Balroks

Cage builders..

TurboShortBus
I don't think there is a rule saying you can't have the X sitting behind a pair or more of "NASCAR" style door bars, is there?

I don't think that there would be anything against doubling-up on driver's side bars as you mentioned. The Koni Challenge E46 Bimmer factory cage that I was checking out has that exact setup...X bracing for stiffness and NASCAR bars for impact resistance. Personally, I'm SOL for NASCAR bars at this time, since my car is kept outside and I need it to be water-, lizard-, and spider-tight, so the windows will stay in for a while.

Mark

Balroks
the "if its not safe enough" crack was most definitely directed at you Balroks and it sounds like its intended target is also making a good decision for their worries & all

The "X" style door bars probably do provide good stiffness, but I would hate to get hit really hard in the side with that config, less space to absorb the impact before you become a "crumple" zone. I don't think there is a rule saying you can't have the X sitting behind a pair or more of "NASCAR" style door bars, is there?

I hear ya My whole idea is safety, but trying to save weight where I can, very hard to do lol. I'm sure as myself and the car become faster and faster i'll add more bars. Damn i can't wait to get back on track, last event I was at was your barber classic LOL.

kbrew8991

Mark - my car will be an outside storage car as well, but I'm planning on having a ledge/bracket in the door of my MR2 where I can set the glass on it & shut as normal for storage. framless windows on the SN95/99 cars, right? (I have a Fox, they are full framed) If they are, would be very easy to do

Gators2001

I cut out lexan windows for my windowless car. When I have them in; ppl dont realize its not glass. They have to touch it to believe me.

When its go time they pull right out.

Balroks

W00t, starting to look like a race car now

100_2995.jpg

100_3000.jpg

100_3001.jpg

100_3004.jpg

100_3005.jpg

100_3006.jpg

And some lexan love

100_3002.jpg

Now it's not finished yet critics (when is a race car ever...done..really lol) Lots of stuff to work out yet but we can clearly see here, how much easier it'll be to get into the driver seat with the nascar bars verses the pass seat with the X. I have a metric ton of electric work, padding, smoothing and cleanup to do yet

Gators2001

koo!

keep up the picz!

racecarbuilders

an x and nascar bars get a bit heavy ..the way to combat impact... is the box filled w foam as i spoke about erlier ... it is even better than bars because it will absorb impact rather than transfer the energy...

if you notice even though i put an x in the passenger side i did leave the front a little lower than the back so you can get in and out

so many wires the wires the bloody wires ug

and the big clunky sheet metal gussets that block your vision on even some of the big name pro cars ..suck... bend the cage right and you dont need them ..and you didnt just hit that car because the gusset was blocking your view ..notice you cant even see tha cage form outside of the car and it doesnt block your view at all fit fit fit

Balroks

Bah, you know you metal guys love electrical, admit it *ducks and runs away*

TurboShortBus
Mark - my car will be an outside storage car as well, but I'm planning on having a ledge/bracket in the door of my MR2 where I can set the glass on it & shut as normal for storage. framless windows on the SN95/99 cars, right? (I have a Fox, they are full framed) If they are, would be very easy to do

Yup, the SN95 and S197 cars are frameless around the door windows. Fox framed doors make it nice and easy, and my buddy's Fox AI car has a good set of Lexan side windows for transport and storage. The problem I have recently seen with these windows in SN95 cars is that nobody has a gap of less than 1/2", but if I made them, then I'm sure that my OCD would be in high gear in order to have zero gap. It's just not a priority for me at this point, though.

Mark

kbrew8991

I was thinking that if you had the ledge inside the door, then the frameless would actually be easier to set the stock glass on and easy to pull out when you got there too, no screwing around with having to tilt it into the door just the right way and all... simple straight in, straight out

Balrok's lexan solution is pretty snazzy too - same idea though

Balroks

Ya I wish it never rained while at the track or I had an enclosed trailer, but Anthony's system is very simple, seconds to put em in/take em out.

TurboShortBus
Ya I wish it never rained while at the track or I had an enclosed trailer, but Anthony's system is very simple, seconds to put em in/take em out.

Having framed window openings helps a lot with something like this. But, without the frames, there isn't much to support the top and sides, and the Lexan won't have a snug fit against the chassis-side gaskets. Other windows on SN95 Mustangs that I recently saw tend to flop around a bit, and have gaps of 1/4" to 1/2" all the way around, which won't keep the small critters out of the car. I'm sure I can figure something out, though. I'll dig back to my childhood and make something that resembles the side windows in our 1973 VW Thing...lol

Mark

Balroks

Nice, ya i was trying to think what the hell snxx meant, then i remember my sisters 95 stang didn't have frames, so i see now. Hell plastic sheet will even work for the time being storage wise but won't last. Get-r-done?

TurboShortBus
Nice, ya i was trying to think what the hell snxx meant, then i remember my sisters 95 stang didn't have frames, so i see now.

Oops, yeah...we Mustang guys talk in code!

Fox chassis = 1979-1993 Mustangs (Fairmonts, Thunderbirds, Cougars, and Mark VIIs are variations of this platform)

SN95 chassis = 1994-2004 Mustangs

S197 chassis = 2005-current Mustangs

Mark

racecarbuilders

ya just dont call a shelby ...a mustang they get upset ..

the clips you see use dzuse buttons on the outside fore quick easy removal and install the frames definately make for easy tight fit .. on the frameless drag cars we use a latch hold the top of the windows in it catches usually a loop on the cage over and above a 1/4 4130 tube frame around the perimiter the tube frame holds the contour ...we have to because at about 200 + mph the vaccum created by the air comming off the winshield will suck the window out ....once it catches the air it is gone but they are really expensive for a silly cabinet latch 200 for a pair they should be 30 bucks someone is making a killing ..but they have to be flush and look good maybe with a little searching you could adapt a more generic latch for the top ..it wouldnt be as attractive but would work ill see if i can find a pic

Balroks

Here's the Pics for the work Anthony is talking about:

100_2513.jpg

100_2516.jpg

skiandrrmustang17010.jpg

skiandrrmustang17011.jpg

skiandrrmustang17014.jpg

100_1434_preview.jpg

100_1435_preview.jpg

wrx1.jpg

wrx2.jpg

000_0065.jpg

000_0067.jpg

Edited by Guest

Gators2001

Hey anthony,

Any word on my net?

racecarbuilders

gator they never called me back today on your net ill call them again monday ...how long the back order is expected to be on the mesh material and let you know

just a couple of pics of others i have done ....i have a whole book but wont bore you with all that ..sn 197 ..new body style mustangs one of my grand am cup cages and that stupid strong ralley car .....all just food for thought

balrocks picked up his car today ...so all should be in line for him to be at homestead... i am also going to try and be there as well ....so if i come up to you and say hi.... tell me who your alias is here it is allways cool to put faces w personalities here

TurboShortBus
i am also going to try and be there as well ....so if i come up to you and say hi.... tell me who your alias is here it is allways cool to put faces w personalities here

Blue 2004 Mustang GT #26, I'll be working tech inspection both mornings and will probably be pitting right next to tech with a red Fox Mustang and a white SN95 Mustang Cobra.

Mark

racecarbuilders

cool ill look for you

racecarbuilders

this is the latest some of you probably know robert the 299 active bmw e 46 it isnt done yet i just got it thursday morning but going wellok dont know why says the board attachment quota has been reache ill try later

TurboShortBus
ok dont know why says the board attachment quota has been reache ill try later

1. Post the photo on MySpace, Photobucket, Flickr, etc.

2. Copy and paste the photo's location as a link in the reply box here

3. Highlight the link, then click on Img in the option box, then submit the reply

4. Photo will magically show up without NASA having to actually host it and deal with file storage

Mark

Balroks

Or email em to me and i'll post em up again if your having problems

racecarbuilders

000_0120.jpg

I am one hell of an internet photo expert! Check out my roll cage work!

(fortunately, Mark is a moderator here and can hack in to fix my links without my knowledge)

obzezzed350

Looks great. Any pics of Balroks car?