iCard for Norcal/Thunderhill 25?

Gibscreen

I was told by Jerry that iCard was going to be used at all WERC enduros including Thunderhill. Based on this I bought the USB system. At the 6 Hour in June I could get the Gameboy iCard to work, but not the USB--not sure if it was our unit or the transmitter.

At Infineon this past weekend, they didn't even have the transmitter up, even though Jerry had said weeks ago it would be used for this event. But the race director said it wasn't being used.

Anyone know what's going on for Thunderhill? I'm none too pleased that I spent a chunk of change on iCard and haven't yet been able to use it. And I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio modem that I can only use at one event.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here... I bought a system after the 6 hour race at Buttonwillow, and have been unable to use it since. Ryan from SoCal was nice enough to fire it up for me at some of the sprint races, but at the enduro's where it's really needed the signal has been nowhere to be found.

I must say, that even at the Sprint races it was quite unreliable... so maybe that's the overall problem. If iCard can't get the system to work properly then I suggest that they give us all a refund, including NASA.

Here's a shocking idea. Why can't they run a free WiFi network, and publish the live results on a web-page? I'm sure that AMB would have something like this to tie into their system, and that way we don't all need to go out and buy special modems, etc.

It's not rocket science.

Any comments/suggestions?

Off the shelf WiFi systems are not strong enough to cover the entire paddock. They are typically only good for less than 200 feet. Some tracks have an expanded system to cover the entire paddock (they have ethernet wired across the entire paddock with wireless systems plugged in or range extender repeaters plugged in across the entire area). Thunderhill does not have a system that provides anything strong enough.

I'll work with Ryan to make sure the iCard is on and transmitting. The actual range of the ICard system should be around 3/4 of a mile so it should work all the way at the north end of the pitlane.

FWIW, we plan to broadcast live timing like we did at Nationals this year.

Our team (E0 VW #69) plans to have a laptop in our pitspot and use verizon wireless to keep an eye on the live results, weather, etc, post live blog, etc.

Edited by Guest

Yes, sorry I should have pointed that out as well. I will be using my AT&T cell phone with a tether to my PC. Coverage was a little flaky last time I was there, but I think the pit-lane was OK.

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

So, just want to be clear on options for live timing and scoring. If I bring my laptop with a Sprint/Verizon/At&T card, or tether it to my 3G phone with a modem I should be able to pick up the T&S on the web?

So, as long as I have access to the web I can get the feed?

Is there a specific website URL that is going to be used

Liam Downey

Team Redstone Motorsports

So, just want to be clear on options for live timing and scoring. If I bring my laptop with a Sprint/Verizon/At&T card, or tether it to my 3G phone with a modem I should be able to pick up the T&S on the web?

So, as long as I have access to the web I can get the feed?

Is there a specific website URL that is going to be used

Liam Downey

Team Redstone Motorsports

Correct. I am doing some testing right now if you want a preview.

http://www.nasa25hour.com/timing/

so the timing broadcasting system that was used in the past, ala the same as Grand Am, isn't going to be used any more?

That sucks

From Jerry's "Cheat Sheet" sent out 6 days ago:

E) NASA will be broadcasting live Timing & Scoring results throughout the pits and paddock. Anyone with a laptop and radio modem (click here for one vendor), using Rmonitor (free) will be able to view the results live. Additionally, there should be an area in Race Central (main building, 1st floor) to view the current standings live. Do NOT go to T&S during the race unless asked to do so by an official or a NASA official gives permission. In addition to the radio modem, we will attempt to broadcast live timing to a website. The link to the URL will be posted on the main page for the event: http://www.nasa25hour.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We will also employ the use of the iCard system. We will have iCard Pro cards for sale at the track for $199.95. Here is a link to the product http://icardus.com/icard%20a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

So there are three ways to get live timing: 1) radio modem, internet, or ICard. If you choose a system and it’s working properly, you probably don’t need the other systems.

I'm assuming that the GrandAm system you're talking about is the Radio Modem setup, which will be running by all accounts.

Regards.

Greg.