1997 Cobra track car

robbodleimages

I just found out that my application to street license my 1997 Cobra Bondurant Advanced Racing School car was rejected. I can only keep the car if I can drive it on the street.

So, I needs to be sold. For those not familiar with Bondurant Mustangs, they were specially engineered and built by Roush. This particular car has 20k miles on it. Everything works that is supposed to work and I have been driving it to town regularly over the last month on temperary tags.

The car needs paint. Beyond that its strong and a great HPDE car or is 3/4 of the way to a nice race car.

This car is collectable. It was the cover car for the 4th edition of Bondurant's book. PM me.

I need to move this car so I can get something to drive. Any decent offer.

39bf_1.jpg

96car022.jpg

96car061.jpg

The cars are not titled and are listed in the purchase agreement as not for public roads. Most DMV's dont look that closely once they know the car is not stolen. To be legal in NC all my car needed was to have the emissions installed to pass the inspection which I had 60 days to do after getting my tags.

yea, they do. statewide. i understand in the metro areas, but i live in the rural east. no traffic here.

anyway. its a cool car. i wish i could keep it. maybe i can put the cash toward that 996 i've always wanted or maybe another stroppe baja bronco. something.

come get it. its fun

yea, they do. statewide. i understand in the metro areas, but i live in the rural east. no traffic here.

anyway. its a cool car. i wish i could keep it. maybe i can put the cash toward that 996 i've always wanted or maybe another stroppe baja bronco. something.

come get it. its fun

It actually varies by county and my county, Martin, does not have emission testing yet.

Wish I had the scratch to come get this car. sulk.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what you could try. Buy a blown-up V6 SN95 Mustang (they should be a dime a dozen on Craigslist...in the neighborhood of $500...they are down here). You can even get a wrecked one, but make sure that the title is clear in either case. Then, swipe the VIN tag from the donor car and slap it on yours, and register it accordingly. Then, sell the airbags and anything that is worth anything from the donor car, and you should just about break even. I'm not sure how the emissions tests in NC would handle this, though (not a lot of inspection going on here in FL...we get away with murder), since they might try applying V6 requirements to your V8, based on whatever the VIN says the car is. Sure, this might be a tad shady, but it's not like you would be trying to defraud someone by selling it to them. And, if anybody at the tag office asks, it's just a blown up V6 car that you converted to V8, but just don't volunteer any extraneous information to them.

This would work all day long in FL, but I'm not 100% sure about NC. It's worth considering, though.

Mark

That's a great idea, if the idea of committing a crime doesn't bother you. What you're describing is a felony offense in many states, if not all.

While the legalities may be questionable, I seriously doubt that somebody would do any hard time for doing this, especially if they were just trying to register their own car for the street for their own personal use; there are far worse crimes being committed. Now, if he was trying to take a totaled or salvage-titled car and make it "clean" and sell it to some poor, unsuspecting schmuck, then yes, he will likely have a problem. But, for what he wants to do, I would bet that nobody at the DMV would be the wiser.

It was just a suggestion that could be considered.

Mark

Bondurant cars have VINS, they were just originally sold with a bill of sale and have never been titled. If you bought the car and titled it, you would be the FIRST listed on the title and all you would have to do is pass your locally required inspection. Pretty simple stuff....if you need a stock Hpipe to pass emissions, I have one in my back yard. You would also need to install the air injection from a 97 and I would definitely remove the belt driven fan they installed and put the electric one back on.

That's a great idea, if the idea of committing a crime doesn't bother you. What you're describing is a felony offense in many states, if not all.
On top of any state crimes, I think tampering with a VIN is a federal felony. The car would be gone for sure, plus the loss of rights. Risking "hard time" is just one part of a felony conviction.

does the car have a vin#"tag" ? If no ,then you should be able to apply for a self assembly title. It's no different then if you make a kit car or a custom car/motorcycle. the tag "vin" is from the state and in Ohio It is installed by our Highway Patrol inspections . The title is issued from that. it will not give a make or model but well simply state self assembly with a current year and your name on it. Enough to drive it on the street and be legal. Vin swapping is legal in some states PA is one of them but it has to be done at a inspection office and requires proof of purchase of both vehicles. This is usually done on salvege vehicles not sure how it would work with a non wrecked vehicle.....Just a fyi those pop rivits that hold the vin tags in are not from home depot.

The car has a VIN tag. The car was inspected by the NC Theft Bureau and passed. NCDMV, however, somehow found the "Not for use on public roads" that is part of the purchase agreement and rejected the title request.

My information is this is a very rare accurance. I have a friend in Raleigh with a 99 Cobra Bondurant car with a title and tags acquired through the same process.

BTW...the car is still for sale.

Basically this car started life as a "Body In White" therefore, according to the FMC Agreement, can never be titled for street use. Your bud got very lucky.

Basically this car started life as a "Body In White" therefore, according to the FMC Agreement, can never be titled for street use. Your bud got very lucky.

No. Not at all. These are off the assembly line white 1997 Cobras. They are regular street cobras with mods. they have VIN#'s. body in whites do not.

If the car has a legit Ford VIN that is not adversely branded as salvage, junked, etc., and the car is compliant with Federal emissions and other regulations, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to acquire clear title to it. Is the Not for Street Use something Ford stipulated when they sold the cars to Bondurant?

If the car has a legit Ford VIN that is not adversely branded as salvage, junked, etc., and the car is compliant with Federal emissions and other regulations, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to acquire clear title to it. Is the Not for Street Use something Ford stipulated when they sold the cars to Bondurant?

Yes, its lawyer speak to make sure Ford never gets litigated over their part in the performance enhanced Mustangs.

I believe that technically they did not ever sell the cars to Bondurant. They were provided as part of a sponsorship deal.

Yes, its lawyer speak to make sure Ford never gets litigated over their part in the performance enhanced Mustangs.

Same crap I remember about the 2000R's...you had to have a valid comp license to buy one! LOL!!! Like that would stop a dealer from selling one to a guy with cash on the table!

Definitely not the same as the 2000Rs. The Bondurant cars must have been given to the school by Ford as non-salable units with branded titles/VINs as not for street use. When i went to Bondurant 7-8 years ago I remember asking about buying a car. This was long before they switched to corvettes or started selling the Mustangs and at the time the shop foreman said the cars could never be sold and would have to eventually be crushed. They must have worked something out with Ford. He also said "You don't want to own one of these cars anyway."

That would have been the '95 Cobra R that required the comp license. The '95R's were basically factory Koni Challenge GS cars(at the time IMSA GS). They were built with those specifications in mind. Add the roll cage and they were legal.

The 2000R was not built with any racing series in mind, to my knowledge. They were not successfully raced. The 95R, however, was.