockpit and billboard for incar videos....and many other reasons. The leadership team research indicated that less than 10 percent of the aI population would be affected. My position from 4 years ago remains. I don't think its right to make people put a factory dish back in. A simple sheetmetal dash would suffice but in the spirit of ai a cool fab job would be impressive.

I didn't want to be prescriptive to mandate specs and styles that were required. If it would be more helpful we can.

Todd

Todd,

Thanks for posting your logic on the dash rule.

Simply stated you believe potential AI racers will be better able to understand how to build, buy and race a car if it has a dash since many Grand Am cars have one. I guess if that is your true belief it makes for a good rule, and I am guessing will be trends of the type of logic we can expect into the future. It should be fun year as we all work to allow others to better related to our race cars.

Thanks for shareing your thoughts and your decsion on the new rules wich clearly have lots of data, and statistics behind them.

Over 100 cars at the Grand Am practice this weekend.

I haven't seen a single car without a dash of some sort.

(they must all be CMC fans)

Really trying to keep a neat, clean appearance guys which a) helps the would be racer relate better. B) gives a more professional production vehicle look. C) provides a cleaner cockpit and billboard for incar videos....and many other reasons. The leadership team research indicated that less than 10 percent of the aI population would be affected. My position from 4 years ago remains. I don't think its right to make people put a factory dish back in. A simple sheetmetal dash would suffice but in the spirit of ai a cool fab job would be impressive.

I didn't want to be prescriptive to mandate specs and styles that were required. If it would be more helpful we can.

Todd

A. Correct me if im wrong, but most new racers don't go to AI to start. And a dash isn't going to make them run with us!

B. Are we "production" or are we innovating and running the "finest performance products that tuners and manufacturers have in their arsenals. " We are to close to CMC2 now!

C. Billboard for what? Like what other reasons? If you tell me for sponsors, i can put stickers all over anyway! If there were GM sponsors!

I would be more descriptive Todd And a 4th gen GM still has a BIG metal dash under the stock plastic one!

Agreed as well. Nothing looks worse then peaking in a window and seeing a freaking mess of a interior.

I hope it becomes mandatory. don't like it ? go race someplace else..

You guys bitch more then my x-wife.

freaking babies good god