09 schedules

firehawkclone

No American Iron West Champion Trophy, anymore?

No there will not. I got the last one and will forever be known as Ryan Walton, American Iron West Champion of the World!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Holster Maker

• trackboss

• JKnight

• lelady

• 3 weeks later...

California Pony Car Cup, huh? Sounds cool. I better get on the ball since we'll be racing soon.

"Ryan Walton, American Iron West Champion of the World"... I think all of us AI West guys would agree that it's very fitting and deserving that Ryan won the last AI West championship. Congrats again, bud.

California pony car cup sounds reasonable. Too bad it starts so early. Mustang definately not ready. Can I run my corvette? I'll even give a head start to everyone. It makes less hp and weighs several hundred pounds more than an AI car. Is that handicap enough?

California pony car cup sounds reasonable. Too bad it starts so early. Mustang definately not ready. Can I run my corvette? I'll even give a head start to everyone. It makes less hp and weighs several hundred pounds more than an AI car. Is that handicap enough?

I'm in the same boat, can I just tow mine behind the dually!! I promise I'll stay off the line.

You know I spent hundreds of hours building the mustang and I'm still building. Only to find out my street corvette is way faster. What a disappointment. Decorate the mustang with all the latest gadgets that cost a fortune and it is a still a complete pig compared to my C5. Kinda makes me lose my motivation to keep working on the mustang.

You know I spent hundreds of hours building the mustang and I'm still building. Only to find out my street corvette is way faster. What a disappointment. Decorate the mustang with all the latest gadgets that cost a fortune and it is a still a complete pig compared to my C5. Kinda makes me lose my motivation to keep working on the mustang.

I'll be your Huckleberry

My pony loves to play with street 'vettes on the track

http://www.powertvonline.com/xp2/d3d3Lm15bXVzdGFuZ3NpdGUudHY/3044/1050/off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.powertvonline.com/xp2/d3d3Lm15bXVzdGFuZ3NpdGUudHY/2560/1050/off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even had fun with a few modified 'vettes

http://www.powertvonline.com/xp2/d3d3Lm15bXVzdGFuZ3NpdGUudHY/2563/1050/off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ha, whenever you're ready.

That'll be standing start - best three outta five laps - at dawn...no need to spot me but I run Hoosiers and you run streets 'k?

Now we just need to figure out what track.

I doubt my car will ever find its way to NoCal...but who knows, maybe we'll see each other in Utah?

Sears point is worth the travel. Sure, head start, no problem, and if you can rip off a sub 1:45 in a TTA mustang then you win. Heck, I don't even think a TTS mustang can do that.

Then you haven't put the correct effort into the mustang! I have yet to find a street vette that would worry me including a S/C'd C5 Z06...and I only have 312 rwhp!

My race car is a '95 Cobra R. Aside from a few suspension pieces from Steeda its pretty much a stock car. Its street legal and ive driven it on the street when the full interior is in it.

I have no trouble keeping up with a street C5 corvette. A Z06 can pull me a couple of car lenths on a long straight. If I was willing to do the necessary to lighten the car another 150-200lbs, I could keep up with the Z06.

I am confident in saying I know my way around a mustang and a road course as well as anyone. I've raced AI since the beginning. None of this is new to me. Just trust me you've never met a well driven C5 with a well done suspension if you are faster. I guarantee it. I believe at the nationals a TTA C5 was running 1:33? I'm pretty sure thats better than the AI cars did.

A well preppared race car C5 Z06? Sure, no sweat. Faster than my R. No question. Its a Corvette. If you think you are going to out run an equally prepared Corvette with a Mustang, you got on the wrong train. A factory C5 and a tuned 95R? Thats a little different.

Thats a prepared car against a street car. The same principle in how the 65 Shelby GT350R could beat the 65 Corvette in B production. Prepared car vs street car.

On even terms, though, its not a fair fight....meaning Z06. I have proof that the 95R could compete with the non Z06 C5. 1998 SCCA Run Offs at Mid Ohio. Class Touring 1.

1. (1), Erich Heuschele, Oxford, Mich., Det, Dodge Viper GTS, 19.

2. (3), Joe Sulentic, Pompano Bch, Fla., Fla, Steeda Q, 19. (My Cobra R)

3. (4), Tom Murphy, Wilmette, Ill., Chi, Ferrari F355, 19.

4. (5), Scotty White, Puyallup, Wash., Nwst, Chevrolet Corvette, 19.

5. (2), Jeff Altenburg, Catonsville, Md., CFla, Dodge Viper, 8, n.a.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=21748&FS=SCCA*" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am confident in saying I know my way around a mustang and a road course as well as anyone. I've raced AI since the beginning. None of this is new to me. ....

Well I am not poking at your experience or skills...just doing a little friendly chest thumpin'

But I was reacting to "street 'vette" vs "friggin' modified street 'vette'. I have been able to keep up with and eventually pass every unmod'd C5 as well as some lightly mod'd Z06s.

Just for reference - all three videos I posted were of my car before she was completely race prepped - could easily be classed in TTC but say TTB to make it easy -just a tad UNDER 300rwhp, at stock weight (plus roll bars but before cage was final, so figure 3700+ with driver and no front chasis stiffening). 3 of the 'vette drivers were comparable experience to me and were TTS. Yeah its all relative. Not indending to start a "car v car" tripe...but if it does I'll wear the trouble maker moniker

Just trust me you've never met a well driven C5 with a well done suspension if you are faster.

You are probably right....do those even exist?! I always figured vettes were prosthetic driver mods for middle aged balding lard asses that came with cool black jackets with the corvette logo on the back?!

Hey V why don't you take off the 315 Hoosiers and replace them with 275 Toyo RA1's and then you can compare the two . I don't know what the T1 lap record is now but it was around 1:49 a few years ago.

Guy

Because chose to use my TT points wisely. They weren't even A compounds. Besides I was told you were bragging about how the red mustang$$$ was almost as fast as the AI record at BW during the grassroots event. That car is definatly not TTA. That being said how about YOU take off the hoosiers AND the supercharger and see what you can do. After all, you're the ringer driver griggs seems to think so highy of. All I have is some bolt on parts and my credit cards don't carry a balance.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm just still confused, and it's probably due to not racing for over a year with you all. Cal Pony Cup = the old American Iron West? But it's only 4 races? But if a person runs 11 races in "So Cal" American Iron and wins, what is that win? American Iron West So Cal? Or what?

Vikki is doing a lot of "recap" but there's been no "cap" to "re". Where's JWL??? I guess I was under the impression from the email on our yahoo group that Cal Cup was it's own class, but now Walton is the last ever West Champ? I don't have an issue with Walton at all, but I want to know if the cup I had been running for is over with. Wish someone (Ryan Flaherty, JWL, Peder, anyone, Vikki???) had let the runners know in advance what changes we were to expect.

Is Cal Cup what we used to know as AI West? Is that because we have new NASA regions in the "west" and CA can't claim the West title any more? Fine, I understand, but please just explain the changes. Yes, #29 has been hit or miss to events lately but NASA AI is the only place I'm going to campaign this car and I want to know WTH is going on.

And I'd appreciate updates being done on both our Yahoo group email and here on the Forum. Vikki, if you're in talks with NASA admin, then yes, what you write is probably recap in your perspective; but you are representing us and we aren't in those meetings. That means it may be news to us. And understand that we have people who are interested in racing in AI West (or whatever it's called now) who might not have been to the track with the group in awhile and are out of the loop. These people need to know the entire scoop, not a summary. Communication in a large and widespread group is critical - summaries and lack of information may hurt our group. We want more competitors, not less people because of misunderstandings and vague information.

Thanks for listening,

Christine

What I make of it:

It consists of two regions in Cal.

Nor Cal AI-AIX-CMC-FFR and So Cal AI, etc.

Four of those events (north and south, 2 each region are "Cal Cup")

Also these crossovers can be used for points in your home region for Region Championships.

So look at the schedule, pick what you want to run. For instant, all So Cal and Cal Cup chase, which would be two events in the Nor Cal Region and your local region races. Region-wise will drop so many races.

Like me, I'll run some of our Nor Cal races and maybe one crossover in BW, to make-up for the week-end I miss up here.

I know it seems hard, but really it is simple. North and South with one 4 event series.

So AI West is history, Ryan was the end! We are now Nor Cal AI and So Cal AI, basically a class with-in your NASA region, so NASA Nor Cal AI or NASA So Cal AI!

If you have the bucks and time, you could run both ends...........

This should help the long term outlook of the series, helping with travel, costs, and having new people enter, due to being more localized. Not a bad time to start it with our economy. The state is very long and probably a good thing after you think about it.

Mike nailed it. The Cup is pretty much a pared down version of the old 7 or 8 event West series we ran from 2001-2008. In light of the crap economy and some feedback we received that folks did not want to travel in 2009, we came up with something a bit different that will offer a SoCal series, a NorCal series, and a crossover series. The out of region options for the SoCal and NorCal series give you a chance to travel if you want to and still accrue some points for your "home" series.

So, sorry if this was not communicated well enough, but it's a pretty simple idea that is just an attempt to reduce costs and still offer some interregional competition. If the demand exists in the future, perhaps we can bring back the big West tour, but until then The Drift King will remain the West Champion for the AI class.

-JWL

• Members

Christine,

This change was developed to help many people like yourself that seem to have a desire to race but rarely make any actual events. You have stated many times that you can't run a full schedule so I would hope you would see this 4 weekend change as a great opportunity. You can run 4 weekends with the full field of AI cars and toss your hat into the ring to win a championship. The best part is that you only need to travel outside the region twice to make that happen. If you didnt event want to travel the two races outside the region, you could stay local and concentrate on running for a SoCal regional championship.

In light of the economy and past attendance trends, this change should ensure large participation for 4 weekends and help local drivers stay enthusiastic if they don't have the time or extra dollars to travel.