HPDE Insurance

DWNSHFT

One of our local track clubs recommends this company:

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/

This is single-event damage insurance specifically for HPDEs. It does not include liability and the minimum deductible is $1,000. I plugged in a $10,000 agreed value and got a premium of $68 for a 1-3 day event.

Thought you all might be interested.

I am not affiliated with in any way, make no representations or warranties express or implied.

That sounds like a great idea, but who underwrites the insurance? I don't think Lokton is the insurer, just the agent. I'd like to know a little more about the insurance company you're giving money to so you know they will come through when a claim is filed.

Other than verifying that stuff, its a great idea for covering what the regular companies wouldn't otherwise cover. Anyone know anything about the company?

DB

• 2 weeks later...

After a long interview with the representative of the HPDE policy, our group was accepted for coverage. We just had the event, and it was smooth sailing. We found the policy - to be real. We know of a few oops accidents out there -- including an Audi TT that received his check two weeks to the day.

One thing that seems to be overlooked about this policy - and the reason I like it so much, is that for a student with an instructor out there -- the instructor can drive the student's car - and oh my, if something happens - hey, the car is covered!!! Also, for the same money, I can list a second driver for another HPDE run group -- and they are covered too.

I understand Lockton-Affinity is now covering NASA's HPDE 1-3, but not 4.

Still a good deal!

Here is the underwriter. They look legit.

http://my.rlicorp.com/index.asp

DB

This is Ryan Staub from the HPDE Insurance Program (Lockton Affinity). As you research the underwriter, you'll see that they have an A+ rating. It took a lot of searching, but we found an underwriter willing to look at a different type of risk. Although he's not an enthusiast, he has been to a few events, sat through classroom sessions, and he even went on track with me.

We hope to provide a solution eventually for the HPDE 4 group. At this time our underwriter is taking a conservative approach and he strongly believes in the mandatory point-by required in HPDE 1-3. Past that, it is our understanding that some regions run the TT group with HPDE 4.

If you have any questions about our program, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

Past that, it is our understanding that some regions run the TT group with HPDE 4.

As far as NASA-FL goes, you are correct; TT and HPDE-4 are on track at the same time.

Mark

This is Ryan Staub from the HPDE Insurance Program (Lockton Affinity). As you research the underwriter, you'll see that they have an A+ rating. It took a lot of searching, but we found an underwriter willing to look at a different type of risk. Although he's not an enthusiast, he has been to a few events, sat through classroom sessions, and he even went on track with me.

Thank you for making this available to the NASA group. I hope this becomes very profitable for you and the underwriter. Meaning that you never have to pay out due to an on-track incident !

Gonzalo.

Even though I live in NC and "should" be covered under my normal (no exclusions) policy, I've signed up for the insurance a couple of times. Not having to worry about dealing with my normal insurance (and loosing my policy) if something happens makes the weekend more enjoyable. Cost for me is in the range of brake and tire wear for the weekend.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the coverage includes some coverage for debris removal, pollutant cleanup a and towing.

If your normal insurance company won't cover you for an HPDE incident, and you would be worried about losing your policy, then it's probably best not even to tell them if you ever have an HPDE incident.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm interested in this insurance. Would they cover you if my car is not registered for street use and it's only track car that's not really street legal?

Also, would they cover you at a Time Trial event not just HPDE?

Thanks

based on reading the above I gather that the coverage is based on HPDE being "driver education" meant to improve your driving skill & safety; rather than a "time trial" whch is a speed contest.

Would you cover you, at a TT event?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm interested in this insurance. Would they cover you if my car is not registered for street use and it's only track car that's not really street legal?

Thanks

I think I can safely speak up about Lockton-Affinity. They will only cover you if you are signed up for the HPDE 1, 2 or 3. I understand if Time Trials are being given they are in HPDE 4 and therefore, are not covered.

And yes, they will insure cars in the regular HPDE groups that are on the track - just takes money.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay - I thought I was subscribed to this thread but I didn't receive any indications that there were new posts.

Yes, you can cover track-only cars that are not licensed for street use. We have no issues with this at all.

At this point we are not providing coverage for Time Trials, although I do think it's right around the corner. We're taking one step at a time to ensure that we can be a long-term solution for the driving enthusiast community. Once we have a little more experience with HPDE, we'll start expanding out to TT, and maybe even 13/13 racing series.

Has any consideration been made for covering cars in HPDE 4 (Instructor Group) yet? In the regions I have run, (Mid Atlantic and North East), while passing is allowed at any point on the track, a point-by is still required required at all times for passing. In my experience, when the TT group runs with group 4 (for practice), they are to adhere to group 4 rules which means that they must only pass with a point-by.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

"The Dough" - shoot me an e-mail and we can discuss your situation. In some instances we have been able to extend coverage to HPDE 4 participants if I can confirm with the event officials that point-bys will be required for HPDE 4 and any TT competition will be split into different groups.

My e-mail is rstaub(at)locktonaffinity(dot)com

"The Dough" - shoot me an e-mail and we can discuss your situation. In some instances we have been able to extend coverage to HPDE 4 participants if I can confirm with the event officials that point-bys will be required for HPDE 4 and any TT competition will be split into different groups.

As an event official I can confirm that this is true for NASA Mid-Atlantic events specifically.

HPDE3 is the advanced group and HPDE4 is the instructor group; both allow passing anywhere on the track, and point-bys are required in both groups.

The TT timed sessions are wholly separate, with passing anywhere on the track, and point-bys not required.

TT does warm up with HPDE3 and HPDE4 - split based on which TT class they're in - during the first session each morning, but the regular passing rules for those groups still apply (i.e. anywhere on track with a point-by.)

The timing system is on during these HPDE3/HPDE4 warmup sessions primarily to make sure all TT drivers have working transponders (so we can give 'em advance notice that they're not hitting, or their signal is weak, long before the times actually count.)

A schedule demonstrating this breakdown will soon be available for our VIR event in a few weeks, from here:

http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_Feb_09/event.htm

Hope it helps,

Jon

Thank you Jon for clarifying this and making it official.

Thank you Ryan for speaking to me about my options. You'll be hearing from me very soon.

I may look into this more for the events that have more objects that might do damage. While I generally try to stay in control, and drive at a level that does not involve a lot of offroading, things can happen. Some of our tracks have a lot more runoff room, where any damages can be minimized.

While I see there is no liability coverage, would you guys set the value of your car only? What happens if you hit someone else? It reads like the policy should be for the value of my car only. Thoughts?

if you are doing a track event where everybody signs the standard waivers, then all participants are basically saying that they agree to not sue anybody else, so you would not be responsible for the other car's damage.

bruce

While I see there is no liability coverage, would you guys set the value of your car only? What happens if you hit someone else? It reads like the policy should be for the value of my car only. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...