Proposed Rule Change - 911 GT3 Cup Car Dyno Requirement

ianacole

Proposed rule/change: Allow 911 GT3 Cup Cars with sealed motors and transmissions to compete without Dyno certification

Background: 911 GT3 Cup Cars with sealed motors and trannies will nominally put out the same HP/TQ to the wheels (assuming a 15% drive line loss). Can we set this standard across the board for all 911 GT3 Cup Cars and not force them to get recertified on the dyno each period (pending above ruling).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cstreit911

• 116svvh

• ianacole

• Brad Waite

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are talking about GT3 Cup cars then I think they should be dyno certified. There are many different model year GT3 Cup(993/996/997) which all put out different power & torque. To allow a blanket entry without dynoing would leave alot of speculation as most don't have sealed motors unless they were running in a specific series. If your running a GT3 Cup car you can afford the $$ to have it dyno'd.

-Scott B.

Consistent with my new way of thinking as I try to align with our new President, not only should the cup cars be dynoed, they should also pay for the dyno's of us "working racers". Come on, let's share the wealth here.

Brad

Absolutely should NOT be allowed. They need to be dyno'd. Unless we are prepared to go though the same "sealing process and inspection" of these cars, which we are not, any certification by a different racing body is irrelevant.

All cars in GTS abide by the same rules, period. I'm rather suprised this was even proposed honestly.

Consistent with my new way of thinking as I try to align with our new President, not only should the cup cars be dynoed, they should also pay for the dyno's of us "working racers". Come on, let's share the wealth here. Brad

You voted for Obama didn't you?

All cars in GTS abide by the same rules, period. I'm rather suprised this was even proposed honestly.

+1. It will be interesting to see what happens with this proposal since it appears the long-time racers clearly don't like the proposal.

Edited by Guest

Just trying to be inclusive and reset my understanding of what capitalism means. I think this whole wealth redistribution thing may have some legs and we may want to apply it to other parts of our lives. I've been stealing firewood from my neighbors at night, they look like they have a pretty big pile!

Brad

Bring back GTSU and let them run there, after a dyno or not.

M-series bimmers too. In fact, John, don't you think we should have a variance on our cars for age? Our cars are both almost 40 years old. Shouldn't we get an extra bonus HP for every year older than 1980?

Absolutely should NOT be allowed. They need to be dyno'd. Unless we are prepared to go though the same "sealing process and inspection" of these cars, which we are not, any certification by a different racing body is irrelevant.

What Chris said.

I certainly don't disagree, but it was asked, therefore I put it out for discussion, which has weighed heavily to the "they get dyno'd" side.

Strongly agree.

wouldn't a dyno put them in what used to be GTSU. I don't think any of them fit into GTS5. If GTSU were reinstated, they'd be eaten alive by PCA GT1 and some GT2 cars and god only knows what BMWs.

They'd be close to the edge of GTS5 I believe

Assuming 15% driveline loss and 200# for fuel and driver:

'08 cup is 2733/357 you get 7.7:1 or so...

'07 cup was 20 HP less but maybe a little lighter...

Either way, prepare to have your doors blown off if the driver is decent.

If your math is right it would be interesting to see some show up. I have yet to see any that weren't running in SU. I figured it was the HP/weight ratio. I wonder why they haven't been running with us. I know they have several , other venues besides PCA, like SCCA, Grand Am and IMSA.

I certainly don't disagree, but it was asked, therefore I put it out for discussion, which has weighed heavily to the "they get dyno'd" side.

Ian,

Where are these questions originating from??

In Florida we came close to pissing off all of our GT3 Porsche drivers. They now run in GTS U. My understanding is that their cars fall right in the middle of the GTS 5 range and since the motors are sealed I support the exemption.

If they aren't running because they don't want to dyno, well, one might think they are cheating. Every time I've been in the paddock at Grand Am races, cupcars were dq'd for computers, intakes etc. The dyno is the surest way to cheaply catch/deter cheaters. Besides, every cup car owner I know dynos his car anyway.